Sign in with
Your question

Large price jump in one day?

Last response: in CPUs
August 9, 2006 12:54:23 PM

They've been having price issues since they posted the Conroes.
August 9, 2006 1:07:10 PM

You mean gouging issues?

got a 6400 for $270 + $10 shipping through Tiger Direct. It's on its way. I can't believe the Egg is out of stock on this overpriced shinola.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 100 à CPUs
August 9, 2006 1:27:42 PM

The price on DDR400 is bad too- $200 for 2 1GB sticks of *value* RAM! I paid $50 less than that just a few months ago!! I think that the online retailers are jacking up the prices on anything that's not a K8 CPU or a NetBurst item.
August 9, 2006 1:39:23 PM

& it will get worse also. I said this 2 days ago & got flamed,,, I guess i'm like the inq...lol
August 9, 2006 1:49:43 PM

nobody knows whats going on with NewEgg
August 9, 2006 1:55:28 PM

Its the price/availability war... These pc parts distributors are testing the waters to see what the consumer will pay for the "hot new item" If they are scarce and will be for months and months watch the price hit 5-600 dollar range.. People will pay that much I promise
August 9, 2006 1:59:46 PM

I think the only one who won here is TD. They sold out the first day, 15% cancel they orders but still many got their processors shipped and the rest are coming on the 14.

Newegg is way too expensive, even ZipZoomfly will always be out of stock with their lovely prices.

Now, I just made a new topic because TD has now the E6300 and E6400 in stock OEM and Retail. So I hope before the 14, they get the E6600 Retail so I cancel my order with the OEM and get the Retail
August 9, 2006 2:14:37 PM

Down with the Egg
August 9, 2006 2:27:57 PM

its been up to $459 almost all of yesterday!

I am getting mine from buy.com for $340!
August 9, 2006 3:00:53 PM

Supply versus demand.
The price won't level down until supply is higher.
That's why certain people have talked about whether it is worth it to buy a conroe now.
Yes it's better.
Most price effecient... perhaps..
Solution for a budget system.
I'd say no way.
Almost everyone is out of stock on non 6300.
So why not charge $50-100 more.
They'll still sell out at that price for awhile.
August 9, 2006 3:01:37 PM

So I can buy an similar speed AMD cpu for less money? That sounds pretty good to me.
August 9, 2006 3:06:50 PM

Basically yes.
AMD is yet to lose anything.
High end performance they own currently.(Intel)
Power consumption and cool they win.(Intel)
Availability and price of high end chips they lose.(Intel)
The amount of conroes sold if you take into account dell hp's etc.
Are only going to be 5% or so for now.(if)
Even among enthusiasts won't hit 25%-50% any time soon due to price/availability.(Intel)
I'm certainly not buying one until prices/market/supply stabilizes/
Am I going to pay $300 for a processor I hope will ship 10 days from now.
So best case scenario I get in 2 weeks worst case 2 months.
Or sometimes pay more?
No.
Some people will get lucky/buy at the right places.
However they're still pricey.
August 9, 2006 3:44:45 PM

Quote:
The price on DDR400 is bad too- $200 for 2 1GB sticks of *value* RAM! I paid $50 less than that just a few months ago!! I think that the online retailers are jacking up the prices on anything that's not a K8 CPU or a NetBurst item.

DDR prices should be increasing.... much of the production has moved over to DDR2 limiting supply.

Its the same reason that 17" LCD screen prices are going up while 19" screen prices are going down... as manufacturing switches over it restricts supply raising prices ( this is especially true as retailers keep no inventory in fear of being caught by price decreases).
August 9, 2006 3:47:31 PM

newegg wont low prices until the 15. becayse on the 14 is when the stores are getting the shipments of conroe.
August 9, 2006 3:54:48 PM

Quote:
Supply versus demand.
The price won't level down until supply is higher.
That's why certain people have talked about whether it is worth it to buy a conroe now.
Yes it's better.
Most price effecient... perhaps..
Solution for a budget system.
I'd say no way.
Almost everyone is out of stock on non 6300.
So why not charge $50-100 more.
They'll still sell out at that price for awhile.

I just ordered my e6600 from buy.com for $339 with free shipping. Yea it's on backorder, but it's a good price.
August 9, 2006 4:00:40 PM

I wonder if Newegg is using an automatic pricing system that tracks how much inventory of a specific product is left and adjusts prices accordingly. Assuming this, there will be a bottom price whenever that product hits a certain inventory level. This could lead to intraday price changes.
August 9, 2006 4:03:28 PM

Well we have people ordering from TD, Newegg, ZipZiomfly, now buy.com

We all just want to have the most valuable chip asap
August 9, 2006 4:54:20 PM

The Buy.com option looks like a total deal. When do you think they will get the chips?
August 9, 2006 5:03:26 PM

I'm going to guess August 18th earliest with anything as late as mid september. I have a feeling some sights may put more on back order than their shipment. So they'll come in then a number of people will have to wait until the next shipment. I don't know when their second shipment would arrive. I would be wary of larger back order than incoming shipment. I hate to say it but I perceive people screaming about how long their order is in backorder. I'll say "I told you so, *sigh*"
August 9, 2006 5:11:50 PM

hopefully I get on that 14th shipment from buy.com, I ordered on the 7th before newegg and zzf hiked up their prices. My order still says "processing" though, I hope that doesnt mean that they are having issues with my billing and wont give me my place in the backorder queue until after I have been "processed", that would really suck!

