Sign in with
Your question
Closed

iBuypower Gamer 942IL: Best of the Best?

Tags:
Last response: in Reviews comments
Anonymous
June 20, 2008 4:54:58 AM

iBuyPower has the WORST support I have ever encountered. I bought a laptop from them which had a design flaw in the lcd (screen cable was too short, opening the screen would loosen it and black out the image). They said it was caused by the user and refused to replace it. I would recommend staying far away from anything they sell.
Score
June 20, 2008 7:19:33 AM

ABS and Tagan are related and seem to have a good quality name in the business as well as being associated with the great Newegg.com.....
Score
Related resources
June 20, 2008 7:22:58 AM

I meant that they were related to each other and not to iBuyPower.
Score
June 20, 2008 9:10:08 AM

Where are the Crysis benchmarks?
I would think someone who's going to spend that much money on a PC would like to know how the computer fairs in the mother of all benchmarks.
How about benchmarking some newer games that are actually a bit more demanding than the old games you're using just to show some high numbers?

Also, why on earth would someone spend all that money when you can get the same configuration yourself for half the price?
Tech support is never worth that much money, IMO.
Score
June 20, 2008 10:29:23 AM

Also Alienware's top model is only a bit more expensive but it buys u soo much more bragging rights, not to mention their extremely stylish cases..
Score
June 20, 2008 10:31:41 AM

If I was gonna dish out that much $$$ I'd go with a better named company with better support, something like Alienware and take their top model; 790i SLI mobo, Intel core 2 Extreme QX9770, 2x SLI 9800 GX2 etc...
Score
June 20, 2008 12:14:08 PM

Yeah, why are there no Crysis benchmarks here?
That was the only gaming benchmark that I was planning to take note of when I started the reading the article. This is like reviewing a new system 2 years ago and not running an Oblivian benchmark. Makes no sense?
Score
June 20, 2008 1:27:06 PM

i was going to buy an ibuypower, but decided to make my own. if you spent 3500 on a homebuilt system, that would certainly be better than ibuypower. plus, if you look at the BBB website, they are doing horrible.
Score
June 20, 2008 2:14:30 PM

I think the game benchmarks for this review absolutely sucked. I mean, comon. You know that somethings wrong when mose of the game abenchmarks are ran in the 100 FPS range. Also, I don't give a crap how these 2 systems run archiac games like Prey and Serious Sam or even Quake 4. When is Toms Hardware going to realize that they need to update their benchmarks significally? The main thing I do on PC's is game, and right now I have no idea which system to choose because of the crappy game choices for benchmarking. I was disgusted by this review and I know there are others that feel the same way.
Score
June 20, 2008 2:52:01 PM

For that money I could have built an XP-64 bit system with two 2GB sticks, a raid 0 raptor boot with a TB raid 1 D:\, and saved a ton of money by getting a real quad core CPU from AMD versus an Intel duo-core or dual-dual-core. Where is the dedicated audio card? I'd skip buying Creative of course with their known desire to not support their products. I don't play any of those games and I still like seeing Oblivion on benchmarks. Where is Crysis? Even though it's not really my kind of game it's benchmarking value is rather obvious. Lastly what is the warranty on the system? Do you get five years on the hard drive like you do if you buy a couple of Seagates? Or a ten year life-time warranty when you buy memory like Corsair?

Pre-built systems may look nice though they generally are built for people who are going to burn money once every two or three years on a new system. I'm still happy with my 939 setup and won't bother to upgrade until socket AM3 any way.
Score
June 20, 2008 3:04:50 PM

In regards to the testing, I'll echo other comments by wondering why Crysis, or at least COD4 weren't included. As for the system itself, I don't understand why IBuyPower wouldn't use a raptor or velociraptor for the OS and the TB for data, I think that would be more useful for most people. One last thing, the homebuilt vs prebuilt debate isn't really applicable here, anyone who can build their own rig will do so; so why even bother looking at an ibuypower?
Score
June 20, 2008 3:55:03 PM

I'm really dissapointed in Tom's after reading this review. First off, as others have mentioned, why isn't Cysis benchmarked? If you are spending $3500 on a rig, chances are you are buying it so you can run the highest settings on Crysis.

