GA-K8N Pro SLI won't post PCI video

sinucus

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2006
I have a strange problem that is kicking my butt. I've been running this computer for 4 months now with no problem using a PCI-E 16x card. I needed to install a regular PCI video card and it won't post. I've tried plugging in the PCI card with the PCIE card plugged in and unplugged, no difference. I changed the Video Init to PCI in the BIOS and no go. If I remove both cards I get the standard beep code error, but with the PCI card plugged into either of the PCI slots I get no beep code and no video. I've looked over the manual and flashed to F8 and nothing seems to fix it. I've also booted with no card and then plugged in the PCI card and booted, still no post. What am I over-looking? Thanks

I have tried the card in another computer and it works just fine.

*edited for typo's

sinucus

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2006
I needed a dual head card and my PCI-E card isn't dual head, so I picked up a cheap PCI card. This is a work computer so I didn't need a fancy card, and obviously it doesn't have AGP and there were no cheap PCI-E cards to be found. Tomorrow, I'm going to bring in an older PCI card from home and see if I can get that one to work. BTW, the card I'm trying to put in is an ATI Radeon 9250 PCI.

sinucus

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2006
My PCI-E card is an ASUS. I didn't think about that. If I get my other PCI card to work tomorrow I'll assume you were right and return the PCI card.

sinucus

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2006
I'll keep that in mind seeing as I got my PCI card from the egg it'll be easier to RMA. I don't see how it would be trying to use 2 different drivers because when I try and boot the system I'm only using 1 card in the mobo. I even booted it w/o a card in and then booted with only the PCI in. At this point an RMA sounds resonable. I'll still wait until I can test another card before I go through an RAM process.

To answer your question, I can't pull out the PCI-E card and look at it because it's powering this computer but I believe it's using an ATi chipset.

rahul_cracker

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
hey your motherboard GA-K8N PRO is a new one and check the manufacturers site for latest driver support ,this board has some ram problems but i haven't heard of pci problems

DDJarod

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
Hi, I have the same problem, I have a Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-9 and the same ATI Radeon 9250 PCI.

The drivers couldn't be the problem, because they will be loaded if the OS loads, and the way I see the situation, sinucus and me were unable to get past the boot process.

I tried to boot with the PCI card only too, which also didn't work for me.
If I boot with it (in addition to another card or alone) the screen is just black, there is a signal (otherwise the the monitor would show a 'no signal found' msg), but nothing happens, no OS (windows, linux and linux live CD) starts loading, the system is dead.

The PCI card isn't broken, in another system it is running fine. My friend has an ASUS board with nForce4 and SLI support, and runs a NV 6600 PCI-E. He was able to boot AND use the new ATI card in additon to his NV card under windows XP Pro as an additional monitor.

Oh, and btw, I want to build a 3 monitor system, I have a NV6800GT Dual DVI PCI-E graphic card as first graphic card, so no comments about buying another card please
And another note: the mainboard should support multiple graphics cards if one is PCI-E and one is PCI, BUT not ATI crossfire with 2 PCI-E cards.

[EDIT]
I found an old Else Victory 3D PCI card in my hardware cupboard, the whole system is running fine with it in addition to the NV GF6800GT PCI-E

centari

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Interesting, I have a GA-K8N Pro SLI which refuses to boot with a PCI-E graphics card!

I have tried a Gigabyte Radeon X800 and a Inno3d Nvidia 7600GS, but no boot, no beeps, nothing.

I have tried an old Nvidia MX200 PCI card and the system boots fine.

All bios versions up to F9 have been tried to no avail.

Gigabyte tech support confirmed that the system should boot with their
GV-RX80256D (Radeon X800) card but have asked that I try a different graphics card.

I'll await their response and will return the board if I get no results :(

centari

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
As a follow up...

Gigabyte Tech. support have emailed me. They suspect a faulty motherboard and have requested that I return it to my retailer.