How do I remove a file that is protected by Windows?

I made a mistake when I installed my bluetooth device, leading to having two
bluetooth configuration icons in the control panel.

Researching it shows I have a file 'bthprops.cpl' that I do not need in my
\windows\system32 directory. As it is protected by the Windows File
Protection facility, I can not delete it.

Can anyone advice on a reasonably save procedure to remove that file?

Thanks in advance,
Per
5 answers Last reply
More about remove file protected windows

    There's no way to delete a file protected by the system once that file is
    installed. You might try the following, Disconnect the device from the
    system, then try using System Restore to take you back to a time before you
    first installed the device, this may resolve the issue. Start\All
    Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Per Nyman" <Per Nyman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I made a mistake when I installed my bluetooth device, leading to having
    >two
    > bluetooth configuration icons in the control panel.
    >
    > Researching it shows I have a file 'bthprops.cpl' that I do not need in my
    > \windows\system32 directory. As it is protected by the Windows File
    > Protection facility, I can not delete it.
    >
    > Can anyone advice on a reasonably save procedure to remove that file?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Per

    Would there not be anything in add/remove software to uninstall the
    Bluetooth applications, then reinstall to get back to just one icon ?

    "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message news:u8cVw5WsEHA.3884@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > There's no way to delete a file protected by the system once that file is
    > installed. You might try the following, Disconnect the device from the
    > system, then try using System Restore to take you back to a time before you
    > first installed the device, this may resolve the issue. Start\All
    > Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > "Per Nyman" <Per Nyman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I made a mistake when I installed my bluetooth device, leading to having
    > >two
    > > bluetooth configuration icons in the control panel.
    > >
    > > Researching it shows I have a file 'bthprops.cpl' that I do not need in my
    > > \windows\system32 directory. As it is protected by the Windows File
    > > Protection facility, I can not delete it.
    > >
    > > Can anyone advice on a reasonably save procedure to remove that file?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance,
    > > Per

    If such an application were installed possibly. I have not run any
    Bluetooth devices and I don't know if an application needs to be installed
    or if it's simply a matter of the system auto-recognizing a device and
    installing the appropriate driver as happens with many USB devices. Also,
    assuming there was a corresponding application installation, if removed and
    you should first disconnect the device, it may not necessarily remove all
    such files. It may remove the application files but leave any new system
    files in place.

    --

    "John Mc" <john@mccabe2001.(no_spam).freeserve.com> wrote in message
    > Would there not be anything in add/remove software to uninstall the
    > Bluetooth applications, then reinstall to get back to just one icon ?
    >

    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    >> There's no way to delete a file protected by the system once that file is
    >> installed. You might try the following, Disconnect the device from the
    >> system, then try using System Restore to take you back to a time before
    >> you
    >> first installed the device, this may resolve the issue. Start\All
    >> Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "Per Nyman" <Per Nyman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I made a mistake when I installed my bluetooth device, leading to having
    >> >two
    >> > bluetooth configuration icons in the control panel.
    >> >
    >> > Researching it shows I have a file 'bthprops.cpl' that I do not need in
    >> > my
    >> > \windows\system32 directory. As it is protected by the Windows File
    >> > Protection facility, I can not delete it.
    >> >
    >> > Can anyone advice on a reasonably save procedure to remove that file?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks in advance,
    >> > Per

    | There's no way to delete a file protected by the system once
    that file is
    | installed. You might try the following, Disconnect the device
    from the
    | system, then try using System Restore to take you back to a
    time before you
    | first installed the device, this may resolve the issue.
    Start\All
    | Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore.
    |
    | --
    | Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    | Windows Shell/User
    | Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    | DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

    Michael, couldn't that be deleted by Restarting in CMD mode (aka
    DOS mode) and using the DEL command? I think? Path might be a
    pain to type, but ... it's worked for me in the past.

    Pop

    | "Per Nyman" <Per Nyman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    | >I made a mistake when I installed my bluetooth device, leading
    to having
    | >two
    | > bluetooth configuration icons in the control panel.
    | >
    | > Researching it shows I have a file 'bthprops.cpl' that I do
    not need in my
    | > \windows\system32 directory. As it is protected by the
    Windows File
    | > Protection facility, I can not delete it.
    | >
    | > Can anyone advice on a reasonably save procedure to remove
    that file?

    | > Thanks in advance,
    | > Per

    Pop, I guess I should clarify. The file can be deleted, however, SFP,
    System File Protection, will replace the file on next boot. Hence, deleting
    the file is useless. I don't think the fact of the device not being
    connected would make a difference either as the system would still see the
    file as being protected and replace it.

    --

    "Pop" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message

    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    > | There's no way to delete a file protected by the system once
    > that file is
    > | installed. You might try the following, Disconnect the device
    > from the
    > | system, then try using System Restore to take you back to a
    > time before you
    > | first installed the device, this may resolve the issue.
    > Start\All
    > | Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore.
    > |
    > | --
    > | Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > | Windows Shell/User
    > | Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > | DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > Michael, couldn't that be deleted by Restarting in CMD mode (aka
    > DOS mode) and using the DEL command? I think? Path might be a
    > pain to type, but ... it's worked for me in the past.
    >
    > Pop
    >

    > | "Per Nyman" <Per Nyman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message
    > | >I made a mistake when I installed my bluetooth device, leading
    > to having
    > | >two
    > | > bluetooth configuration icons in the control panel.
    > | >
    > | > Researching it shows I have a file 'bthprops.cpl' that I do
    > not need in my
    > | > \windows\system32 directory. As it is protected by the
    > Windows File
    > | > Protection facility, I can not delete it.
    > | >
    > | > Can anyone advice on a reasonably save procedure to remove
    > that file?
    > | >
    > | > Thanks in advance,
    > | > Per

Bluetooth Windows XP