bios beep codes

jp550

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Hello, recently when ive loaded a game or during some time playing a game, i get continous long beeps with a short pause in between them. however, after i exit the game, the beeps stop. My mobo is the badaxe and i have corsair ddr2-800 ram. I think the beeps indicate a ram error of some sort...but it has just randomly started. any suggestions or ideas of what this is?

thanks

Mondoman

Splendid
Some BIOSes also have settings for sounding warning beeps when (for example) a certain component temp rises above a setpoint, or a fan speed drops below a setpoint.

jp550

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
the manual only lists two beep codes and it my beep isnt listed. Also, is it normal for the beeps to occur while the computer is up and running fine? i thought they only occur if the computer cant boot.

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Is your system stable when these beeps are audible? I would say it is a heat issue, check your bio's and see what the settings are, then check your mother board manual to see what the recommended temps are. If they are few and far between, get another fan.

jp550

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Yes, its stable when the beeps occur, and when i exit the program, the beeps stop. I have replaced the stock fan a while ago with a zalman and the temps are around 45 which i think is normal.

Mondoman

Splendid
... I have replaced the stock fan a while ago with a zalman and the temps are around 45 which i think is normal.
WHICH temps and which model Zalman (also, which model motherboard, case, and power supply)? Many aftermarket coolers do a great job on the CPU, but do not provide airflow to other nearby MB components like PWMs. What are your CPU, PWM, and SYS temps?

jp550

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
i have the zalman 9500, system 1 and system 2 zone temps are both 35c. the processor temp is around 45.

the case is thermaltake armor. Mobo is d975xbx. and the powersupply is antec tpi II. 550 wat.

the intel desktop utilities reports everything is at normal level

Sounds more like a video card heat issue than a mobo BIOS issue, especially if you getting the beeps while playing a game and especially if the beeps stop when you're done playing...check your video card temp and see what the temperature warning setting is at...if not the video card, then the only other thing I can think of that would give a warning beep is high ambient temperatures inside the case, and if so, then the issue would be poor case airflow...

jp550

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
what software can i use to monitor the video card? How can I stress the video card or something to find out if that is the problem?

jp550

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Is it possible that there is no error at all? I don't notice anything wrong except the loud beeps. Are there any suggestions on how i can fix thsi problem??

thanks

jp550

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
ok so i think i found out what the problem is. The video card is overheating. The temps for the card are around 43 idle, and go up to around 54 when playing a game. This is when the beeps start. After the temp goes back down, it stops.

Whats weird is that this has just randomly started happening. The video card was fine untill a few days ago. I havent done anything different to the case either, so the airflow hasnt changed. could it be a bad chip? what can i do to cool it down? Thanks

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Do you have any buildup of dust/smoke on your video card?

Cleaning can help alot. If it is already clean then, have you been having hotter than normal weather like the rest of the folks around the US?

jp550

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
i built the computer about a month ago, so dust isnt the issue. however it has been pretty hot, around 80 degrees in the room where the computer is today.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
It is possible that your box already had poor cooling qualities (not saying this is so) but it is possible. Given the raise in ambient temps there is a possibility that you are having issues because of that.

My PSU fan (usually very very quiet) has been a jet engine over the past few weeks. This is in a PC built for quiet.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Could be a number of things. Again not saying this is so.... I do not know fully your setup.

Some boxes cool better than others. Some boxes allow for cable management better than others.

Some boxes segment heat (as much as possible) in the case to keep CPU heat from GPU heat (Side exhuast/inlet maybe even with a tunnel for the CPU).

P180 from Antec is a good example with the PSU in a lower chamber having its own exhuast. The MB and GPU are in a separate chamber all together. Advantage Antec P180.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Could be as simple as type of MB used (heat pipes for the north bridge) along with type of Video card cooling (rear exiting/inlet). Type of CPU cooler (could keep the CPU cool but whisk heat "to" the area of the video card.

All possible concerns.

May be damaged heat sink on the GPU that is working its way out of a connection (not likely).

PaCanc

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
Hey, man.

Since you are getting those beeps only when you are inside games, I was thinking about something that is happening to me.

Here it is: when I play a game like Need For Speed, I may sometimes press too many keyboard keys at a time (or maybe a certain combination of them). This is when I get beeps from my pc speaker, until I release some of the keys.

So your problem might not be a temperature issue.