is it worth buying an x fi card to save on cpu strain

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
when running game is it worth buying a good sound care like creative x fi etreme music (i can afford fatality|) to take some of the load of my cpu. and does anyone know how good they some?

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
when running game is it worth buying a good sound care like creative x fi etreme music (i can afford fatality|) to take some of the load of my cpu. and does anyone know how good they some?

not for the soul reason of gaining fps because you'll gain like 2. But for sound definitly. I'm getting the new auzentech x-plosion with z-5500 speakers. These are good for digital speakers, but don't gave a you as much of a cpu bonus as x-fi. Depends on your speakers and how important 2 fps are to you :wink:

ps i wouldn't get fatality, seems like a wast to me, but since your spending 500-700 on graphics, anoither 100 shouldn't matter :p 8)

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
not for the soul reason of gaining fps because you'll gain like 2.
Not even 2. Maybe 0.2 :lol:

But for sound quality, it's a good upgrade like you said.

LOL... well at least if you add it to crap, with the game going 4fps on low settings, 2, or even 0.2 is a huge improvment. If thats the situation your in, replace your cpu with an x-fi, and watch your fps shoot throught the roof. :wink: :p :roll:

DaveUK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
I think you'll find the FPS advantage of an X-Fi is more than 0.2

But yeah, to buy one solely for FPS gain is pointless... but as an all-rounder with good sound quality, versatility and gaming surround support its a good card.

hannibal

Distinguished
Yep. the speed advantage is guite minimal, but sound guality is very important to me. I personally have X-Fi Elite Pro with external sound box for better sound guality...
In anyway i have computer hooked with stereo system with Gelelec studio speakers so the audio source really matter.
If you use standard blastic PC-spekers you don't know the difference...

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Yep. the speed advantage is guite minimal, but sound guality is very important to me. I personally have X-Fi Elite Pro with external sound box for better sound guality...
In anyway i have computer hooked with stereo system with Gelelec studio speakers so the audio source really matter.
If you use standard blastic PC-spekers you don't know the difference...

In that situation thats a good choice but even for the z-5500 speakers i'm getting thers no point spending more than $200 on a sound card. Especially paying a premium for a front panel or something which i won't need.

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
My gaming experience is way better both in fluidity and sound quality since the changover from onboard sound to the X-Fi (7.1 speakers also make it even better!)