Sign in with
Your question

Trouble with my dual core Amd athlon 64 X2 3800+

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 9, 2006 6:54:42 PM

I just built myself a new computer but am running into some problems. During the loading processes (formating and adding windows), it kept freezing, every ten minutes or so. Then, after dozens of attempts, we finaly got windows on, but it continues to freeze everynow and then. Is it a heatsink problem? I am only using a stock heatsink, but im not overclocking it. Idle, it runs at around 40 degrees celsius. Is this freezing problem a overheating problem, or could it be something else? I listed my setup below for you genius's to check out, thanks a lot.

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor 2000MHz HT 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Dual Core Processor - Retail

Motherboard: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Memory: Patriot eXtreme Performance 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) System Memory - Retail

Graphics: Geforce XFX 7600GT 256MB SLi-ready

Power: Rosewill RD550-2DC-SL 550W Active PFC Power Supply SLI Ready ATX Form Factor 12V V2.2 / SSI standard EPS 12V, 90-264V
August 9, 2006 7:32:30 PM

I would really doubt it is a heatsink problem.

If you kept having crashes during the OS install, it's entirely possible that the install you eventually got is corrupted. However, that's not the original problem, so after you figure out what component is being troublesome, you should probably do a fresh install from scratch.

First place to start is the memory. Run memtest (you can search for it online, and make a bootable floppy) and check to make sure that the memory is ok. You may need to relax timings in BIOS.

Speaking of BIOS, make sure you mb BIOS is up-to-date. You may need to flash it to get the mb to play nicely with an x2. As it's an AM2 system, this is unlikely, but you never know.

Next thing I can think of is your windows version. Is your install disk already SP2? Original install disks for XP sometimes have problems with the newer motherboards and processors, as it doesn't have the correct dirvers available.
August 9, 2006 7:37:05 PM

try using one stick of ram if the problem is still there try the other stick,
also you may want to make sure your bios is up to date and check the default ram timings in the bios to make sure they match you ram specified settings
Related resources
August 9, 2006 8:04:09 PM

I just know that the M2n Series from Asus that are currently sold most often use 0103 bios revision.

I recently build around this board and had same kind of problems.
After loading bios 0203 and setting DDR2 timings manually all my problems disappeared.....well the computer problems did anyway.....

Take care though....it seems ezflash method and within windows method of flashing BIOS is not allowed before bios version 0203.(as stated by asus on their site) Also, there was one guy here on forums who said he used ez flash to upgrade bios from 0103 to 0203 and it hung half way, leaving him with a black screen comp that does not beep,boot, or toast your bread for that matter.

So if your bios is still 0103, flash it the old fashion way....bootdisk with awdflash program and bios file.

Also the M2N series have a strange thing going with the memory settings.
In my case, a pair of corsair ddr2 800 was set at ddr2 667 with very strange timing when i used auto configuration from the bios.

I had to manually set it to ddr2 800 and fill out the timings manually to get it to work properly.
August 9, 2006 9:31:56 PM

Thanks all for the advice and help, i'll report back about my findings before i close the forum.
!