  • Ethernet Card
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
May 11, 2004 10:56:36 AM

Hi All

I have a question.
can we use SONET/SDH OEOs of STM-1 short haul/intermediate distance
range in 100mbps fast ethernet applications?

i have a 4 port fast ethernet switch that connects to multimode fiber.
I need a distance range of 2-15 km. my question is: can i use a stm-1
range oeo???
thanks in advance
(some vendors claim that their product is suited for SDH/ATM/and
ethernet applications. i am not very sure if it is possible....please
guide me)

More about : oeo fast ethernet applications

Anonymous
May 11, 2004 10:22:14 PM

On 11 May 2004 06:56:36 -0700, tease12p@yahoo.co.in (tease12p) wrote:

>Hi All
>
>I have a question.
>can we use SONET/SDH OEOs of STM-1 short haul/intermediate distance
>range in 100mbps fast ethernet applications?
>
>i have a 4 port fast ethernet switch that connects to multimode fiber.
>I need a distance range of 2-15 km. my question is: can i use a stm-1
>range oeo???
>thanks in advance
>(some vendors claim that their product is suited for SDH/ATM/and
>ethernet applications. i am not very sure if it is possible....please
>guide me)

OEO devices tend to be protocol and bit-rate dependant. An SDH OEO
device won't be able to regenerate native Ethernet signals.

-Terry
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 10:26:40 PM

On Tue, 11 May 2004 18:22:14 -0400, Terry Baranski
<tbaranski@mail.REM0VE.com> wrote:

>OEO devices tend to be protocol and bit-rate dependant. An SDH OEO
>device won't be able to regenerate native Ethernet signals.

I should re-word this: unless the vendor specifically says that native
Ethernet is supported along with SDH, it almost certainly isn't.
"Ethernet/ATM applications" sounds like marketing speak for Packet/ATM
over SDH.

-Terry
May 12, 2004 11:26:03 AM

Hi terry
Thanks for the reply.
the idea is to convert optical to electrical stream....and assuming
the ethernet phy device does the electrical signal generation for
ethernet...would it still cause a problem?

and the datasheet says the following

Application
ATM 155Mbps SONET/OC-3 SDH/STM-1 interconnections
FDDI
Fast Ethernet
Point to Point Link

thanks in advance
Terry Baranski <tbaranski@mail.REM0VE.com> wrote in message news:<vjk2a0tekoqlqcatlj89i25q4pc9bqkcd2@4ax.com>...
> On Tue, 11 May 2004 18:22:14 -0400, Terry Baranski
> <tbaranski@mail.REM0VE.com> wrote:
>
> >OEO devices tend to be protocol and bit-rate dependant. An SDH OEO
> >device won't be able to regenerate native Ethernet signals.
>
> I should re-word this: unless the vendor specifically says that native
> Ethernet is supported along with SDH, it almost certainly isn't.
> "Ethernet/ATM applications" sounds like marketing speak for Packet/ATM
> over SDH.
>
> -Terry
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 9:51:19 PM

On 12 May 2004 07:26:03 -0700, tease12p@yahoo.co.in (tease12p) wrote:

>Hi terry
>Thanks for the reply.
>the idea is to convert optical to electrical stream....and assuming
>the ethernet phy device does the electrical signal generation for
>ethernet...would it still cause a problem?
>
>and the datasheet says the following
>
> Application
> ATM 155Mbps SONET/OC-3 SDH/STM-1 interconnections
> FDDI
> Fast Ethernet
> Point to Point Link

The specs are pretty vague -- I think you'll have to ask the vendor to
be sure that it supports native Fast Ethernet.

-Terry
!