Video Card Stuttering

trunxkam45

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2005
Last year I built a new computer for 900 USD with the following CPU, Video Card and RAM:

AMD Athlon 3200+ 2.01 GHz
1.00 GB(2x 512) of Corsair 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400
Sapphire Radeon x800 128 MB PCI-express

My video card can produce some nice visuals, and in Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, they were actually recommended settings.(AA is turned off though) But when I run such games, the game slows down considerably. And I am not certain what the problem to such performance issues are. I am looking to buy Neverwinter Nights 2, Battlefield 2142, and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic when they come out this October but I also want to be sure I can run such games smoothly.

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
So what is your question? You are not making much sense. What do you mean

But when I run such games, the game slows down considerably

Do you mean that the game plays fine but slows down in some areas? Or do you mean that it simply plays as a slide show from the start?

Anyway, If I read your mind correctly, I suggest that you upgrade your CPU and video card. What you have is somewhat old news. Your video card was mainstream over a year ago. Mainstream cards are rarely decent performers.

trunxkam45

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2005
Well my question was if I should get a new video card or not. And to clarify my performance issues, I notice that there can be periods of smooth gameplay(even at the highest settings) but everything slows down when there is increased activity. (i.e. a battle)

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
to clarify my performance issues, I notice that there can be periods of smooth gameplay(even at the highest settings) but everything slows down when there is increased activity. (i.e. a battle)

See above. Also, before you ask a question like "should I get a new video card?" don't be lazy and read the forums. There are dozens of threads addressing this question. You will find all the answers you need.

TRENDING THREADS