So - what's next? (end-game)

Okay, I think this character is just about ready to finish the game. (or at
least, confront Dagoth Ur, not sure how much is after that) But I can't
figure out what the next step is. I'm Hortator to all 3 houses, Neverarine
to all 4 clans, got Keening, Sunder, and Wraithguard, cured of Corprus and
immune to disease... The Urshilaku wise woman and several others tell me I
should go meet with Archcanon Saryoni. I did, but he had nothing new to
say. She also said I should go to Vivec and get Kagrenac's tools, but as I
said before, I already have them. I tried talking to Vivec again, and he
didn't have anything new for me either. I noticed some dialog in the CS
with Yagram Bagram in the Corprusarium which involves making the Wraithguard
non-lethal. But, well, I'm wearing it, and I'm not dead, so that doesn't
seem to be necessary. Plus, I can't actually get that dialog to happen in
game; he has nothing new to say either. I tried just going to Dagoth Ur,
but the door is quite closed, and there doesn't seem to be any way to open
it. Is this perhaps a bug caused by my doing things completely out of
order? I acquired Keening and Sunder long before I knew what they were, and
I became Archcanon of the temple a while ago, so I didn't need to go through
the healer to arrange a meeting as I was told to, since I'd already talked
to the guy and in fact replaced him. I've also done the Tribunal main
quest - not sure if it matters that Almalexia and Sotha Sil are already
dead. I can't think of anyone else I should be talking to at this point,
but there's obviously something else I have to do. The Urshilaku woman
mentionned that I'd need Kagrenac's tools for the 6th and 7th trials, but
she wouldn't further ellucidate me as to what those trials entailled. Any
help?

Darrel Hoffman wrote:
> The Urshilaku wise woman and several others tell me I
> should go meet with Archcanon Saryoni. I did, but he had nothing new to
> say.

This is a bug. This dialog topic doesn't vanish after you talked to the
Archcanon. So just ignore it.

Vivec gives you the pointer to the next step: Scout Red Mountain, kill
those 8 Ash Vampires (though this is optional, but each killed weakens
Dagoth Ur a bit), and then finally kill Mr. Ur himself. In theory, right
after you got Keening, Sunder and Wraithguard, you can go to Dagoth Ur
and finish him off. Shouldn't be a problem with a high-level character.
I played this with a ~ level 25 character (or so, don't remember
exactly), and weakening Dagoth Ur by killing the 8 Ash Vampires first
was quite helpful.

To enter Dagoth Urs fortress, remember the very first quest with the
Dwemer Puzzle box.... Entering that Dwemer ruin required you to do
something first. I despaired on that as well. :*)

> with Yagram Bagram in the Corprusarium which involves making the Wraithguard
> non-lethal.

This is for the alternative way to "play" *cough* the main quest. You
could never visit Caius and ignore playing through all his quests, but
just kill Vivec and grab Wraithguard from his corpse. The problem now
is, Vivec cannot tell you how to use it, you just killed him. So a visit
to Yagram can help you to activate Wraithguard, after which you can
instantly proceed to Dagoth Ur. Quite silly in my opinion. I never
played this myself, just read it in a walkthrough.

> This is for the alternative way to "play" *cough* the main quest. You
> could never visit Caius and ignore playing through all his quests, but
> just kill Vivec and grab Wraithguard from his corpse. The problem now
> is, Vivec cannot tell you how to use it, you just killed him. So a visit
> to Yagram can help you to activate Wraithguard, after which you can
> instantly proceed to Dagoth Ur. Quite silly in my opinion. I never
> played this myself, just read it in a walkthrough.

Ah, maybe this is for those people playing as a vampire, or other "evil"
character. Technically speaking, though, couldn't you just level up a bit,
get Sunder and Keening, go kill Vivec and take Wraithguard, visit Yagram to
activate it, and then go and kill Dagoth Ur without doing a single other
quest in the game? I mean, all that other stuff about becoming Hortator and
Nerevarine and getting cured of Corprus, etc. - is any of that even
necessary to completing the main quest?

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 15:29:45 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
wrote:

>Okay, I think this character is just about ready to finish the game. (or at
>least, confront Dagoth Ur, not sure how much is after that) But I can't
>figure out what the next step is. I'm Hortator to all 3 houses, Neverarine
>to all 4 clans, got Keening, Sunder, and Wraithguard, cured of Corprus and
>immune to disease...

The next step is to go and confront Dagoth Ur.

> The Urshilaku wise woman and several others tell me I
>should go meet with Archcanon Saryoni.

This is a bug that's turned up in my games too - sometimes they tell you
that for no reason at all.

> I tried just going to Dagoth Ur,
>but the door is quite closed, and there doesn't seem to be any way to open
>it.

Remember back to the front door of Arkngthand... That's right, this door
is also controlled by a lever, and this lever is hidden off to the side
for reasons known best to the programmers. Lots of people have thought
there was something wrong with their game, when it was just a matter of
finding the lever to activate.

> Is this perhaps a bug caused by my doing things completely out of
>order? I acquired Keening and Sunder long before I knew what they were, and
>I became Archcanon of the temple a while ago, so I didn't need to go through
>the healer to arrange a meeting as I was told to, since I'd already talked
>to the guy and in fact replaced him. I've also done the Tribunal main
>quest - not sure if it matters that Almalexia and Sotha Sil are already
>dead. I can't think of anyone else I should be talking to at this point,
>but there's obviously something else I have to do.

None of this should matter. Just open the door, go in and confront him.

> Remember back to the front door of Arkngthand... That's right, this door
> is also controlled by a lever, and this lever is hidden off to the side
> for reasons known best to the programmers. Lots of people have thought
> there was something wrong with their game, when it was just a matter of
> finding the lever to activate.

Yeah, 'twas that indeed. Never would have occurred to me to look for that.
It's so small, and kind of far away from the door, that you wouldn't even
guess it was there, especially since everybody keeps telling you you're
supposed to be doing something else when really you're not. So technically,
you could enter this area with a newbie level 1 character, provided you
could get there? I assumed it was just blocked until they were ready to let
you in...

Darrel Hoffman wrote:

> Ah, maybe this is for those people playing as a vampire, or other "evil"
> character. Technically speaking, though, couldn't you just level up a bit,
> get Sunder and Keening, go kill Vivec and take Wraithguard, visit Yagram to
> activate it, and then go and kill Dagoth Ur without doing a single other
> quest in the game? I mean, all that other stuff about becoming Hortator and
> Nerevarine and getting cured of Corprus, etc. - is any of that even
> necessary to completing the main quest?

Technically no, you can defeat Dagoth Ur exactly how you've outlined.
The rest of it is all window dressing, or story, depending on how you
look at it.

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 19:14:55 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
wrote:

>> Remember back to the front door of Arkngthand... That's right, this door
>> is also controlled by a lever, and this lever is hidden off to the side
>> for reasons known best to the programmers. Lots of people have thought
>> there was something wrong with their game, when it was just a matter of
>> finding the lever to activate.
>
>Yeah, 'twas that indeed. Never would have occurred to me to look for that.
>It's so small, and kind of far away from the door, that you wouldn't even
>guess it was there, especially since everybody keeps telling you you're
>supposed to be doing something else when really you're not. So technically,
>you could enter this area with a newbie level 1 character, provided you
>could get there? I assumed it was just blocked until they were ready to let
>you in...

Nope, nothing stopping you. If you go in _without_ the necessary tools,
you get an interesting warning from Dagoth Ur when you get too close,
though. I found this out while doing one of the Temple artifact quests
that requires you to get an item at the bottom of this building.