Conroes Excitement, where is it?

allhell

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
I was expecting to see a lot of intel fanboys gloating about their new conroe rigs but i'm not seeing it at all, is something wrong?
Should I really wait before trying to get one?
Whats the real story guys?
Come on,,,, start bragging & give me some hope.

allhell

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
I have 8 AMD's 4 K7s, all mobile bartons, 4 K8s & 1 P3 I need a 939 dual core AMD (prices are good now) & I would like to try a conroe but its not looking good so far.

lcandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I was expecting to see a lot of intel fanboys gloating about their new conroe rigs but i'm not seeing it at all, is something wrong?

Mines in my machine finally ideling away at 24-28 degres C (yes, its gone down lol). Im too busy enjoying my new machine to come here bragging, it'll soon be out of date and Intel/AMD will have released something better.

And if you are interested in getting one, I would highly recomend it (with serious consideration over a heatsink and cooler with screws, to avoid the horrible plugs in the 775 socket, thingy).

allhell

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
And if you are interested in getting one, I would highly recomend it (with serious consideration over a heatsink and cooler with screws, to avoid the horrible plugs in the 775 socket, thingy).

Thanks!!! point taken.
BTW Those temps really look good,,, what is it @ fulll load?

I wonder about that too. Even the few lucky souls that have gotten a new Conroe system are only saying something like. "I have one".
Makes you wonder if they really have everything up and running, or they paid so much for the CPU, they don't have money for the rest of the build yet?

I think there are 2 issues why you are not seeing a lot of bragging.
1.They are not readily available, yet.
2.What is available is not being priced dirt cheap like everyone was raving about 3 months ago, yet.

Basically, most fanboys are having to save their allowance for a while longer, and wait for them to become more available for less $$$$.

I was thinking about an E6600 system but I cant find it for sale. I've looked and only found an E6400 for $399 which is a bit high for that CPU. I've found the X6800 but its on back order for over $1200.

AMD's CPU's are all easy to find but the X2 5000+and the E6600 outperforms the X2 5000+ so its the only Intel I would get due to the higher mobo costs.

I'm thinking now about an AM2 Epox mobo for about $75 with the X2 4600+ for $319. The E6400 is close the same performance in none gamming and cost $399 on back order and a cheap MSI mobo for $97. I would save around $100 on the AMD system over the E6400 but I want the higher powered E6600.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002

Mines in my machine finally ideling away at 24-28 degres C (yes, its gone down lol). Im too busy enjoying my new machine to come here bragging, it'll soon be out of date and Intel/AMD will have released something better.

Good to hear that you got that overheating issue fixed. Are you still going through the 30 second delay in post?

I am waiting for my C2Ds to show up. =) Got 3 coming.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
There lots of uncertainty right now, especially because of people waiting for DX10 cards and nForce 590 mobo's to support Conroe. I want to buy one, but I'm waiting until the end of the year to hear whats going to happen about DX10, if hybrid HDD's will come around, better mobo's, whats the status on Vista, and other such things... Very uncertain time...

However, the few posts I've seen from readers have all been good. But there are still lots of issues with bios and compatability plaguing a lot of people, so waiting for this platform to mature a bit more is a good thing...

But I'm sure the Conroe performs perfectly well!

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
am2 150
mobo <100
receive date now/week.
If I had to buy a computer today I'd go with Am2.
Am I going to buy a conroe, yes.
Will I right now?
No.
Also there has been a ton of excitement.
It's most used buzz word.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Basically, most fanboys are having to save their allowance for a while longer, and wait for them to become more available for less $$$$.

While I am still waiting for my C2Ds to show up, to call everyone that is getting or has gotten a C2D a fanboy is pretty goofy. I am neither a fanboy or a loyal fan of a company, even though I work for one of the them.

Oh, and I don't need to save my allowance, I can afford my stuff, quite easily.

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Good point.
Some people have the money and are willing to wait for back order.
Don't claim they're receiving the holy grail and all others are stupid.
Avoid stereotyping and grouping people.
People buying conroes aren't fanboys.
People raving probably are.
Conroe is the best chip.
If price doesn't matter too much may as buy one now.
Chances are you have a computer and don't need it this week.

