installation problem

G

a couple weeks ago i tried installing redhat version 6.1 on my system, but it wouldn't work. i created an unformated partition on my hard disk and went through the setup procedure. when i got to the drive mounting part i couldn't create a folder/directory (whatever they are called) for the kernel ie. /root. no matter what size i created it said it was too big.

i downloaded the newest version 7 or 7.1 don't remember so i will see if this helps. i haven't had a chance to try it since i have been having some other technical difficulties, but wanted to see if anyone knew what i was doing wrong before so i don't encounter the same problem.

thanks,
De

i had a drink the other day... opinions were like kittens i was givin' away

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
I had the same problem with loading SuSe7.2 yesterday. No matter what size my unused space was it would not recognize the unused Hard drive space. Then I maximized WinMe into that space and SuSu7.2 would only shrink it down to like 500mb for Linux which would prevent me from loading a default setup. Eventually I just created my own linux ext2 space using Partition Magic 6 and figured out in Suse7.2 how to use it. I had to put down "/" for SuSe7.2 to use it. I finally got Bootmagic to boot between WinMe and SuSe7.2. Lost my W2K partition due to trying to get SuSe to load, so I went with WinMe. Then I had mouse problems, talking about frustrating, I used SaX2 to set my mouse to my exact model and load and behold the cursor would just go one direction, <b>UP</b>. I had to experiment and go through about 15 mouse drivers to find one that worked. Plus my text using my MX400 on my monitor looks gross, each horizontal line looks like it is shifted giving a rather jagged look to any text. Yes I selected my model monitor into SaX2 which helped but I still have the problem. Will continue this tour of Linux. I really don't want to continuely plow through hundreads of pages of information and sites to find how to set my mouse right, how to get rid of jagged text etc. This should not even be a problem. Oh one more note, when I try to adjust my screen size and position in SaX2 my mouse cursor will disappear, talking about frustrating.

Anyone can help out with my jagged text in SuSe7.2 and disappearing mouse cursor?

<b><font color=blue>1.5</b></font color=blue> T-Bird
<b><font color=red>2.1</b></font color=red> P4 Speed

G

i also tried partitioning my disk through partition magic using the new os wizard, but when loading linux it wouldn't recognize the partition as even existing. supposedly PM put the "/" in there for me, but did you add an additional one? where and how?

hope i don't run into so many problems once i actually get it loaded... it's enough just getting it on there.

i had a drink the other day... opinions were like kittens i was givin' away

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Well I had to add the "/" for the SuSe7.2 to load and boot from the partition. I am really too ignorant to give good advice. I havn't turn on my Linux machine in 5 days. I getting this feeling, why learn a whole new operating system when I can't even go into any local store and buy a Linux game. There are some programs I can buy locally. But then again Linux is open source and I shouldn't have to buy much. OK I better get busy and learn this sucker.

<b><font color=blue>1.5</b></font color=blue> T-Bird
<b><font color=red>2.1</b></font color=red> P4 Speed

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I have redhat 7.1 installed.

I can't remember the sizes but,
I think have a tiny amount for /boot. (Linux Native)
125mb for /swap (Linux Swap)
8GB for / (Linux native) which accomodates all the other directories.

I first partitioned my hard disk using Fdisk first, where I just left a bit of space in the top of the hard drive for the '/boot' partition. In the extended partition I left a >8GB free for the other two partitions.

Then, when I started the linux installation, I just made the necessary partitions using disk druid in the space I left blank.

I'm not sure if this helps 'cos I'm not even sure what the problem you're actually facing.

<font color=red><i>Tomorrow I will live, the fool does say
today itself's too late; the wise lived yesterday