Sequel to Planescape: Torment In The Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightsol

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Aww yeah! Finally! PS:T was and quite possibly still is one of the best RPG's in gaming history. I mean what other game can you complete escaping almost all combat in such a very long game!

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
YES! THANK YOU JEEBUS!!

Edit: it looks like this will be a "spiritual successor", ie not in the Planescape setting, no Sigil and no D&D. I suppose it's better than another brain-dead hack'n'slash like Diablo, but still disappointing.

G

I played this when I was 13. I've spent the last 13 subconsciously craving a sequel. Half my lifetime. If this were to go to Kickstarter it would be the first project I could completely get behind. ::takemymoney::

PadaV4

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
[citation][nom]lightsol[/nom]Aww yeah! Finally! PS:T was and quite possibly still is one of the best RPG's in gaming history. I mean what other game can you complete escaping almost all combat in such a very long game![/citation]
Fallout 1 and 2. Planescape was an amazing experience though.

[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]YES! THANK YOU JEEBUS!!Edit: it looks like this will be a "spiritual successor", ie not in the Planescape setting, no Sigil and no D&D. I suppose it's better than another brain-dead hack'n'slash like Diablo, but still disappointing.[/citation]

I gather Project Eternity will not be bound to DnD ruleset, but other than that I have no info on this Planescape sequel not using DnD. Did you get this from this article, or do you have some more info on this? This would be a turn down.

lightsol

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
[citation][nom]PadaV4[/nom]Fallout 1 and 2. Planescape was an amazing experience though.[/citation]

I would say that they are on par with PS:T, but i wouldn't say that they were better.
In my personal opinion the throne for the best rpg's is kept by BG2/FO1+2/PS:T

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]Murissokah[/nom]I gather Project Eternity will not be bound to DnD ruleset, but other than that I have no info on this Planescape sequel not using DnD. Did you get this from this article, or do you have some more info on this? This would be a turn down.[/citation]

Wizards of the Coast discontinued the Planescape franchise and declined to reestablish it. I think that means it can't be licensed or used. Also, the first line in the article says
The successor to the hit PC RPG from 1999 will likely abandon the Planescape theme.
... so that's cleared up. Maybe Wizards of the Coast will be persuaded eventually, if enough people want it bad enough.

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
I didn't try this game until it was really old and never really got into it (maybe due to graphics). I tried one other time with the same results...but I feel like I SHOULD like it.

[citation][nom]dotaloc[/nom]I didn't try this game until it was really old and never really got into it (maybe due to graphics). I tried one other time with the same results...but I feel like I SHOULD like it.[/citation]

I know that feeling, man. Had the same with Arcanum. By the way, you are right, if you could get into the game despite the dated interface, you'd meet one of the best stories in DnD universe.

HolyCrusader

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006

Reminds me of an article I read somewhere not too long ago about which older, but excellent games would benefit the most from an HD remake.

HolyCrusader

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Much of the magic of Torment was the already-established Planescape setting itself. Without that, I can't even remotely consider it a sequel. We know little about PE, but at this moment I consider it a stretch to even consider it a spiritual successor.

Perhaps if/when the final game comes out I'll be proven wrong, but currently this just seems like a grab for attention.

HolyCrusader

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006

Planescape mostly used 2nd edition rules, albeit modified in some areas due to the nature of the Nameless One and his companions. I don't recall if there were any CRPG's that fully used 1st edition rules - even the old SSI Goldbox games (Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, etc) used a modified set of 1st Edition rules that became part of 2nd Edition (THAC0, for instance, didn't exist in true 1st Edition rules).

Status
Not open for further replies.