edge cards for laptops

First, I know nothing about how this is done so please excuse if this post
just sounds bad. I do not have an edge enabled phone but have been hearing
about cards for laptops. How do these work? Do I put this card in my laptop
and conect my motorola v400 to it and get an edge connection? Is the card a
mobile device it self that I need to put a sim in to and then get a
connection? I am interested in doing this because I am looking for a cheep,
fast internet solution that is portable. Have mersey on me all and I look
forward to some good concise answers. Again, thanks.

--
John W. Hess
Senior Associate

De Witt & Associates
Suite 110
700 Godwin Avenue
Midland Park, NJ 07432

Phone: (973) 664-1963
Fax: (201) 447-1187
E-Mail: techman@optonline.net

which it
is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any
review,
reliance
upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient is
delete the
material from any computer.

Jer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004

John W. Hess wrote:

> First, I know nothing about how this is done so please excuse if this post
> just sounds bad. I do not have an edge enabled phone but have been hearing
> about cards for laptops. How do these work? Do I put this card in my laptop
> and conect my motorola v400 to it and get an edge connection? Is the card a
> mobile device it self that I need to put a sim in to and then get a
> connection? I am interested in doing this because I am looking for a cheep,
> fast internet solution that is portable. Have mersey on me all and I look
> forward to some good concise answers. Again, thanks.

A friend of mine is using the Sony/Ericsson GC-82 card with excellent
results (according to what I saw at brunch the other day). I think
currently he's using GPRS in some places, but it switches to EDGE when
available.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
I'm Jer and I approved this message.

"John W. Hess" <fustibule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> First, I know nothing about how this is done so please excuse if this post
> just sounds bad. I do not have an edge enabled phone but have been
hearing
> about cards for laptops. How do these work? Do I put this card in my
laptop
> and conect my motorola v400 to it and get an edge connection?

No. The card is a mobile device, complete with antenae, that plugs into a
port and stays connected to the cellular data network as long as it recieves
a signal. It's always on sorta like dsl.

>Is the card a
> mobile device it self that I need to put a sim in to and then get a
> connection?

See above.

I am interested in doing this because I am looking for a cheep,
> fast internet solution that is portable. Have mersey on me all and I look
> forward to some good concise answers. Again, thanks.

Well it's not cheap. A good data plan for an EDGE data card is around
$79.99.

Data speeds on an EDGE network run about 110 to 150 kbps with an occasional
burst to around 200 kbps.

--------------
SS

In <kzVhd.13147$6z2.7239994@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net> on Wed, 03 Nov 2004
00:24:48 GMT, "John W. Hess" <fustibule@hotmail.com> wrote:

>First, I know nothing about how this is done so please excuse if this post
>just sounds bad.

No problem. Welcome!

>I do not have an edge enabled phone but have been hearing
>about cards for laptops. How do these work? Do I put this card in my laptop
>and conect my motorola v400 to it and get an edge connection? Is the card a
>mobile device it self that I need to put a sim in to and then get a
>connection?

The latter; i.e., the PC Card is a complete mobile device that needs an
activated SIM card to work. You can use the same SIM in both the V400 and PC
Card.

>I am interested in doing this because I am looking for a cheep,
>fast internet solution that is portable. Have mersey on me all and I look
>forward to some good concise answers. Again, thanks.

That's what I needed too, so I picked up a used Sony Ericsson GC82 on eBay
cheap, downloaded the latest firmware and the Wireless Manager from the Sony
Ericsson support website, and now switch my Cingular SIM from my Sony Ericsson
Z600 handset to my GC82 when I want a faster Internet connection on my
notebook computer (IBM ThinkPad 600). (When GPRS is enough, I use my Z600
"tethered" to my computer with Bluetooth.)

The keep data costs down I added MEdia Works to my Cingular rate plan since
that gives me "unlimited" data for only $20/month.

Instead of a PC Card, consider upgrading your V400 to the new EDGE-enabled
Motorola V551, which should be available from Cingular later this month, and
"tethering" it to your computer with Bluetooth.

In <2uqqemF2e66h4U1@uni-berlin.de> on Tue, 2 Nov 2004 19:26:06 -0600, "Shaolin
Superfly" <shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote:

>"John W. Hess" <fustibule@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>I am interested in doing this because I am looking for a cheep,
>> fast internet solution that is portable. Have mersey on me all and I look
>> forward to some good concise answers. Again, thanks.
>
>Well it's not cheap. A good data plan for an EDGE data card is around
>$79.99.

Cingular MEdia Works gives you "unlimited" data for $20/month.

>Data speeds on an EDGE network run about 110 to 150 kbps with an occasional
>burst to around 200 kbps.

More like 90-120 Kbps.

Thank you all for some excellent information. this is exactly what I needed
to knos. Have a great day.