good to find some morrowind players!

I'm so happy to find some fellow marrowind players on newsgroups. I
don't want to seem like a troll or anything, but this is my first post
here and I will continue to post! heh.

I have a question.

I was doing the Poplyon Indecies (probably spelling it bad...Master
Index plugin the Third One in Maar Gan) and something strange
happened. I walked in and figured I'd just steal it and pay off the
guards outside, but after I picked it up everyone began attacking the
hell out of me. heh. I decided to just quickly get out of there and
used Alumsivi Intervention which immediately sent me to Ald Rhn, ran
into a guard to pay off my bounty, and then I ran back to Caldera to
get my reward and info on the next index. The index was not in my
inventory nor was it back in Maar Gan where I found it. I went on a
rampage and killed everyone in both towns thinking maybe someone stole
it from me (didn't save, of course) and I couldn't find it.

It seems to have just blatently disappeared from the game, along with
some arrows I had recently bought too and some gems.

Know any import codes for this one...I think I'll be needing them.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 20:39:39 GMT, Mydnight <askme@askme.now> wrote:

>I'm so happy to find some fellow marrowind players on newsgroups. I
>don't want to seem like a troll or anything, but this is my first post
>here and I will continue to post! heh.
>
>I have a question.
>
>I was doing the Poplyon Indecies (probably spelling it bad...Master
>Index plugin the Third One in Maar Gan) and something strange
>happened. I walked in and figured I'd just steal it and pay off the
>guards outside, but after I picked it up everyone began attacking the
>hell out of me. heh. I decided to just quickly get out of there and
>used Alumsivi Intervention which immediately sent me to Ald Rhn, ran
>into a guard to pay off my bounty, and then I ran back to Caldera to
>get my reward and info on the next index. The index was not in my
>inventory nor was it back in Maar Gan where I found it. I went on a
>rampage and killed everyone in both towns thinking maybe someone stole
>it from me (didn't save, of course) and I couldn't find it.
>
>It seems to have just blatently disappeared from the game, along with
>some arrows I had recently bought too and some gems.
>
>Know any import codes for this one...I think I'll be needing them.

I'm afraid I don't know the import codes, but your stuff is most
probably in the Evidence Chest in Fort Buckmoth in Ald'ruhn. The
guards remove all "stolen" items from your inventory whenever you are
arrested. The problem is that if you "steal" (and that could mean
picking it up in a bandit's cave) an item, all items of that type are
forever marked "stolen" and the guards will take them every time.
I've even read of a case where the guards took one of the Main Quest
items from a player.
--
Nyctolops

I usually avoid stealing. The Maar Gan index, for example, can be
bought rather cheaply from a priest downstairs at the Maar Gan
temple. And if, for example, you ask the guy upstairs standing
next to the index, he'll tell you about the guy downstairs who
will sell it to you.

Very few things in Morrowind HAVE to be stolen--even if you
work for the thieves guild. And charming merchants out of
both their merchandise and cash seems so much easier than
stealing their stuff (and complicating your game).

If, BTW, you go into console mode (hit the ' key), and type
"tfh" (without the quotes, for toggle full help), the game
will tell you what the tag on items is. If it is untagged or
tagged for a rank you have (like mage guild rank associate),
then you can partake freely, without getting items listed
as stolen.

oooooh. i didn't realize that. no wonder some of my stuff kept going
up missing. Man, I should go check out that chest; I bet there's all
kind of old stuff of mine in there. hah.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.

> oooooh. i didn't realize that. no wonder some of my stuff kept going
> up missing. Man, I should go check out that chest; I bet there's all
> kind of old stuff of mine in there. hah.

Depending on how widespread your crime-spree has been, you may have stuff
sitting in evidence chests all over the place. There's one at every Legion
fort (Moonmoth, Buckmoth, Hawkmoth, Pelagiad, Darius, and Wolverine Hall),
and I think there's others as well. (Thinking there's one underneath Tel
Vos, and one in Vivec, though I'm not certain if those ever get used or
not.) Also Frostmoth in Bloodmoon and the jail in Mournhold in Tribunal, of
course. Myself, I just make a point of not getting caught doing a crime. I
generally reload if someone reports it. Or if you're a Thieve's Guild
member you can pay off your bounty without losing your stuff. Morag Tong of
course can use a Writ to get out of paying for the crime. (I actually
prefer to do Morag Tong assassinations in plain sight, and then use the Writ
to get out of it. Otherwise, you just end up with an inventory of old Writs
you don't need.)