Second, why would they even do the testing when the system they recevied is not the one customers will get? If someone is spending $3500 on a system, chances are they are not saavy enough to build one themselves, then they are probably not going to overclock the system. Also, the system they received is not even covered under the company's warranty.

All Tom's did is prove they are desperate for material to right articles about, that Uberclok is a superior company, and that ibuypower is a bunch of cheating crooks.

It's really been a mixed bag lately with Tom's sites. I've got to start looking elsewhere for my tech news.
Score
June 20, 2008 4:13:06 PM

Alright guys.

First off, I challenge anyone who says that a product isn't worth reviewing. If all we did was review the industry best, 100% of the time, we really wouldn't have any idea what differentiates the best from the rest - would we? So the elitist 'let's only review the stuff we already know is great' attitude is pretty lame, as far as I'm concerned.

Crysis? Yeah, that would have been nice. The reason we didn't bench it is that the closest system we had to compare the iBuypower to was the Uberclock system, which Crysis wasn't benched on and we no longer have in the lab. It wasn't my call not to bench Crysis on the Uberclock system in the first place.

Having said that, who here is incapable of recognizing a performance difference without Crysis holding their hand? Seriously. Does the existence of Crysis make all other forms of performance measure useless? I don't think so, the delta is still there and demonstrates the point. And what about all of the other non-gaming benchmarks that are quite valid?

Clearly, you guys want to see Crysis as a benchmark staple, I'm not even disagreeing with you and I'll do what I can to make sure it's always included in the future.

What I don't understand is the hair trigger you guys have on the gun that instantly blasts any review as useless when, really, there's a hell of a lot of relevant content in there. There's plenty of information to base a valid conclusion on, even without Crysis.
Score
June 20, 2008 5:10:07 PM

I have to disagree with you cleeve.

Even though Crysis should not be the only means to benchmark a system, it is a standard today that should be used. Not all games scale the same with different system configurations, so looking at Prey and Quake 4 benchmarks will not definitively tell me how Crysis will perform on a specific system.

Considering that game benchmarks are based on absolute numbers like FPS, having done a benchmark with Crysis would still be useful even though the there was no data available for the Uberclock.

I still think the article was useful however.
Score
Anonymous
June 20, 2008 5:17:15 PM

You're comparing a computer reviewed months ago, to a brand new one. Right there is a joke. What is the point of comparing a dual 8800gtx's (over a year and a half old card) to dual 9800gtx's (few months old)? Also, Uberclok now has the Reactor available with dual 9800gtx's for under $3000. Sorry, but your review is completely flawed and lacks logic imo. This is why I no longer turn to TH for reviews.
Score
June 20, 2008 5:33:37 PM

pokeefe363 What is the point of comparing a dual 8800gtx's (over a year and a half old card) to dual 9800gtx's (few months old)?

The fact that the performance results were so close kind of justifies the comparison...
Score
June 20, 2008 5:39:48 PM

phantomkingI have to disagree with you cleeve. Even though Crysis should not be the only means to benchmark a system, it is a standard today that should be used.

I don't think you disagree with me, I never said Crysis shouldn't be benchmarked. As I said, I'd have preferred to have Crysis included as well and will do what I can to make sure it's included in the future.

My point is that the lack of Crysis doesn't automatically invalidate the results and the review.
Score
June 20, 2008 5:49:48 PM

LOL gellert think's Alienware has good support! haha, no.

I bought a $4,000 laptop from Alienware, it was DOA, sent it back, came back a month later and still DOA, asked for a refund, they said it's been over a month.