For all you buy.com orderers, are your orders still showing up as "processing"? Should I call them?
August 9, 2006 5:54:44 PM

I couldnt find their #. I wanted to call and find out about their stock level.
August 9, 2006 5:57:27 PM

their number is 877-780-2464
August 9, 2006 5:59:09 PM

Quote:
I couldnt find their #. I wanted to call and find out about their stock level.

From Switchboard.com:
(949) 389-2000

When you call there will be a message with the toll-free customer support line...sorry I cannot find the paper with the number on it...I called them about an hour ago.
:wink:
August 9, 2006 6:19:40 PM

On a similar note:

For the x6800: Newegg listed this with an ETA of 9:53am PDT today. It went in stock for about 2 minutes at 8:00a PDT, and then back out. 9:53 rolled around, it didn't go in stock, and now it just shows out of stock with no ETA. I have no idea if they shipped any at all - I was able to put it in my cart for a sec, but it was out of stock when I tried to check out. Price went from $1159 out of stock to $1255 in stock for two minutes, and now it's out of stock $1255.
August 9, 2006 6:45:20 PM

I called Buy.com. It's not looking good. They have no idication on when they will get their chips.

They normally have info on how many orders are placed and how much stock they are expecting, and when, but they havent even heard from Intel regarding the ETA of the E6600. They guy said Intel is just silent.

May take a bit longer than expected. I would love to click buy, but I'm concerned. Anyway, just FYI.
August 9, 2006 7:07:19 PM

Quote:
You mean gouging issues?

got a 6400 for $270 + $10 shipping through Tiger Direct. It's on its way. I can't believe the Egg is out of stock on this overpriced shinola.

Supply/Demand issues. If people wouldn't buy them at that price then the price would go down.

If people don't like NewEgg prices they can shop else where.
August 9, 2006 7:40:01 PM

Quote:

True and that's the beauty of capitalism, eventually that's what people will do. Might be good for the them $$ wise on the short term but they should be careful as not to abuse it and give the people the distinct feeling that they are getting screwed.
August 9, 2006 7:41:25 PM

Quote:
You mean gouging issues?

Supply/Demand issues. If people wouldn't buy them at that price then the price would go down.

Why even bother trying to explain business and economic concepts to techies and kids? :roll:
August 9, 2006 10:36:39 PM

Quote:
You mean gouging issues?

Just so!

I was watching x2 5000 prices pretty close just before the conroe release. In 18 hours I watched prices go from $459 to $329 to $702 as availabilty went from in stock to unavailable.

Just before last christmas, I watched athlon XP3200 prices go from $119 up to over $500 to eventually stabilize at $175. An obsolete athlon XP for gidgets sake!!

Simple supply and demand at work.

Peace
August 10, 2006 4:15:16 AM

When that happened to me,,, twice I called the egg & cussed & got the parts at the cart price I had & once with free shipping... dont be afraid to call them.
August 10, 2006 4:52:17 AM

I got in just before the buzzer it looks. I nabbed a Core 2 Extreme at Newegg by pure luck when the price was $1150.00. 10 minutes later I checked and it was sold out.....didn't know they raised the price.

I wouldn't blame them for raising the price. Heck, you can buy one now at the same price NewEgg is charging:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2341566&CatId=2400

Can't wait to get my system hooked up. I got a CoolIt Freezone CPU chiller I'm slapping on this bad boy. I think I might be able to push 3.8 ghz stable with it. :twisted:
August 10, 2006 6:43:08 AM

The name of the game is not whats worht it but how much are you willing to pay :twisted:
August 10, 2006 9:26:17 AM

Quote:

I was watching x2 5000 prices pretty close just before the conroe release. In 18 hours I watched prices go from $459 to $329 to $702 as availabilty went from in stock to unavailable.

Just before last christmas, I watched athlon XP3200 prices go from $119 up to over $500 to eventually stabilize at $175. An obsolete athlon XP for gidgets sake!!

Peace

Is this some sort of fetish that you're into .... or do you just have a little too much time on your hands. :D 
August 10, 2006 10:56:48 PM

Quote:

Peace

Is this some sort of fetish that you're into .... or do you just have a little too much time on your hands. :D 

Lol, no, I had been watching the 5000s as I had planned to purchase. I got fed up with the x2 5000 price/availability BS and bought the Conroe.
Same with the 3200XPs. I was building a system as a XMAS gift for a family member, so, I was watching the prices. :wink:

Peace
!