  • Epson
  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 19, 2005 1:57:38 AM

I bought an Epson CX 4160 All-in-one because my Epson CX 5200 could not be
unclogged.

I use my printer only rarely, maybe once a once. With my old Epson I would
leave the printer permanently "on". Maybe that's why it became irreparable.

Is it better to leave the printer permanently ON, or should I turn it off
during the long intervals between print jobs? I only use Epson ink. Or,
should I use it once a week with a nozzle check?

Thanks for any input
--
Walter
www.rationality.net

More about : turn printer

June 19, 2005 1:57:39 AM

Walter R. wrote:

>I bought an Epson CX 4160 All-in-one because my Epson CX 5200 could not be
>unclogged.
>
>I use my printer only rarely, maybe once a once. With my old Epson I would
>leave the printer permanently "on". Maybe that's why it became irreparable.
>
>Is it better to leave the printer permanently ON, or should I turn it off
>during the long intervals between print jobs? I only use Epson ink. Or,
>should I use it once a week with a nozzle check?

This gets asked from time to time, and the simple answer is, it doesn't
matter.

The printer will "park" the printhead in a rubber sealed station after a
minute or so regardless of whether the printer is turned off or not. So
it doesn't really matter if you leave it on or turn it off.

Personally, I have my printer set to automatically turn off after 30mins
of inactivity. Some models may not have this feature, but it's easy
enough to tap the power button manually.
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 2:45:31 AM

Walter R. wrote:

>I bought an Epson CX 4160 All-in-one because my Epson CX 5200 could not be
>unclogged.
>
>I use my printer only rarely, maybe once a once. With my old Epson I would
>leave the printer permanently "on". Maybe that's why it became irreparable.
>
>Is it better to leave the printer permanently ON,

Yes, however, Epson claims that the cleaning cycle uses less ink if you
turn if off if you do not use it for a couple of hours. I leave all my
printers on all the time.

>or should I turn it off
>during the long intervals between print jobs?

Like I said, Epson recommend that. My friend who has an R300 never
shuts his off and never had any trouble except for the CD tray. Of
course he uses OEM inks all of the time.

>I only use Epson ink.

Great

>Or,
>should I use it once a week with a nozzle check?

Either that or print a color document once a week. Maybe a web page.

>Thanks for any input

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 4:11:48 PM

Turn it off. The Epson will not fully cap the heads until you turn the
printer off. The longer you leave the printer on waiting to print the
longer the cleaning cycle will be. If you turn it off, then turn it on when
you need it the cleaning cycle will be shorter also saving you ink.

!