Honestly, you can't possibly do worse than Alienware. They are the bottom of the bucket, most aweful computer company on the planet. www.alienwaresucks.com
Score
June 20, 2008 7:35:27 PM

cleeveI don't think you disagree with me, I never said Crysis shouldn't be benchmarked. As I said, I'd have preferred to have Crysis included as well and will do what I can to make sure it's included in the future.My point is that the lack of Crysis doesn't automatically invalidate the results and the review.

I think my disagreement stands. Even though you never said it shouldn't be benchmarked, you are saying it didn't matter. If you're reviewing a gaming PC today, especially a $3600 one, then Crysis is a must because it tests the extremes. It doesn't invalidate the results but they're incomplete and it leaves a gaping hole for the majority of readers.
Score
June 20, 2008 8:57:29 PM

My mistake. If you find a number of other synthetic, media ancoding, 3d rendering, and other game benchmarks completely invalidated because Crysis wasn't included... then I guess we do disagree. :) 
Score
June 20, 2008 9:11:58 PM

Lol @ Gellert. Alienware only gets you bragging rights in circles where noone knows what a computer is, and they all think more expensive = better.
Score
Anonymous
June 20, 2008 9:55:07 PM

Yea the comment about the Alienware is quite irrelevant. Maybe it only served to show off the fact that someone was willing to spend a lot of $$ on a gaming laptop. Go to notebookreview.com or some notebook forum for that kind of complaint. Please.
Score
June 21, 2008 3:09:23 AM

I was going to order myself a ibuypower laptop, but I noticed they had outdated carppy 97' audio on it. It was cheap, but my friends told me that they have the worst tech support ever. *note: I never bought one.
Score
June 21, 2008 3:15:04 AM

Not including Crysis doesn't make this review irrelevant. Not including Crysis or CoD4, BioShock, Quake Wars, UT3, WiC, CoH, FSX, Test Drive Unlimited, Grid, Mass Effect, etc. is what makes this review irrelevant.
I don't want to sound mean, but you might as well have benchmarked Pong, Space Invaders and Pac-Man.

Flexing muscles of a $3600 rig against the games that a $600 rig can run at 60 fps is not very useful.

"The reason we didn't bench it is that the closest system we had to compare the iBuypower to was the Uberclock system, which Crysis wasn't benched on and we no longer have in the lab."
So what if you don't have Crysis benchmarked on any previous system? Why not start now? What is to prevent you from making the same excuse every time you review a machine? If you never take the first set and review the game for the first time, you will never have anything to compare the future machines to.

And I believe that you should run any high end system against the one you guys created few months back in your System Builder Marathon. That rig and those benchmarks should be your staples against which these machines should compete against.

Also, I think it would be relevent to include a mid-cost system as well, just to see what double the price will get you.
Score
June 21, 2008 5:29:19 PM

Served @ phantomking ;) 
Score
June 21, 2008 10:03:46 PM

This is not an article that should be on Tom's Hardware, it is a marketing piece written for technical levels far below the average readership of the site. I am shocked that Tom's would not only publish this garbage, but then try to pass it off as an unbiased 'review'. Serious Sam 2 and Quake 4, are you kidding me?

@Cleeve
It's not that the numbers are invalid, you probably got those numbers. The point is the numbers are irrelevant; they are games capable of running on a new eeePC. To say that the benchmark justified itself is ridiculous because it ignores the results entirely: both systems scores are nearly identical, proving that hardware has so far outpaced the software that the choices are inconsequential.
Score
June 22, 2008 8:28:35 AM

Cleeve,

I greatly respect you for your very thorough graphics reviews, and as well for your inciteful comments in some of the forums, so I'll refrain from some of the above nitpicking comments on one of your first system reviews.

BUT... Can you please enlighten me on where I might get some of this GDDR3 system RAM?
Score
June 22, 2008 11:42:26 AM

I can understand using the old benchmarks, you can at least extrapolate, to an extent, to get an idea of the performance.

