Sign in with
Your question

PSU for X1900XT...

Last response: in Components
August 9, 2006 7:31:23 PM

(I've posted this on other boards too... so if you think you've seen it elsewhere, you probably did)

Alright, with the most recent price drop, it's gotten to the point where then X1900XT will probably be just in the range I can afford when the price drops filter down to retail.

However, there's one problem: I've been planning to get an Antec Sonata II. And while that case provides a pretty beefy PSU by bundled standards, it's not exactly beefy by X1900XT standards.

Based on my calculations it should still work (even in a worst case scenario with everything but the CPU on the second 12v rail, it still doesn't exceed 20 Amps, which is the most that dual rail PSUs can send through each rail, correct?), but I'm worried that there's not a lot of headroom in the thing.

Here's the spec I'll be running:
X2 4200+ (stock speeds)
2GB DDR2-667
2X250GB SATA drives
2 DVD drives, one burner, one not (my dad insists on this, he'll be using the system too)
Pinnacle analog capture board
X1900XT

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of extra cash to throw at a power supply upgrade. Would I be fine with the stock Sonata II PSU? Anyone got any other suggestions?

More about : psu x1900xt

August 9, 2006 7:44:24 PM

I think you'll be fine and if you're getting that case anyway, you won't be wasting money on a psu. Use it for now and upgrade it when you need to. Don't spend extra money right now if you are getting a perfectly good psu with your case.
August 10, 2006 6:38:44 PM

Quote:
I think you'll be fine and if you're getting that case anyway, you won't be wasting money on a psu. Use it for now and upgrade it when you need to. Don't spend extra money right now if you are getting a perfectly good psu with your case.

i'll 2nd it. the 450w Smartpower will be ample.
!