Harris2508

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2002
I just installed an Asus P5B MB with the E6400 CPU. Everything seems fine except the MB temperature (as reported by Probe) is running up to 47 degrees after the PC has been on awhile. I note the Northbridge / Southbridge are fairly close to the video card which is passively cooled. Frequently the MB temp is higher than the CPU. The case is a Lian-Li which mounts the MB upside down and has lots of airflow.

How high is too high for MB temp (or, more accurately perhaps, the Chipset Temperature). I'm wondering if I should be adding a chipset cooler.

Thanks a lot for any thoughts, guys. :D

viper84

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2006
I have an e6600 running on an P5w dlx and am getting roughly the same temps. I also wondered if the temps where a little high but eveything seems to be running ok atm.

Omid

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2005
Ok, I have an intel system with an Asus board, My Northbridge reads in at 39 on boot and slowly climbs to 42 which is where it stays.

My case is very small and has very bad airflow, my brothers system MB is at 35. I had a problem with my northbridge once where the paste had hardened and my mb was at about 70, i had problems but the MC Ran fine.

Do you have a heatsink on your northbridge?? because you should!!

Harris2508

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2002
I guess my prior experience was that the MB was always significantly cooler than the CPU. Frankly, I don't know how hot is too hot for a chipset. Since they do have heatsinks it seems reasonable that they would heat up.

Yes, this does have heatsinks on both the northbridge & southbridge.

Maybe I'm concerned about something that I should not be!

Thanks for your reply.

--Bob

JustinCase380

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
I had the same question with my Asus P5B-E. The MB temp would stay around 50 with the CPU at 45 at idle.

I took a old 80mm fan and set it in my case blowing on the southbridge chipset and now the MB temp stays at 34 at idle.

I noticed that the southbridge heatsink is smaller than the northbridge and it is closer to my video card which is passively cooled.

I bet if you tried the same you'd get much cooler temps.

PFZ1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
:hello: Well i use a P5B board and 3 months ago i decided to Oc my E6400 managed to crank it up to 2.80 before PSU started to get abit peedoff. So i decided to touch the north bridge cooler sod doing that again :pt1cable: im still trying to grow back my fingerprints :cry: , i goto thinking why not stick a fan onto the H/Sink :bounce: so i did a nice juicy 60mm-60mm 5000rpm 1 :wahoo: sod it only cost me 3 quid. :love:

No problem with H/Sink being over heated it`s cold to the touch when i over clock the CPU(My own Preference) Dont try this at home Kiddies LMAO!!!!! :lol:

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
I have noticed that most of the Asus P35 boards i have bought will have a fairly high northbridge temp... around 35-50 depending... The higher end boards have better cooling and are cooler but if you have the low end P5B then there is no issues with running at this temp. If you are OCing suggest a third party HSF or even do as PFZ1 suggests and wack a nice little fan on the ah heck