My problem is reliability. When IBPs work, they are fine, but the screwups and problems you end up seem to be a lot worse than with any other manufacturer. I understand TH not having the ability to do a lot of reliability-over-time testing, by the time you are done, the stuff is outdated, or you have to spend inordinant amounts of money on a large number of systems. However, in cases like this, links to a few purchaser-review sites on the manufacturers would be nice.

I typically read a couple of positives on each, and then a large number of negatives. I figure the positives are going to be about the same, but the problems you get are where the companies differ. It's a good idea to do that with any company before you buy, and not just look at the rating number. For some reason, some companies just seem to have less demanding customers (ex. a few years ago I compared company A and company B, A was 2 points out of 10 better than B in ratings, but if you looked at the reviews, customers of A tended to give A 2-4 points more for the same level of quality. As a note, A had a rather gimicky name - no it wasn't IBP. I looked at company C who had the longest history, and a lot of loyal customers, and they were a lot like A, for the same issues you had 2-4 more points in the rating).

Anyway, links to customer review sites, and a good sized random sampling of positive and negative reviews (as well as a proportion of positive to negative reviews) would be nice.
Score
June 22, 2008 12:35:29 PM

In order to find the best, all possibilities must be reviewed ranging from good to bad. There are a few companies to deal with that make expensive gaming computers like this one. Each one has many positive and negative aspects. Most certainly you can build your own system exactly like this one for a lesser price but you are also then replacing dollars with your own experience and skill. For those that know nothing about building their own system and yet still want a top of the line system, companies like this one give the public that ability. Arguments of comparing this company's product to a self built system is really mute and irrelevant. Comparison of this company's top of the line gaming machine to Alienware's equivalent or Dell's XPS or even HP's Blackbird 002 is more along the lines of a warranted and good comparison. As these machines are specifically made for people who do not want to build their own machines and want something already made for them. Tech Support for these machines and warranty of parts would also be important to compare.
I'm glad reviews like this one are done. I wish more no name company products were reviewed.
Score
June 22, 2008 2:23:36 PM

iBuypower / Cyberpower PC (they are practically the same company) is Sh*t. Complete garbage. Utterly not worth your time. Ever wonder how they have such "too good to be true deals?" They cut corners wherever possible, whether that be component quality, care of assembly, customer support, or keeping their word when it costs them money.

I made the mistake of ordering a PC from them once. Long story short, when it arrived, it was DOA. Would not even turn on. And the way it was assembled made it clear that it was put together by monkeys. Blind, mentally retarded monkeys. The MoBo plate in the back was misaligned, some cables were loose in the case, others weren't attached. I'm almost glad that it didn't turn on, otherwise it might have shorted out.

Their website claims that all computers are tested for 24 hours before being sent out. LIE! (Obviously, since mine didn't even turn on!) Also, the case itself had a sticker that stated that INDIVIDUAL COMPONENTS are tested, NOT assembled systems.

So I called "tech support," which was nothing more than me calling their main line the first person to pick up the phone (automated phone system? HA!) attempt to give me tech support in broken EngRish (the company is both run and staffed by Asian immigrants) and suggested that maybe a cable came loose during shipping. It hadn't.

I then spend several days talking to a manager trying to get a refund on my $60 shipping charge. I finally threatened to call the BBB and the California Attorney General's office (BIG TIP: threaten to do this. The company is based in Cali and the state attorney general's office is in charge of investigating shady businesses), as well as to blast the company all over the net. And I'm still keeping my promise after 2 years.

He then finally agreed to refund shipping. I asked for an email from him stating this (which he sent). I returned the "PC" back to iBuypower, and they refunded me, but NOT the shipping! Two years later, I'm still waiting for the refund on my shipping charge!

SCREW iBUYPOWER! They are the absolute worst.

Don't believe me? Think I just had an isolated, bad experience? Search for them on resellerratings.com and / or the BBB.