Mydnight wrote:

> It seems to have just blatently disappeared from the game, along with
> some arrows I had recently bought too and some gems.

The guard confiscated it, as the item was marked as stolen. Hence, you
can find it in the evidence chest of the closest Legion Fort, which
should be the Ald'Ruhn (Fort Buckmoth?) fort as you said you paid your
fine there.
If you are Knight Protector (or higher) of the Legion, you can just take
the stuff out of the evidence chest. If not, you got to find some more
or less subtle way to gain access to that chest. :)

My crime-spree wasn't that great. Just some random gems and things of
that nature. Luckily, I had another save game before the problem
occured, so I went back to my old faithful method of theft;
Invisibility. I have a ring of Kajeetf (something) and a very high
sneak rating. I don't know exactly why I didn't bother doing that
before.

It has been about a year and a half since I played the game, though.
I had my character saved and it's hard to remember exactly where I am.
heh.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.

> My crime-spree wasn't that great. Just some random gems and things of
> that nature. Luckily, I had another save game before the problem
> occured, so I went back to my old faithful method of theft;
> Invisibility. I have a ring of Kajeetf (something) and a very high
> sneak rating. I don't know exactly why I didn't bother doing that
> before.

Even better is the Amulet of Shadows, which you find in a small mini-quest
on the trip from Gnisis to Ald Velothi. It gives you 80% Chameleon, which
with only a moderate amount of Sneak will let you get away with almost
anything. Invisibility is nearly useless, I think, because as soon as you
touch something, you reappear, and unless you've got very good Sneak, the
only thing you can do is just walk past hostile creatures. Actually taking
the Index that way would almost surely get you caught.

Another trick if you're desperate is to screw stealth, just grab the index
and run. Then go hide somewhere safe with no witnesses, and stash all your
stolen goods. (It helps to remember which goods are stolen...) Turn
yourself into the authorities and pay your penalty, and then just go back to
your stash and retrieve the items while nobody's around to see you.
(Actually, you can usually do this even with witnesses, provided none of
them is either the rightful owner, in the same faction as the owner, or a
guard.)

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 20:30:05 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
wrote:

>> My crime-spree wasn't that great. Just some random gems and things of
>> that nature. Luckily, I had another save game before the problem
>> occured, so I went back to my old faithful method of theft;
>> Invisibility. I have a ring of Kajeetf (something) and a very high
>> sneak rating. I don't know exactly why I didn't bother doing that
>> before.
>
>Even better is the Amulet of Shadows, which you find in a small mini-quest
>on the trip from Gnisis to Ald Velothi. It gives you 80% Chameleon, which
>with only a moderate amount of Sneak will let you get away with almost
>anything. Invisibility is nearly useless, I think, because as soon as you
>touch something, you reappear, and unless you've got very good Sneak, the
>only thing you can do is just walk past hostile creatures. Actually taking
>the Index that way would almost surely get you caught.

I have that amulet, actually. I use it most of the time, but I used
invisibility on this mission. It can enable you to sneak 100 percent
and as long as nobody is looking in the general direction of the
index, you're gold. But, you're right, Chameleon is better for this
sort of thing. I did get the index my way after restoring a save
game! heh.

>Another trick if you're desperate is to screw stealth, just grab the index
>and run. Then go hide somewhere safe with no witnesses, and stash all your
>stolen goods. (It helps to remember which goods are stolen...) Turn
>yourself into the authorities and pay your penalty, and then just go back to
>your stash and retrieve the items while nobody's around to see you.
>(Actually, you can usually do this even with witnesses, provided none of
>them is either the rightful owner, in the same faction as the owner, or a
>guard.)

cool. i didn't think of that. i used to just not get caught, and on
the occasion that I did, I would wonder where the items would go.
heh.

Mydnight

thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.