Oldguy

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
Agree with Doughboy. Not going to invest in new cpu until it is supported by better mb (hopefully 590 will start to flow soon and will live up, at least partially, to the hype), DX10 video etc. Not really interested in spending $$$$ on a build knowing that mb, video and hd have virtually no future by the fall. My outdated spare parts boxes do not need more very expensive company.

lcandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Good to hear that you got that overheating issue fixed. Are you still going through the 30 second delay in post?

I am waiting for my C2Ds to show up. =) Got 3 coming.

Yes, I'm very happy with the system in general, although there have been a couple of shakey moments, I fear thermal damage may have been done (keeping an eye on everything, either that or just a few bugs to be worked out). Sadly, I haven't been able to fix the 30 second wait during post, however, I have found hitting F8 (perhaps any key, I cant check right now, trasnfering a few hundred gigs over wifi), brings up the Windows logo and it loads then within seconds.

I'm really confused, and am too tired to troubleshoot anymore. Maybe later I will look at resolving the issue.

You got 3 comming? Wow, good luck and have fun. I really hope you dont run into the same problems as me. Standard heatsink and fans or aftermarket?

Starskysdad

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I work for Intel so i guess I am one of the lucky ones, I have an extreme running and am over the moon with it.

I used to be an AMD fan bouy believe it or not but the new conroe really does get spanky spanky wiv it.

My PC has a new lease of life, the last time I noticed such a massive improvement in all tasks was when I first installed a 3200+ when they came out.

i can restart windows and be back in and working within 15 seconds - that is top banana

I dont see the point in bragging - just being able to load BF2 and be first on a map is good enough for me (first choice for vehicle any1)!

dthomason119

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I second that motion. The operative three letters in "fanboy" is "boy". Last time I looked between my legs, I was a man, with a real job and three kids. My children get allowances! I get paychecks! I get what I want, when I want. I order my C2D from TD the same day is came out, after just purchasing the Pentium D 940, so money is never an issue. I'm very, very happy w/ my C2D build, but when something new comes out that's faster? I will get that also.

BTW: "I'm Rick James, B%^&%!"

There lots of uncertainty right now, especially because of people waiting for DX10 cards and nForce 590 mobo's to support Conroe. I want to buy one, but I'm waiting until the end of the year to hear whats going to happen about DX10, if hybrid HDD's will come around, better mobo's, whats the status on Vista, and other such things... Very uncertain time...

However, the few posts I've seen from readers have all been good. But there are still lots of issues with bios and compatability plaguing a lot of people, so waiting for this platform to mature a bit more is a good thing...

But I'm sure the Conroe performs perfectly well!
Thats good advice thanks.

lcandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I second that motion. The operative three letters in "fanboy" is "boy". Last time I looked between my legs, I was a man, with a real job and three kids.

*asks innocently* How can you tell just by looking between your....

Nevermind. I don't want to know. :p

the_vorlon

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
I have 27 E6600s on order, when I get them, the systems will be built.

Excitement?

These E6600s are replacing Athlon 3800+ systems, so maybe 50% faster.

Nice, good value for the money.

But hey, these are chunks of silicon.

They don't make you coffee in the morning, they don't have a nice smile, they are, well... silicon...

I just don't get excited over hardware.

zornundo

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I second that motion. The operative three letters in "fanboy" is "boy". Last time I looked between my legs, I was a man, with a real job and three kids.

*asks innocently* How can you tell just by looking between your....

Nevermind. I don't want to know. :p

A big fleshy bit amidst a gargantuan fur patch. :roll:

dthomason119

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
For: Zero or [Zornundo], I didn't actually have too see it, your mother told me, then your sister came in to reiterate your moms initial response after we were done. Take a look at my location and you will see where I am!

zornundo

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
For: Zero or [Zornundo], I didn't actually have too see it, your mother told me, then your sister came in to reiterate your moms initial response after we were done. Take a look at my location and you will see where I am!

Not for me.