The solution? Build it yourself for the same price. Too hard? Go to your local newsstand (Wal-Mart has it) and pick up the PC Gamer PC Builder's Bible. Easy to follow guide with clear instructions and lots of pictures.
Score
June 22, 2008 2:24:33 PM

I should mention that, in total, I found 8 assembly defects total, including 1 missing or wrong hardware installed (this was a year and a half ago).
Score
Anonymous
June 22, 2008 3:36:02 PM

Who's the moron who thinks AMD has a better quad core than Intel?
Score
June 22, 2008 10:09:52 PM

i dont see the use of it why people spend a $3000 computer or a $4000 notebook. in my opinion you could spend the money better else where on a car or a house perhaps or give it too me :)  but i rather build a cheap gaming system since im a poor student. so value for money is more importment for me.
Score
June 22, 2008 11:32:14 PM

@cleeve

Do you guys also test the stability of the overclocks with prime95 or an equivalent? You can read about the stability issues on the eVGA Forums, there are plenty of unsatisfied customers and I happen to be one of them. I have read all your reviews that include the 790i and must admit disappointment that none of the rampant problems with the 790i are brought to light.
Score
June 22, 2008 11:33:43 PM

@cleeve

Do you guys also test the stability of the overclocks with prime95 or an equivalent? You can read about the stability issues on the eVGA Forums, there are plenty of unsatisfied customers and I happen to be one of them. I have read all your reviews that include the 790i and must admit disappointment that none of the rampant problems with the 790i are brought to light.
Score
June 22, 2008 11:49:01 PM

@ cleeve: Good article overall. Phantomking didn't say the lack of Crysis invalidated your review, but it "leaves a gaping hole." I have to agree with him on this. You did not test for the extreme. We want to know how the new system does against the best.
Score
June 23, 2008 1:27:39 AM

Oh yeah! Serious Sam and Warhammer Mark Of Chaos are really gonna put a hurtin' on your $3,500 gaming PC. Seriously I joked about the last review for a pre built system you guys did, saying it was a paid review because of the old game selection. This time I'm really wondering.

Memo to Tom's: No one plays any of those games anymore with the exception of S.C. and Prey. Keep S.C. in your benching list, but Prey? Prey was never that harsh on a PC to begin with.
Score
June 23, 2008 1:46:48 AM

Ok , First off ,
#1 The IBuyPower 942IL should have been set back to 3.2Ghz , if they ship out at default specs to normal everyday customers! for this review.
#2 Crysis game results put up , even its just for this computer. Not all TomsHardware readers read just this site , we can go elsewere and compare specs with other reviewers sites..
#3 Prime95 should have been run if this machine came in as 3.5Ghz and stress tested.
#4 , It seems Tomshardware did little research on this company and their performance and ratings company wise.

Score
June 23, 2008 2:37:37 AM

Two Words"Flacon Northwest" you should check out their Web site.
Score
June 23, 2008 3:36:58 AM

Mr RobotoOh yeah! Serious Sam and Warhammer Mark Of Chaos are really gonna put a hurtin' on your $3,500 gaming PC. Seriously I joked about the last review for a pre built system you guys did, saying it was a paid review because of the old game selection. This time I'm really wondering. Memo to Tom's: No one plays any of those games anymore with the exception of S.C. and Prey. Keep S.C. in your benching list, but Prey? Prey was never that harsh on a PC to begin with.

I concur , I wonder if TomsHardware is getting paid to shove up old games and their benchmarks...mmmmmmm

Comment Mr Tom ?
Score
June 23, 2008 1:37:45 PM

I had a terrible experience a few years back with ibuypower. The new computer I bought from them showed up without a dvd drive I had ordered first off. No big deal right? I called and after arguing with them that no I don't have it and I'm not trying to trick them they sent one out. I go to put it in myself and imagine my surprise when I see the SUPERGLUED THE RAM IN!!! Not kidding. I had to take a razor and carefully remove it. I called and yelled at them but they wouldn't do anything about it. I found other things superglued as well. I don't know what monkey they had working on the assembly line but I'll never buy a premade computer again. Stay away from them if you can.
Score
June 23, 2008 2:33:37 PM

@TH

COD4, AoC, TF2, Crysis...
I only care about the games I play and by comparison most other gamers play as well. Listen to your audience! Throw in popular games for benchmarks or don't bother.
Score
June 23, 2008 2:48:22 PM

Alright, the masses have spoken.

