physics cards. dual core cpu?

Jak_Sparra

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
Warning this is a n00b question:-

I have a dual core chip etc (see my signature for rig details).

Most games only use one core i think.

Why cant the other core do the physics, surely its powerfull enough? :?

You may being to point out how simple i am now.

Thankyou. :)

grpcing

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2006
I don't know if it was on Toms Hardware on somewhere else I found a discussion about Aegia Physx card.

Cellfactor, is a game that requires a physx card, but someone has modified it to work with only physics software. The difference between sofware and hardware acelerated was only 5 fps (64 vs 59 fps).

But when destroying a cloth object the machine without any acceleration resulted in error or freeze. Noone knows if it is a software bug or if the cpu isn't capable to calculate the physics.

I've heard that the Physx processor is much better for calculating physics (130M calcs/sec) compared to a dual-core cpu.

Jak_Sparra

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
ok, i'll have a look around for that. but still, it sound like the potential is there for a dual core to be a poor mans PPU! :D

I hope so, cos i'm not forking out for an Aegia Physx card!. :(

burn-e86

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
to be honest i dont think that the agiea was really made for increase frames, more for increased decals and prettier picture.
the core dedication sounds like a bitching idea, but i wonder if the northbridge would be able to handle the dataflow
also the agea is suppose to be tuned to do calculations, this will have an effect on what its capible of doing.
the coolest idea ive seen so far is having an SLI or Crossfire system, but rather then having 2 GPU doing the graphics, one is dedicated to physics. suppose to be really good, but i wonder if it will get past the prototype idea stage. oh and Nvidia is suppose to use hovoc which means that there is no additional hardware to buy if it is already in the system

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=222
overview of GPU physics