mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
I installed a new hard drive with XP Pro on it and cannot get a connection to the internet. My old drive with XP home has these settings under "network settings...(I am not home right now so I do not remember exaclty). There are 2 ethernet connections...one is Intel and the other is just an IEEE thing, and there is also a "internet gateway connection". On the new drive under "network settings" there is just the IEEE setting. I click on "make a new connection" and nothing happens. I followed Comcast's directions to set a connection but I still cannot connect. I know I should be home and post exactly what I have on the old drive, but hopefully someone has a suggestion anyway. :)

xiii

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
Did you check the device manager to make sure the network interface that doesn't appear listed is correctly installed? Maybe the new windows installation for some reason didn't install it. Just a thought.

Boggerslosh

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Did you check the device manager to make sure the network interface that doesn't appear listed is correctly installed? Maybe the new windows installation for some reason didn't install it. Just a thought.

Yes, do make sure the motherboard ethernet drivers and/or the ethernet card is installed. They were erased when you reinstalled XP. To check right click on My Computer, click Manage. On the left of the window that appears click Device Manager. Anything with a yellow exclamation on it isn't installed or is having some other problem. If Windows has drivers for it then it would have automatically installed.

If/when your ethernet stuff is installed all you need to do is set the TCP/IP settings. To do this find the device (like you described) and right click it. Click Properties. Under that scroll until you see TCP/IP. Click it, then click properties. You will see a bunch of boxes for IP, DNS, etc. Make sure they are all set to Obtain Automatically. If you have a router you can give it an IP like 192.168.1.2 (depending on your router settings, if you have one). If you are running a line straight from your modem to your computer use Obtain Automatically settings for everything.

That should work. If you have any q's feel free to PM me.

TRENDING THREADS