Asus P5B will not ..POST

Cos

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2005
Can anyone help me, I have just got my P5B mobo & Core2 cpu. with everything in place i went to boot it up to go into the bios and nothing happened, it came on for a second then went off then came back, the cpu fan was running & that was it..no POST. I was told by my seller that i needed to get a single core cpu to boot it up and update the bios, is this true or is he pulling my leg. Please can any one help..Cos

sluzbenik

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
P5b is supposed to be Conroe ready...

Give more specs on your system.

Check for a short first of all (standoffs) and the connections obviously. Reseat everything.

Then try one stick of RAM, video card, and NO hard drive to see if it will post.

Getting any beeps?

Time2Ride

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I just built a Conroe rig with the P5B Deluxe mobo with no problems....i know you're using a different board but I had read the same thing about the deluxe board too, that i had to use another intel chip to boot but i didn't have to, the conroe booted up 1st time and then i flashed the bios to the latest revision. i would check asus page or call them to make sure...Time2Ride

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's normal for a system to power up for a second when you first turn the power on. Then it sits there, waiting for you to hit the power button. If you don't have the front panel power button connected, I think you should be able to figure it out.

AODBOB

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Currently I am having the same problem with that motherboard. I have the P5B deluxe, a cheap 775 CPU (placeholder for the conroe) and OCZ Ram. When I contacted Asus they said it was most likely the ram and when I went on their forums numerous other users were having the same problem with the OCZ DDR2 ram. I RMA'd that ram and am expecting a 2GB kit of Corsair ram to arrive soon.

I know its not the PSU or GPU because I tried 3 different PSUs that I know work and 2 different PCIe Vid cards that I know work and one PCI vid card. Everything else is disconnected, only the CPU, PSU, ram and video card.

Cos

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2005
I have to 2 512 corsair xms2..512 mb pci express, 2.4 core2....450psu..80+320 wd sata harddrive..i have tried everything but no joy. Will a single core psu do the trick...thanks

AODBOB

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
thats what happens, PSU, CPU and case fans run but no POST. I meant my problem was like what happened when he rebooted, its not exactly the same as Cos cause I never got to the BIOS.

My RAM is back ordered so now I have to either wait or buy from another site.. *sigh*

Cos

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2005
Thank you all for your advice.would you belive it! It was the (standoffs) i put insulation tape on the (standoffs) put the motherboard back in and Hey presto it worked...installing XP as i type. Thank you all..Cos

Storm1234

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
I'm gonna probably be buying the ASUS P5B mobo shortly, maybe tonight with a Pentium D 805.

Will I have to do any Bios flashing cause I dont really want to never have done it before?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The good news is, you don't have to make a bootable floppy to flash the board from a floppy, because the BIOS user interface has a utility for that. And D805's are old enough that this "new" board should support them in its earliest BIOS revision.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If it's bootable and you can enter BIOS, choose the Tools menu where you'll find "Asus EZ Flash 2". Highlight that and hit enter.

You'll need a floppy with the new BIOS on it, nothing else and nothing more, to use EZ Flash 2 from BIOS.

sluzbenik

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Yo, ditch the floppy, this BIOS supports USB keys. On the other hand, it doesn't support hard drives. my p4pe let me update bios from the C:.

That was great. Especially since I only hooked up the floppy to F6 install RAID drivers during Windows installation. with my other drives installed I can't get the darned power cable to reach. (Enermax Liberty modular power supply, they have a weird design where you get 5 cables, but they all only have one or two of each kind of connector on them.)

You can even boot off USB..I gotta find some liitle Linux installation to try that.

shamoo

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2005
Yo, ditch the floppy, this BIOS supports USB keys. On the other hand, it doesn't support hard drives. my p4pe let me update bios from the C:.

That was great. Especially since I only hooked up the floppy to F6 install RAID drivers during Windows installation. with my other drives installed I can't get the darned power cable to reach. (Enermax Liberty modular power supply, they have a weird design where you get 5 cables, but they all only have one or two of each kind of connector on them.)

You can even boot off USB..I gotta find some liitle Linux installation to try that.

floppys are the best invention ever.....
dependable i can drop a drive from a shelf and still have it read fine.