USB 2.0 connecting cable

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

Can someone advise me the maximum length of connecting cable is allowed for
the connection between the printer and desktop pc.

Thanks,

Ray

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Ray
I believe the maximum length of a standard USB 2.0 cable is 5 metres, this can
be extended using devices like repeaters, powered hubs, USB to CAT5 converters
etc.
Longer runs may work but not guaranteed.
Tony

<Tony> wrote in message news:part1of1.1.e0vzF3Px9q6x6g@ue.ph...
> Ray
> I believe the maximum length of a standard USB 2.0 cable is 5 metres, this
can
> be extended using devices like repeaters, powered hubs, USB to CAT5
converters
> etc.
> Longer runs may work but not guaranteed.
> Tony

Yes 5M is the official value I believe. Longer cables may work. The speed
won't depend on the length. It will either work at USB 2.0 data rates or it
will be unreliable.

You can always use a small hub to chain several 5M lengths together. I think
that way you can go up to about 30M. That's meant to work reliably but I
wouldn't bank on it because it means that a huge earth loop is formed. The
possibility of noise spikes on the mains causing problems is increased. Much
better to do it another way.

You can get USB point-point wireless links but these may not work if you
already have a wireless LAN installed or nearby.

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

Many thanks to Tony & Colin for your useful information.

Ray

> <Tony> wrote in message news:part1of1.1.e0vzF3Px9q6x6g@ue.ph...
>> Ray
>> I believe the maximum length of a standard USB 2.0 cable is 5 metres,
>> this
> can
>> be extended using devices like repeaters, powered hubs, USB to CAT5
> converters
>> etc.
>> Longer runs may work but not guaranteed.
>> Tony
>
> Yes 5M is the official value I believe. Longer cables may work. The speed
> won't depend on the length. It will either work at USB 2.0 data rates or
> it
> will be unreliable.
>
> You can always use a small hub to chain several 5M lengths together. I
> think
> that way you can go up to about 30M. That's meant to work reliably but I
> wouldn't bank on it because it means that a huge earth loop is formed. The
> possibility of noise spikes on the mains causing problems is increased.
> Much
> better to do it another way.
>
> You can get USB point-point wireless links but these may not work if you
> already have a wireless LAN installed or nearby.

You can also get a estension cable that extnds the range. With a
booster built in :)

Usb cable booster do a google.

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 06:59:07 -0000, Tony <> wrote:

>Ray
>I believe the maximum length of a standard USB 2.0 cable is 5 metres, this can
>be extended using devices like repeaters, powered hubs, USB to CAT5 converters
>etc.
>Longer runs may work but not guaranteed.
>Tony
>
>"Ray" <NoSpam-lizhiqiang1@GMail.com> wrote:
>>Can someone advise me the maximum length of connecting cable is allowed for
>>the connection between the printer and desktop pc.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Ray

marky

"Ray" <NoSpam-lizhiqiang1@GMail.com> wrote in message
> Can someone advise me the maximum length of connecting cable is allowed
for
> the connection between the printer and desktop pc.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ray

I see you have your official answers here, but why not go wireless? The mess
of wired connections and the frustration factor of adding all the other
hardware, in my opinion, is simply not worth it...

Wifi print servers are available now and are getting cheaper (Epson has one
but it's a bit pricey)...if you have some other brand printer the JetDirect
or LinkSys work in most cases...

Then you only have to worry about security since your neighbors will
see the signal, and interference from cordless phones and microwave
ovens. Wired is almost always better than wireless where feasible.