How do I remove a file that is protected by Windows?

October 13, 2004 6:37:14 PM

I made a mistake when I installed my bluetooth device, leading to having two
bluetooth configuration icons in the control panel.

Researching it shows I have a file 'bthprops.cpl' that I do not need in my
\windows\system32 directory. As it is protected by the Windows File
Protection facility, I can not delete it.

Can anyone advice on a reasonably save procedure to remove that file?

Thanks in advance,
Per
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 6:49:06 PM

There's no way to delete a file protected by the system once that file is
installed. You might try the following, Disconnect the device from the
system, then try using System Restore to take you back to a time before you
first installed the device, this may resolve the issue. Start\All
Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"Per Nyman" <Per Nyman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I made a mistake when I installed my bluetooth device, leading to having
>two
> bluetooth configuration icons in the control panel.
>
> Researching it shows I have a file 'bthprops.cpl' that I do not need in my
> \windows\system32 directory. As it is protected by the Windows File
> Protection facility, I can not delete it.
>
> Can anyone advice on a reasonably save procedure to remove that file?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Per
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 3:51:08 AM

Would there not be anything in add/remove software to uninstall the
Bluetooth applications, then reinstall to get back to just one icon ?

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message news:u8cVw5WsEHA.3884@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> There's no way to delete a file protected by the system once that file is
> installed. You might try the following, Disconnect the device from the
> system, then try using System Restore to take you back to a time before you
> first installed the device, this may resolve the issue. Start\All
> Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore.
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "Per Nyman" <Per Nyman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I made a mistake when I installed my bluetooth device, leading to having
> >two
> > bluetooth configuration icons in the control panel.
> >
> > Researching it shows I have a file 'bthprops.cpl' that I do not need in my
> > \windows\system32 directory. As it is protected by the Windows File
> > Protection facility, I can not delete it.
> >
> > Can anyone advice on a reasonably save procedure to remove that file?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Per

October 14, 2004 3:51:09 AM

If such an application were installed possibly. I have not run any
Bluetooth devices and I don't know if an application needs to be installed
or if it's simply a matter of the system auto-recognizing a device and
installing the appropriate driver as happens with many USB devices. Also,
assuming there was a corresponding application installation, if removed and
you should first disconnect the device, it may not necessarily remove all
such files. It may remove the application files but leave any new system
files in place.

--

"John Mc" <john@mccabe2001.(no_spam).freeserve.com> wrote in message
> Would there not be anything in add/remove software to uninstall the
> Bluetooth applications, then reinstall to get back to just one icon ?
>

> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
>> There's no way to delete a file protected by the system once that file is
>> installed. You might try the following, Disconnect the device from the
>> system, then try using System Restore to take you back to a time before
>> you
>> first installed the device, this may resolve the issue. Start\All
>> Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>
>> "Per Nyman" <Per Nyman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I made a mistake when I installed my bluetooth device, leading to having
>> >two
>> > bluetooth configuration icons in the control panel.
>> >
>> > Researching it shows I have a file 'bthprops.cpl' that I do not need in
>> > my
>> > \windows\system32 directory. As it is protected by the Windows File
>> > Protection facility, I can not delete it.
>> >
>> > Can anyone advice on a reasonably save procedure to remove that file?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance,
>> > Per

October 19, 2004 12:48:55 PM

| There's no way to delete a file protected by the system once
that file is
| installed. You might try the following, Disconnect the device
from the
| system, then try using System Restore to take you back to a
time before you
| first installed the device, this may resolve the issue.
Start\All
| Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore.
|
| --
| Michael Solomon MS-MVP
| Windows Shell/User
| Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
| DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

Michael, couldn't that be deleted by Restarting in CMD mode (aka
DOS mode) and using the DEL command? I think? Path might be a
pain to type, but ... it's worked for me in the past.

Pop

| "Per Nyman" <Per Nyman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
| >I made a mistake when I installed my bluetooth device, leading
to having
| >two
| > bluetooth configuration icons in the control panel.
| >
| > Researching it shows I have a file 'bthprops.cpl' that I do
not need in my
| > \windows\system32 directory. As it is protected by the
Windows File
| > Protection facility, I can not delete it.
| >
| > Can anyone advice on a reasonably save procedure to remove
that file?

| > Thanks in advance,
| > Per

Anonymous
October 19, 2004 2:48:24 PM

Pop, I guess I should clarify. The file can be deleted, however, SFP,
System File Protection, will replace the file on next boot. Hence, deleting
the file is useless. I don't think the fact of the device not being
connected would make a difference either as the system would still see the
file as being protected and replace it.

--

!