newbie asking for help with outlook express

hello, i connected my computer up to the internet today and was told to
use outlook express for my email. every time i connect and go to
outlook express i am getting a bunch of spam in my inbox. can someone
please give me step by step instructions on how to stop or prevent this
from happening? i would most certainly appreciate any help given.
thank you
gail
4 answers Last reply
More about newbie outlook express

    "Gail B" <GailsShed@webtv.net>
    wrote in news:21710-416D6BED-76@storefull-3113.bay.webtv.net:
    > hello, i connected my computer up to the internet today and was told
    > to use outlook express for my email. every time i connect and go to
    > outlook express i am getting a bunch of spam in my inbox. can someone
    > please give me step by step instructions on how to stop or prevent
    > this from happening? i would most certainly appreciate any help given.
    > thank you
    > gail

    Who is your e-mail provider? Do they provide a webmail interface? Do
    they have an account settings page? If so, do they have an option to
    enable spam filtering? If they don't provide spam filtering then check
    into e-mail providers that do provide it. Spamcop.net has accounts that
    are supposed to be spam-free but there are plenty of e-mail providers
    that include spam filtering.

    Otherwise, install a client-side spam filtering product. I use SpamPal
    and several of its plug-ins (all are free) and they have their own forum
    for getting help, but there are lots of anti-spam products.

    Announcing your true e-mail address in newsgroups is a guaranteed method
    of ensuring to up the amount of spam you receive. Spambots roam the
    newsgroups looking for e-mail addresses. Munge it or use a bogus one
    (if you never want to take a discussion offline from the newsgroup to
    move it to e-mail). If webtv.com is your ISP then
    http://www.webtv.com/pc/experience/email.asp says they provide spam
    filtering. However, if it is the same level of filtering as afforded to
    Hotmail accounts then get used to some spam. Microsoft hasn't been very
    effective in their spam filtering. I've had both Hotmail and Yahoo
    accounts and Hotmail gets hits a lot more with spam than my Yahoo
    accounts.

    Unfortunately some advertisers program their computers to generate long
    lists of email addresses using all combinations of characters, knowing
    that a few of them will correspond to people's email addresses. the
    small percentage of people that make purchases from the ads is enough to
    encourage them.

    NEVER click the links to unsubscribe or "stop receiving these messages".
    That only confirms your address as having a live person using it. Once
    the spammers know they "have a live one" they share the address with
    each other and the problem multiplies.

    It's not a good idea to open the messages either. The advertisers can
    include a picture in the ad in a way that allows them to log the email
    address of each person that allows the picture to display in a mail
    client. This logging even occurs when the message is viewed in the
    Outlook Express preview pane. This issue is less serious on Windows XP
    computers that have service pack 2 installed. The default settings with
    service pack 2 installed woun't perform the action to generate the
    advertiser's log until a special toolbar is clicked "to view the graphic".

    Be VERY wary of any messages inviting you to use a bank account to help
    them wire money out of some foreign nation. Also be wary of messages
    asking for confirmation of internet banking, auction site or auction
    fund escrow user names or passwords. Some messages impersonate these
    busnesses and contain links to confinceing fake web sites. Don't access
    online banking, auction or escrow logins by clicking a link in an email,
    now matter how authentic it looks. Always access these sites by typing
    in your browser's address bar or with a favorite/bookmark you set after
    typing the address in the browser's address bar.

    Many Internet Service Providers (ISPs) offer spam filtering to reduce
    the flood of junk mail. Your ISP should provide you with instructions on
    setting up the filter. Unfortunately these filters occasionaly block a
    message you want to receive. I have mine sent to a junk mail folder so
    that I can reveiw them a couple of times a week. I can ussually
    recognize what messages are spam and which ones aren't.

    Outlook Express has some filtering capabilities as well. I have mine set
    up to shunt messages containing numerous words like "free" "mortgage"
    and "girls" to a suspicious message folder. Look for "Message Rules" on
    the "Tools" menu. Unfortunately some advertisers intentionaly misspell
    words in a effort to bypass such filtering. This method occasionaly
    obstructs a desireable message as well.

    Gail B wrote:
    > hello, i connected my computer up to the internet today and was told to
    > use outlook express for my email. every time i connect and go to
    > outlook express i am getting a bunch of spam in my inbox. can someone
    > please give me step by step instructions on how to stop or prevent this
    > from happening? i would most certainly appreciate any help given.
    > thank you
    > gail

    Since you are already on the spammers list, that list will be sold and
    resold. This will only excaberate the problem. Secondly never post your
    e-mail address to a discussion group. If you really want to place your e-mail
    address on these sites, try this: GailsREMOVETHISShed@webtv.net

    Spammers programs scan these sites for address frequently. I suggest that
    you get a new e-mail address. One that can't be easily generated by a
    computer. Something like Gails22558Shed78251@webtv.net

    "Vanguardx" wrote:

    > "Gail B" <GailsShed@webtv.net>
    > wrote in news:21710-416D6BED-76@storefull-3113.bay.webtv.net:
    > > hello, i connected my computer up to the internet today and was told
    > > to use outlook express for my email. every time i connect and go to
    > > outlook express i am getting a bunch of spam in my inbox. can someone
    > > please give me step by step instructions on how to stop or prevent
    > > this from happening? i would most certainly appreciate any help given.
    > > thank you
    > > gail
    >
    > Who is your e-mail provider? Do they provide a webmail interface? Do
    > they have an account settings page? If so, do they have an option to
    > enable spam filtering? If they don't provide spam filtering then check
    > into e-mail providers that do provide it. Spamcop.net has accounts that
    > are supposed to be spam-free but there are plenty of e-mail providers
    > that include spam filtering.
    >
    > Otherwise, install a client-side spam filtering product. I use SpamPal
    > and several of its plug-ins (all are free) and they have their own forum
    > for getting help, but there are lots of anti-spam products.
    >
    > Announcing your true e-mail address in newsgroups is a guaranteed method
    > of ensuring to up the amount of spam you receive. Spambots roam the
    > newsgroups looking for e-mail addresses. Munge it or use a bogus one
    > (if you never want to take a discussion offline from the newsgroup to
    > move it to e-mail). If webtv.com is your ISP then
    > http://www.webtv.com/pc/experience/email.asp says they provide spam
    > filtering. However, if it is the same level of filtering as afforded to
    > Hotmail accounts then get used to some spam. Microsoft hasn't been very
    > effective in their spam filtering. I've had both Hotmail and Yahoo
    > accounts and Hotmail gets hits a lot more with spam than my Yahoo
    > accounts.

    > ******** Post replies to newsgroup - Share with others ********
    > Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

    Chuck, good advice but she should use a fake, non-existent domain along with
    some character as I've done with mine as in #notme.com. First, the spammers
    aren't only harvesting the e-mail address they also are harvesting the rest
    of the information including the domain that leads them to the ISP. They
    then use a scattershot method for hitting as many possible combinations as
    they can generate @that domain and they will use her name to generate in
    various combinations to see if they hit a valid ID which brings them to an
    active e-mail address.

    Second, by using an invalid domain, any spam generator will end up sending
    the e-mail nowhere into something of a cyber black hole as opposed to
    clogging up some ISP's pipes and some Internet backbone as well.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

Outlook Express Microsoft Windows XP