Hard disk woking whem computer is idle

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi

I have a portable computar, an Acer Travelmate 291LMi, with Windows XP-SP2

When I'm working hard drive isn't working almost all the time (except of
course when I save something)

But if I leave my computer idle for some time (5 min or something) when I
get to the computer I see that the hardrive is working all the time (I can
hear and the light is blinking).

When I star using it again, noise and hard disk activity stops!

I don't know what is doing this and how to stop.

Can you help me?

Thank you

Pedro

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Try this, right click the C drive in Windows Explorer, select Properties,
remove the check from "Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast
file searching," click apply and ok. It's likely that indexing, which
usually goes on while the drive is idle, is the source of the issue.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"Pedro Sendas Pereira" <sendas@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have a portable computar, an Acer Travelmate 291LMi, with Windows XP-SP2
>
> When I'm working hard drive isn't working almost all the time (except of
> course when I save something)
>
> But if I leave my computer idle for some time (5 min or something) when I
> get to the computer I see that the hardrive is working all the time (I can
> hear and the light is blinking).
>
> When I star using it again, noise and hard disk activity stops!
>
> I don't know what is doing this and how to stop.
>
> Can you help me?
>
> Thank you
>
> Pedro

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Antivirus program checking in the background (or while screensaver is
active?)

Bobby

"Pedro Sendas Pereira" <sendas@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have a portable computar, an Acer Travelmate 291LMi, with Windows XP-SP2
>
> When I'm working hard drive isn't working almost all the time (except of
> course when I save something)
>
> But if I leave my computer idle for some time (5 min or something) when I
> get to the computer I see that the hardrive is working all the time (I can
> hear and the light is blinking).
>
> When I star using it again, noise and hard disk activity stops!
>
> I don't know what is doing this and how to stop.
>
> Can you help me?
>
> Thank you
>
> Pedro

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi

Thank you for your answer, but that didn't work :(

I went to Adminnistrative Tools + Services and turned off Indexing
Services...

:(

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> escreveu na mensagem
> Try this, right click the C drive in Windows Explorer, select Properties,
> remove the check from "Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast
> file searching," click apply and ok. It's likely that indexing, which
> usually goes on while the drive is idle, is the source of the issue.
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "Pedro Sendas Pereira" <sendas@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I have a portable computar, an Acer Travelmate 291LMi, with Windows
>> XP-SP2
>>
>> When I'm working hard drive isn't working almost all the time (except of
>> course when I save something)
>>
>> But if I leave my computer idle for some time (5 min or something) when I
>> get to the computer I see that the hardrive is working all the time (I
>> can hear and the light is blinking).
>>
>> When I star using it again, noise and hard disk activity stops!
>>
>> I don't know what is doing this and how to stop.
>>
>> Can you help me?
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> Pedro

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Do you have any third party applications monitoring your system, do you have
system?

--

> Hi
>
> Thank you for your answer, but that didn't work :(
>
> I went to Adminnistrative Tools + Services and turned off Indexing
> Services...
>
> :(
>
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> escreveu na mensagem
>> Try this, right click the C drive in Windows Explorer, select Properties,
>> remove the check from "Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast
>> file searching," click apply and ok. It's likely that indexing, which
>> usually goes on while the drive is idle, is the source of the issue.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>
>> "Pedro Sendas Pereira" <sendas@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have a portable computar, an Acer Travelmate 291LMi, with Windows
>>> XP-SP2
>>>
>>> When I'm working hard drive isn't working almost all the time (except of
>>> course when I save something)
>>>
>>> But if I leave my computer idle for some time (5 min or something) when
>>> I get to the computer I see that the hardrive is working all the time (I
>>> can hear and the light is blinking).
>>>
>>> When I star using it again, noise and hard disk activity stops!
>>>
>>> I don't know what is doing this and how to stop.
>>>
>>> Can you help me?
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>>
>>> Pedro

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I've turned off avirus...

"NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> escreveu na mensagem
> Antivirus program checking in the background (or while screensaver is
> active?)
>
> Bobby
>
> "Pedro Sendas Pereira" <sendas@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I have a portable computar, an Acer Travelmate 291LMi, with Windows
>> XP-SP2
>>
>> When I'm working hard drive isn't working almost all the time (except of
>> course when I save something)
>>
>> But if I leave my computer idle for some time (5 min or something) when I
>> get to the computer I see that the hardrive is working all the time (I
>> can hear and the light is blinking).
>>
>> When I star using it again, noise and hard disk activity stops!
>>
>> I don't know what is doing this and how to stop.
>>
>> Can you help me?
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> Pedro

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Perhaps it is defragging...

