Large price jump in one day?

sluzbenik

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
You mean gouging issues?

got a 6400 for $270 + $10 shipping through Tiger Direct. It's on its way. I can't believe the Egg is out of stock on this overpriced shinola.

The price on DDR400 is bad too- $200 for 2 1GB sticks of *value* RAM! I paid $50 less than that just a few months ago!! I think that the online retailers are jacking up the prices on anything that's not a K8 CPU or a NetBurst item.

amddiesel

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Its the price/availability war... These pc parts distributors are testing the waters to see what the consumer will pay for the "hot new item" If they are scarce and will be for months and months watch the price hit 5-600 dollar range.. People will pay that much I promise

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
I think the only one who won here is TD. They sold out the first day, 15% cancel they orders but still many got their processors shipped and the rest are coming on the 14.

Newegg is way too expensive, even ZipZoomfly will always be out of stock with their lovely prices.

Now, I just made a new topic because TD has now the E6300 and E6400 in stock OEM and Retail. So I hope before the 14, they get the E6600 Retail so I cancel my order with the OEM and get the Retail

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Supply versus demand.
The price won't level down until supply is higher.
That's why certain people have talked about whether it is worth it to buy a conroe now.
Yes it's better.
Most price effecient... perhaps..
Solution for a budget system.
I'd say no way.
Almost everyone is out of stock on non 6300.
So why not charge $50-100 more.
They'll still sell out at that price for awhile.

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Basically yes.
AMD is yet to lose anything.
High end performance they own currently.(Intel)
Power consumption and cool they win.(Intel)
Availability and price of high end chips they lose.(Intel)
The amount of conroes sold if you take into account dell hp's etc.
Are only going to be 5% or so for now.(if)
Even among enthusiasts won't hit 25%-50% any time soon due to price/availability.(Intel)
I'm certainly not buying one until prices/market/supply stabilizes/
Am I going to pay $300 for a processor I hope will ship 10 days from now.
So best case scenario I get in 2 weeks worst case 2 months.
Or sometimes pay more?
No.
Some people will get lucky/buy at the right places.
However they're still pricey.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
The price on DDR400 is bad too- $200 for 2 1GB sticks of *value* RAM! I paid $50 less than that just a few months ago!! I think that the online retailers are jacking up the prices on anything that's not a K8 CPU or a NetBurst item.

DDR prices should be increasing.... much of the production has moved over to DDR2 limiting supply.

Its the same reason that 17" LCD screen prices are going up while 19" screen prices are going down... as manufacturing switches over it restricts supply raising prices ( this is especially true as retailers keep no inventory in fear of being caught by price decreases).

mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
Supply versus demand.
The price won't level down until supply is higher.
That's why certain people have talked about whether it is worth it to buy a conroe now.
Yes it's better.
Most price effecient... perhaps..
Solution for a budget system.
I'd say no way.
Almost everyone is out of stock on non 6300.
So why not charge $50-100 more.
They'll still sell out at that price for awhile.

I just ordered my e6600 from buy.com for $339 with free shipping. Yea it's on backorder, but it's a good price.

zornundo

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I wonder if Newegg is using an automatic pricing system that tracks how much inventory of a specific product is left and adjusts prices accordingly. Assuming this, there will be a bottom price whenever that product hits a certain inventory level. This could lead to intraday price changes.

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Yesterday wasn't the e6600 $419 at newegg? Check out today's price!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115003
it's an economical system called capitalism. the more people buy, more they raise the price. If you dont buy, someone else will, and so on......

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
I'm going to guess August 18th earliest with anything as late as mid september. I have a feeling some sights may put more on back order than their shipment. So they'll come in then a number of people will have to wait until the next shipment. I don't know when their second shipment would arrive. I would be wary of larger back order than incoming shipment. I hate to say it but I perceive people screaming about how long their order is in backorder. I'll say "I told you so, *sigh*"

UnWorldly

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
hopefully I get on that 14th shipment from buy.com, I ordered on the 7th before newegg and zzf hiked up their prices. My order still says "processing" though, I hope that doesnt mean that they are having issues with my billing and wont give me my place in the backorder queue until after I have been "processed", that would really suck!

For all you buy.com orderers, are your orders still showing up as "processing"? Should I call them?