Frankly it's not my call, but I hear you and I'll do what I can to make sure this is corrected in the future.
Score
June 23, 2008 3:22:05 PM

Definitely not worth the money right now. The test shows pretty clear the 942IL truly shines on the multi-threaded scenes, this is the case of technology being available but not enough applications/games out there that utilizes it to justify the cost. Like the beginning of the article said this machine is build to last a long time, but on the other hand by the time more applications/games using multi-threaded technology come about this system will no longer be the "best of the best" out there. For a gaming rig of 3.6k I'd want something that IS the best right now, not something that can't pull away from a machine that's over a year old in technology. Given the 942IL still have room to upgrade (can OC to 4.0) but iBuypower made it clear such act will void their waranty. Bottom line: if I were to have a "top of the line" rig, it'd be based on what applications/games out there, and also I'd rather build it myself.
Score
June 23, 2008 6:39:27 PM

Sorry Cleve, but this review is truly flawed. So you didn't have Crysis to use as a benchmark? That's unnerving. Is Tom's so broke now that they can't keep a copy of the most GPU taxing game in their labs? Just because the benchmarking utilities give the system a good score doesn't mean Crysis will run well on it.

It's pretty simple Cleve; All reveiws that involve benchmarks for gaming rigs must have Crysis as one of the games. It is that simple.

Also, reviewing a system that is overclocked by the company even though it won't be when the customer gets it is fraud IMO. Noboby I know that spends $3500 on a prebuilt system is going to overclock it, especially when that voids the warranty.

People who spend that kind of money on a prebuilt system are not tech saavy enough to try and overclock it. They buy it, set it up, and never even open the case for as long as they own it.

Also, reviewing a system that is overclocked by the factory in order to get better results than what the customer is going to get is fraud. Yes they told you they did it, but it still doesn't negate the fact that the customer will not see the same results when he opens up his Ibuypower box, and will void his warranty if he trys to.

Tom's should have told Ibuypower to send a stock system for testing. To me, the fact that Ibuypower did this tells me that they are NOT a reputable company and that I will never buy or recommend their products. I think they did themselves a disservice with this ploy. I also think Tom's lessened their credibilty when they tested the system in its overclocked state.
Score
June 23, 2008 9:33:46 PM

Read the previous comments, jcwbnimble. We have Crysis, but we wanted to bench the system against a previously benched system no longer in house. We had to use the same benches we'd used previously for comparative purposes.

Also read that we've noted the readers comments. A new benchmark suite is on the way, and we won't be comparing systems unless we can get new data.
Score
Anonymous
June 24, 2008 2:00:08 AM

Sad sad review but good you have made changes(or going to),off topic ,Can you please let everyone know how the HD4850 in crosssfire kicks the crap out of that overblown gtx 280 dinosaur.
Score
Anonymous
June 24, 2008 5:39:15 PM

Even if it wasn't a comparison to the other PC, benchmarks of recent games would be more meaningfully. All this does is make me think they have something to hide by not showing benchmarks of current games.

Are there any good custom PC builders out there now? Monarch Computers was nice because they had prices similar to Newegg and even cheaper sometimes then assemble it for only $75.
Score
June 25, 2008 12:07:47 PM

Domestic12Sad sad review but good you have made changes(or going to),off topic ,Can you please let everyone know how the HD4850 in crosssfire kicks the crap out of that overblown gtx 280 dinosaur.

In your fantasy it does. crossfire gets pounded in all but a few select instances.
Score
!