Bobby

> I've turned off avirus...
>
> "NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> escreveu na mensagem
>> Antivirus program checking in the background (or while screensaver is
>> active?)
>>
>> Bobby
>>
>> "Pedro Sendas Pereira" <sendas@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have a portable computar, an Acer Travelmate 291LMi, with Windows
>>> XP-SP2
>>>
>>> When I'm working hard drive isn't working almost all the time (except of
>>> course when I save something)
>>>
>>> But if I leave my computer idle for some time (5 min or something) when
>>> I get to the computer I see that the hardrive is working all the time (I
>>> can hear and the light is blinking).
>>>
>>> When I star using it again, noise and hard disk activity stops!
>>>
>>> I don't know what is doing this and how to stop.
>>>
>>> Can you help me?
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>>
>>> Pedro

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I don't have Go Back (i don't know what that is :p)

About third party applications, i don think I have...

> Do you have any third party applications monitoring your system, do you
> have Go Back installed on your system; if no, what do you have installed
> on your system?
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "Pedro Sendas Pereira" <sendas@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> Thank you for your answer, but that didn't work :(
>>
>> I went to Adminnistrative Tools + Services and turned off Indexing
>> Services...
>>
>> :(
>>
>> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> escreveu na mensagem
>>> Try this, right click the C drive in Windows Explorer, select
>>> Properties, remove the check from "Allow Indexing Service to index this
>>> disk for fast file searching," click apply and ok. It's likely that
>>> indexing, which usually goes on while the drive is idle, is the source
>>> of the issue.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>>> Windows Shell/User
>>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>>
>>> "Pedro Sendas Pereira" <sendas@gmail.com> wrote in message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Third party applications are those you've purchased from other
manufacturers, essentially, anything on your system that isn't Microsoft.

In any event, the system does do a lot of work in the background from time
to time when the system is idle. Restore points are created, it may be
adding information to the prefetch folder, the system also does some
optimization when the system is idle such as optimizing your setup for with
regard to quicker access to most used files and applications.

If you are concerned, turn your AV back on, be sure it is up to date and run
a scan on your system. Also, check for any malware, download, install and
run Ad Aware:
www.lavasoftusa.com.

It is not unusual for there to be disk activity when the system is idle.

--

>I don't have Go Back (i don't know what that is :p)
>
> About third party applications, i don think I have...
>
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> escreveu na mensagem
>> Do you have any third party applications monitoring your system, do you
>> have Go Back installed on your system; if no, what do you have installed
>> on your system?
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>
>> "Pedro Sendas Pereira" <sendas@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Thank you for your answer, but that didn't work :(
>>>
>>> I went to Adminnistrative Tools + Services and turned off Indexing
>>> Services...
>>>
>>> :(
>>>
>>> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> escreveu na mensagem

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

GoBack is a system recovery application. It has been both a stand alone app
and bundled with some editions of Norton System Works.

"Pedro Sendas Pereira" <sendas@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I don't have Go Back (i don't know what that is :p)
>
> About third party applications, i don think I have...
>
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> escreveu na mensagem
>> Do you have any third party applications monitoring your system, do you
>> have Go Back installed on your system; if no, what do you have installed
>> on your system?
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>
>> "Pedro Sendas Pereira" <sendas@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Thank you for your answer, but that didn't work :(
>>>
>>> I went to Adminnistrative Tools + Services and turned off Indexing
>>> Services...
>>>
>>> :(
>>>
>>> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> escreveu na mensagem

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Pedro Sendas Pereira" <sendas@gmail.com> wrote
| Thank you for your answer, but that didn't work :(
| I went to Adminnistrative Tools + Services and turned off Indexing
| Services...
|
| "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)"
| > Try this, right click the C drive in Windows Explorer, select Properties,
| > remove the check from "Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast
| > file searching," click apply and ok. It's likely that indexing, which
| > usually goes on while the drive is idle, is the source of the issue.
| > --
| > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
| > Windows Shell/User
| >
| > "Pedro Sendas Pereira" <sendas@gmail.com> wrote
| >> I have a portable computar, an Acer Travelmate 291LMi, with Windows
| >> XP-SP2
| >> When I'm working hard drive isn't working almost all the time (except of
| >> course when I save something)
| >> But if I leave my computer idle for some time (5 min or something) when I
| >> get to the computer I see that the hardrive is working all the time (I
| >> can hear and the light is blinking).
| >> When I star using it again, noise and hard disk activity stops!
| >> I don't know what is doing this and how to stop.

Is your hard drive being optimized (defragged) while the system is idle?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

no, i don't think so...

"a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> escreveu na mensagem

> "Pedro Sendas Pereira" <sendas@gmail.com> wrote
> | Thank you for your answer, but that didn't work :(
> | I went to Adminnistrative Tools + Services and turned off Indexing
> | Services...
> |
> | "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)"
> | > Try this, right click the C drive in Windows Explorer, select
> Properties,
> | > remove the check from "Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for
> fast
> | > file searching," click apply and ok. It's likely that indexing, which
> | > usually goes on while the drive is idle, is the source of the issue.
> | > --
> | > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> | > Windows Shell/User
> | >
> | > "Pedro Sendas Pereira" <sendas@gmail.com> wrote
> of
> when I
> (I
>

> Is your hard drive being optimized (defragged) while the system is idle?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

R-click the Drive Icon in My Computer, Select Properties, Uncheck "Allow
indexing............." Apply