raj

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

My OS is XP Professional. I rebooted my PC & when I got to the login screen,
I press Ctrl-Alt-Del. I go to the password screen & enter my password. XP
then displays 'Loading your personal settings'. after a few seconds, it
displays 'closing network connections' & 'saving your settings' & goes back
to the login screen asking me to press ctrl-alt-del to login. This loop is
happening whether I try to log to the domain or try to login as stand alone.
If I enter wrong password XP says so & ask me to enter correct password. I am
able to access my PC through another computer though & check the hard disk
for any virus (no virus found). Any help will be appreciated.

See section "Unable to logon to Windows after removing BlazeFind using a
spyware removal utility? " here:
http://www.winxptutor.com/wsaremove.htm

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"Raj" <Raj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My OS is XP Professional. I rebooted my PC & when I got to the login
> screen,
> I press Ctrl-Alt-Del. I go to the password screen & enter my password. XP
> then displays 'Loading your personal settings'. after a few seconds, it
> displays 'closing network connections' & 'saving your settings' & goes
> back
> to the login screen asking me to press ctrl-alt-del to login. This loop is
> happening whether I try to log to the domain or try to login as stand
> alone.
> If I enter wrong password XP says so & ask me to enter correct password. I
> am
> able to access my PC through another computer though & check the hard disk
> for any virus (no virus found). Any help will be appreciated.

Raj <Raj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>My OS is XP Professional. I rebooted my PC & when I got to the login screen,
>I press Ctrl-Alt-Del. I go to the password screen & enter my password. XP
>then displays 'Loading your personal settings'. after a few seconds, it
>displays 'closing network connections' & 'saving your settings' & goes back
>to the login screen asking me to press ctrl-alt-del to login. This loop is
>happening whether I try to log to the domain or try to login as stand alone.
>If I enter wrong password XP says so & ask me to enter correct password. I am
>able to access my PC through another computer though & check the hard disk
>for any virus (no virus found). Any help will be appreciated.

Can you boot the machine in Safe Mode and then log in as the
Administrator?

If so then run System Restore while in Safe Mode and choose the most
recent restore point that is prior to the onset of the login problem.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

raj

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

I tried the safe mode option as administrator....but the same thing is
happening. In normal mode...I am able to access my shared files over the
network. But the PC refuse to login completly. I view the events using other
PC event viewer for some drive error, but still nothing.

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> Raj <Raj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >My OS is XP Professional. I rebooted my PC & when I got to the login screen,
> >I press Ctrl-Alt-Del. I go to the password screen & enter my password. XP
> >then displays 'Loading your personal settings'. after a few seconds, it
> >displays 'closing network connections' & 'saving your settings' & goes back
> >to the login screen asking me to press ctrl-alt-del to login. This loop is
> >happening whether I try to log to the domain or try to login as stand alone.
> >If I enter wrong password XP says so & ask me to enter correct password. I am
> >able to access my PC through another computer though & check the hard disk
> >for any virus (no virus found). Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Can you boot the machine in Safe Mode and then log in as the
> Administrator?
>
> If so then run System Restore while in Safe Mode and choose the most
> recent restore point that is prior to the onset of the login problem.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

Hi Raj,

Run a spyware cleaner lately? The userinit value may have been corrupted by
the removal of blazefind. It adds wsaupdater.exe to the logon value in the
system registry, sometimes appending it, sometimes replacing it. Running
Adaware or other cleaners detects and removes wsaupdater.exe, but doesn't
correct the registry damage. If this is the case, then you may need to load
the registry hive from another installation and change it. This is the key:

Userinit string value should be:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

On the damaged installations it's one of these:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wsaupdater.exe,
C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\wsaupdater.exe,

Another "quickie" method of resolution is to load the Recovery Console (see
below), copy userinit.exe as wsaupdater.exe from the command prompt, then
restart normally. Once in, go and change the registry value back to what
it's supposed to be and delete the copied file. To do this, use these
commands:

C:\Windows>
C:\Windows>copy C:\Windows\system32\userinit.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wsaupdater.exe

Then you can exit once completed.

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP [Q307654]
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654

This can also be done by using the 6 disk boot floppy set mentioned in the
above article, as it loads enough of the Recovery Console so that you can
copy the file. This is particularly useful if you have an OEM installation
that includes only a Restore CD, or no disk at all.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Raj" <Raj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My OS is XP Professional. I rebooted my PC & when I got to the login
> screen,
> I press Ctrl-Alt-Del. I go to the password screen & enter my password. XP
> then displays 'Loading your personal settings'. after a few seconds, it
> displays 'closing network connections' & 'saving your settings' & goes
> back
> to the login screen asking me to press ctrl-alt-del to login. This loop is
> happening whether I try to log to the domain or try to login as stand
> alone.
> If I enter wrong password XP says so & ask me to enter correct password. I
> am
> able to access my PC through another computer though & check the hard disk
> for any virus (no virus found). Any help will be appreciated.

raj

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

Thanks Rick & Michael. This was the problem, as the registry value for
WinLogon was set to wsaupdater.exe. Now I am able to logon properly. Thanks
for the help again.

Raj

You're welcome.

--

> [...]
>> > screen,
>> > I press Ctrl-Alt-Del. I go to the password screen & enter my password.
>> > XP
>> > then displays 'Loading your personal settings'. after a few seconds, it
>> > displays 'closing network connections' & 'saving your settings' & goes
>> > back
>> > to the login screen asking me to press ctrl-alt-del to login. This loop
>> > is
>> > happening whether I try to log to the domain or try to login as stand
>> > alone.
>> > If I enter wrong password XP says so & ask me to enter correct
>> > password. I
>> > am
>> > able to access my PC through another computer though & check the hard
>> > disk
>> > for any virus (no virus found). Any help will be appreciated.

cortec

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
I am experiencing this exact scenario. I went through the recovery console and ran the command COPY USERINIT.EXE WSAUPDATER.EXE . The laptop then attempted to boot into Windows and I still have the same issue. I went through this exercise again and it now replaced the WSAUPDATER.EXE file which says it did copy it the first time. Same result. Unable to login in safe mode even with admin password. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
cortec

yoginisj

Hi,

I am experiencing the same problem. My machine is not in the network with another machine so I can not accsess regedit file. I tried to boot it safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, last known good configuration,etc...but no success.. PLEASE HELP..!!!

Thanks!
Yogini

nerdant

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
I know this topic has been dead for some time, but I found a solution and I wanted to post my results for the next googler who finds this thread:

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/07/02/how-to-edit-windows-registry-key-values-without-booting-in-windows/

The article talks about a tool called "PC Regedit" (http://www.pcdisktools.com/download/PCRegedit.iso). This tool is a bootable Linux distribution that allows you to edit registry keys without being in Windows.

My userinit sub-key was missing. I created it and boom! I'm logged it.

Hope it helps!!!!

-nerdant