what do you think would be better?

pojomofo

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
I am going to do a major overhaul when Vista/DX10 arrive, but until then I have about $150 to throw at a small upgrade. I am thinking of 1 of 2 things:

1. snatch up one of those X800XL's from ATI for $119

or

2. getting a cheap s939 nForce 3 mobo (newegg has a EPoX one for $55) and a 3500+ for about $150

Which do you think would make a bigger impact on gaming?

I am leaning toward the cpou/mobo, but wanted some input first. Thanks

Gary_Busey

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
I don't know that the X800XL would be a big enough performance improvement over a 6800 to justify spending $120. And if you got a new processor, you'd still be somewhat limited by your 6800 in gaming.

gearoi

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Agreed - I've been thinking about this sort of thing myself - see the post Decisions, Decisions (etc) recently.

Your system is probably fine for running even new games - admittedly on mid-lower settings. That's not so bad for now.

You have a 6600 - you're not going to get much better than that in AGP. If you only have a few $$ to spend, I'd save it for when you can get more improvement for your money, and when you have more money too ;)

Your processor is probably not a bottlenect much of the time anyhow, so I can't see why you would upgrade that.

If you can get a new mobo that allows you to buy a new gfx card on PCI-E, you might be able to buy that next, but your cpu is getting old - I suggest you just wait and do everything altogether - get a new paper round and save faster ;)

Good luck with that!

PS - my post was in the build your own section - not here in gfx cards.