USB 2.0 connecting cable

Can someone advise me the maximum length of connecting cable is allowed for
the connection between the printer and desktop pc.

Thanks,

Ray
6 answers Last reply
More about connecting cable

    Ray
    I believe the maximum length of a standard USB 2.0 cable is 5 metres, this can
    be extended using devices like repeaters, powered hubs, USB to CAT5 converters
    etc.
    Longer runs may work but not guaranteed.
    Tony

    <Tony> wrote in message news:part1of1.1.e0vzF3Px9q6x6g@ue.ph...
    > Ray
    > I believe the maximum length of a standard USB 2.0 cable is 5 metres, this
    can
    > be extended using devices like repeaters, powered hubs, USB to CAT5
    converters
    > etc.
    > Longer runs may work but not guaranteed.
    > Tony

    Yes 5M is the official value I believe. Longer cables may work. The speed
    won't depend on the length. It will either work at USB 2.0 data rates or it
    will be unreliable.

    You can always use a small hub to chain several 5M lengths together. I think
    that way you can go up to about 30M. That's meant to work reliably but I
    wouldn't bank on it because it means that a huge earth loop is formed. The
    possibility of noise spikes on the mains causing problems is increased. Much
    better to do it another way.

    You can get USB point-point wireless links but these may not work if you
    already have a wireless LAN installed or nearby.

    Many thanks to Tony & Colin for your useful information.

    Ray

    > <Tony> wrote in message news:part1of1.1.e0vzF3Px9q6x6g@ue.ph...
    >> Ray
    >> I believe the maximum length of a standard USB 2.0 cable is 5 metres,
    >> this
    > can
    >> be extended using devices like repeaters, powered hubs, USB to CAT5
    > converters
    >> etc.
    >> Longer runs may work but not guaranteed.
    >> Tony
    >
    > Yes 5M is the official value I believe. Longer cables may work. The speed
    > won't depend on the length. It will either work at USB 2.0 data rates or
    > it
    > will be unreliable.
    >
    > You can always use a small hub to chain several 5M lengths together. I
    > think
    > that way you can go up to about 30M. That's meant to work reliably but I
    > wouldn't bank on it because it means that a huge earth loop is formed. The
    > possibility of noise spikes on the mains causing problems is increased.
    > Much
    > better to do it another way.
    >
    > You can get USB point-point wireless links but these may not work if you
    > already have a wireless LAN installed or nearby.

    You can also get a estension cable that extnds the range. With a
    booster built in :)

    Usb cable booster do a google.

    "Ray" <NoSpam-lizhiqiang1@GMail.com> wrote in message
    > Can someone advise me the maximum length of connecting cable is allowed
    for
    > the connection between the printer and desktop pc.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ray

    I see you have your official answers here, but why not go wireless? The mess
    of wired connections and the frustration factor of adding all the other
    hardware, in my opinion, is simply not worth it...

    Wifi print servers are available now and are getting cheaper (Epson has one
    but it's a bit pricey)...if you have some other brand printer the JetDirect
    or LinkSys work in most cases...

    Then you only have to worry about security since your neighbors will
    see the signal, and interference from cordless phones and microwave
    ovens. Wired is almost always better than wireless where feasible.

    Marky wrote:

    > I see you have your official answers here, but why not go wireless? The mess
    > of wired connections and the frustration factor of adding all the other
    > hardware, in my opinion, is simply not worth it...
    >
    > Wifi print servers are available now and are getting cheaper (Epson has one
    > but it's a bit pricey)...if you have some other brand printer the JetDirect
    > or LinkSys work in most cases...

Printers Connection USB Cable Peripherals