Network router problem

Last response: in Networking
Share
May 19, 2004 4:51:55 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.comm,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

I've set up 3 routers to provide security between two small networks, yet be
able to share resources.

The setup consists of a Speedstream DSL modem, a Netgear FVS318 immediately
downstream; and two RP614v2 routers plugged into the '318. All computers (6
total) are plugged into the 614's.

I configured the routers so that they each have unique IP addresses, and
serve (DHCP) unique ranges of IP addresses.

I then added an HP LJ 2300 (plugged into the '318) and configured direct
routes (I think that's what Netgear calls making the HP's IP address
"visible" to the computers on the networks) in each of the '614's.

All computers could share the DSL service, and print to the HP printer
without problem. Everything seemed fine.

All worked for about a week. Then one of the 614 router's stopped
functioning. I could not ping from or to any computer connected to that
router. A router reset (reset button on the back) fixed it, temporarily. A
week later the problem repeated. I replaced the router with a new one,
figuring that it had an intermittent problem.

All was fine for another week. Today, the same problem occurred, with the
same router.

Is it possible that the FVS318 is causing these problems in the 614? What
else could cause these symptoms?

Ideas?

Thanks,
--
DaveC
me@privacy.net

More about : network router problem

Anonymous
a b α HP
May 19, 2004 7:59:37 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.comm,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

In article <0001HW.BCD108EB003FD6BBF03055B0@news.individual.net>,
DaveC <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> I've set up 3 routers to provide security between two small networks, yet be
> able to share resources.
>
> The setup consists of a Speedstream DSL modem, a Netgear FVS318 immediately
> downstream; and two RP614v2 routers plugged into the '318. All computers (6
> total) are plugged into the 614's.
>
> I configured the routers so that they each have unique IP addresses, and
> serve (DHCP) unique ranges of IP addresses.
>
> I then added an HP LJ 2300 (plugged into the '318) and configured direct
> routes (I think that's what Netgear calls making the HP's IP address
> "visible" to the computers on the networks) in each of the '614's.
>
> All computers could share the DSL service, and print to the HP printer
> without problem. Everything seemed fine.
>
> All worked for about a week. Then one of the 614 router's stopped
> functioning. I could not ping from or to any computer connected to that
> router. A router reset (reset button on the back) fixed it, temporarily. A
> week later the problem repeated. I replaced the router with a new one,
> figuring that it had an intermittent problem.
>
> All was fine for another week. Today, the same problem occurred, with the
> same router.
>
> Is it possible that the FVS318 is causing these problems in the 614? What
> else could cause these symptoms?
>
> Ideas?

Why did you make the network so complicated? You only need one router
serving DHCP addresses and performing NAT functions and then simple hubs
or (preferably) switches to supply sufficient ports for the computers
and printer.

Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
May 19, 2004 8:39:28 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.comm,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

On Wed, 19 May 2004 12:59:37 -0700, Tom Stiller wrote
(in article <tomstiller-D26894.15593619052004@comcast.dca.giganews.com>):

> Why did you make the network so complicated? You only need one router
> serving DHCP addresses and performing NAT functions and then simple hubs
> or (preferably) switches to supply sufficient ports for the computers
> and printer.

Medical database applications (two of them, one per segment) require that
only one server -- and its clients -- be on each segment (ie, pinging between
segments must not be possible). This necessitates a router for each of the
network segments to provide isolation for each.

Someone suggested a computer running routing & firewall software with several
NICs, but I like small boxes with no moving parts.

Other suggestions reach this goal are welcome.
--
DaveC
me@privacy.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group
a b α HP
May 20, 2004 5:39:08 AM

me@privacy.net wrote:

> All worked for about a week. Then one of the 614 router's stopped
> functioning. I could not ping from or to any computer connected to that
> router. A router reset (reset button on the back) fixed it, temporarily. A
> week later the problem repeated. I replaced the router with a new one,
> figuring that it had an intermittent problem.
>
> All was fine for another week. Today, the same problem occurred, with the
> same router.

That sounds similar to a DHCP lease expiration issue. The misbehaving
router gets an address from the "main" one, good for a while. Maybe
that's a week, and when the address isn't good anymore, it doesn't manage
to get a new one. It's something to consider, anyway.
May 20, 2004 5:39:09 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.comm,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

On Wed, 19 May 2004 18:39:08 -0700, Alan Anderson wrote
(in article <aranders-1905042039240001@192.168.1.100>):

> That sounds similar to a DHCP lease expiration issue. The misbehaving
> router gets an address from the "main" one, good for a while. Maybe
> that's a week, and when the address isn't good anymore, it doesn't manage
> to get a new one. It's something to consider, anyway.

Hmm... I will consider that.

The firmware of the main router (FVS318) is due for updating. I've been
avoiding it because no one could find the PPPoE password. I guess I'll have
to call SBC mee self.

Thanks for the idea...
--
!