Sign in with
Your question

C2D Gaming Build, Suggestions needed please

Last response: in Systems
August 9, 2006 9:09:57 AM

After my first post wasn't so successful on the replies, and my main questions were not answered. I start reading through the last 2 pages worth of Core 2 Duo threads to get an idea for myself. And I have decided to go with C2D even though I will only using it for about a year. Even though I will only be using for a year at most, I want the best possible gaming experience I can have in that time to tied me over with studies and work. so still do not know if I should get the E6300 or the E6600? But currently this is the spec I'm looking at any advice or suggested changes would be very much appreciated. my pricing is about £1200-1500 at max. I will be OC'ing but not heavily at first, main use is for gaming and CAD as quoted below.

CPU: Intel C2D E6600 or E6300
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 or Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ3
PSU: Antec TruePower 2.0 550w
Case: Antec P-180 (already own the P-160, and love it, love Antec Cases) so I won't change case, dead set on it.
RAM: G.Skill 2GB DDR2 HZ PC2-6400 (2x1GB) CAS4 Dual Channel Kit
GPU: HIS ATI Radeon X1900 XT ICEQ 3 SILENT Heatpipe 512MB GDDR3
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 200-250GB 16mb Cache SataII x 2
Optical Drive: 16x DL DVD-/+RW, not very expensive but any suggestions would be good I suppose
Cooling: I was going to use stock one for the mean time but suggestions also would be good

I'm not so bothered about SLi or Crossfire, because it only has to last me a year, but even if I decide to go Dual or Quad GPU by the time I can afford another X1900XT Crossfire card there will be out and alot more options for Nforce 590/570 and ATI RD600 etc.

Another personal preference is that 965P instead of the 975x. I do not believe the P5WDH is worth the money in the long run, short term yes but long term no, remember the P5WDH has received numerous bios revisions where as the 965P is still new. plus I believe the 965P to be more future proof incase I need it. I have looked at the Asus 965P boards but the gigabyte seems to be better steered for performance than the Asus boards, they just look fancy thats all. but advice and suggestions are always welcome and i will take everything said into consideration.

Quote:
First off, I will explain my situation to provide all of you with a better idea of what I’m trying to achieve. Recently my odd rig died and decided to sell the components that still worked and start a fresh (except my monitor), so currently I’m running my HP Pavilion DV1240ca notebook as my main rig for all my main needs to a certain point. I mainly use my rig for Gaming and CAD work, my favourite game at the moment would be TESIV: Oblivion so I need a computer up to the power requirements to be able to play it not particularly top notch but playable. Its probably wise to tell you its needs to last me at least until this time next year when I will be joining the British Army and will not have much need for a PC as of that. I have roughly £1200 maybe a little more but wouldn’t mind saving some money if possible. Is it worth buying a Conroe with my situation if so which the 6300 or the 6600?

So my general reason for posting is for some of you people out there that know more than me about PC's and Hardware what I should compile together that will at least last me a years worth of gaming? Example builds would be great.

Many Thanks,

GenesisUK
August 9, 2006 1:25:21 PM

Hey Genesis. I'm in the UK right now too on vacation but I'm building a new system as soon as I get back which is quite similar to your's. However, £1500 is like what, 2700 American dollars at least is it not? You could build a system much better than what you're building. MY system is 2000 CANADIAN dollars but the components are very similar to yours. I'm getting:

E6600, P5W DH Deluxe, OCZ GameXstream 600 watt, P 180, 2 GB XMS Corsair DDR 2 PC2-6400 CAS 5, ATI 1900xt, Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB X 2, Nec 3550, and the Zalman CNPS9500.

My suggestiona:

Optical Drive: Nec 3550A (cheap reliable good)

Cooling: Zalman CNPS9500 or 7700 CU (50 dollar area, cheap, good, 9500 has been known to cut CPU temps in half or more)

CPU: E6600. 4mb cache, more future proof, only a lil bit more than the E6400 and E6300 and has 5-35% increase in gaming purposes.

HDD: Same but the 320 gig version. Only 10 dollars more and sometimes less than the 250 gig models.

Graphics Card: The ATI make of the 1900XT might be cheaper.

Don't SLI/Crossfire: Waste of money

P5W DH Deluxe is expensive because of it's features but it is known as the best overclocker and the best for that paticular card. Asus ships free BIOS's if yours doesn't support conroe but with your budget the P5W Dh Deluxe might be worth it. It saves from having to buy a 50 dollar wireless card at least :D  so thats a biggy for me.

Best of Luck in your new system.
August 9, 2006 1:35:03 PM

Thanks for the reply, I was starting to think this was another failed post and was about to give up. anyway if you don't mind me asking where abouts in Ontario are you from because I have only just recently got back from Oshawa/Toronto Ontario lovely country. other than that. and about the money thing, yeah if converted its a good amount in CAD and US dollars when it comes to buying out there but with most sites not shipping international I am stuck to UK pricing or European which is not so good but 1200-1500 will still get me a good PC. maybe its an idea go to US or Canada again on holiday build it and then pay the small import tax at customs on my return lol.
August 9, 2006 4:32:59 PM

Lol, yeah, I'm just outside Toronto in the Brampton/Missisauga area. Personally, I don't shop online usually, because everything I need I can find at my local stores. The only problem is sometimes I don't find brand names,but most of the time it doesn't matter. I just walked into the shop looking for the X1900XT, but whatever brand the shop has I'll take.

Europe isn't too good on getting parts. Some sites ship international but that will cost an arm and a leg. The trip to the US/Canada to buy the parts and then paying the ta would be best if the plane tickets weren't ridiculously high (BA wanted 1300 dollars for my trip to england, that's a computer right there). Your best bet is to look around local stores and focus on getting the product, but not worrying about the company that makes it. Over 10 different companies make the 1900XT, but it doesn't matter which one you pick as long as ouget the 1900XT in some way shape or form. Just look around and you could seriously raise some specs in your system.
!