Any hardware requirements for writing PnP driver?

Hi All,
I have designed a board with Atmel chip which provides an I/O
interfaces for parallel port.
I want to upgrade its driver to make it plug and play , I want to start
my win32 application automatically when ever my board is attached with
DB25 [port of PC].
The question is do i have to upgrade my hardware too for writing a PnP
driver? I mean it is working fine with NT Driver [Non PnP].
1) Do i have to upgrade my hardware in sense of interrupt generation
because i'm not sure how kernel will discover that now PowerCell [my
device] is connected to DB-25 port instead of ordinary printer? and its
time to load my WDM driver and vice versa when removed.
2) I want to know how PC parallel port [DB-25] is connected internally
, Is it connected to ISA or PCI bus? Actually I have designed a small
device with Atmel chip and now I want to write its plug and play driver
for windows but this question is halting my coding phase.
My education web page: http://powercell.cjb.net/
I appreciate your time!
Cheers.
10 answers Last reply
More about hardware requirements writing driver

    Addition to CJT post:
    So you mean that harware should generate certain interrupt when ever
    connected to PC so that PnP driver recognize's it with that interrupt
    and start win32 application.Am i right?
    Addition to Colon post:
    Yeah Colon you are right in these days parallel port is becoming
    obslete and i think i would also upgrade it to USB in near future.

    But a part of my question is still there, Is parallel port connected to
    ISA or PCI bus?

    Thanks

    Ali wrote:
    > Hi All,
    > I have designed a board with Atmel chip which provides an I/O
    > interfaces for parallel port.
    > I want to upgrade its driver to make it plug and play , I want to start
    > my win32 application automatically when ever my board is attached with
    > DB25 [port of PC].
    > The question is do i have to upgrade my hardware too for writing a PnP
    > driver? I mean it is working fine with NT Driver [Non PnP].
    > 1) Do i have to upgrade my hardware in sense of interrupt generation
    > because i'm not sure how kernel will discover that now PowerCell [my
    > device] is connected to DB-25 port instead of ordinary printer? and its
    > time to load my WDM driver and vice versa when removed.
    > 2) I want to know how PC parallel port [DB-25] is connected internally
    > , Is it connected to ISA or PCI bus? Actually I have designed a small
    > device with Atmel chip and now I want to write its plug and play driver
    > for windows but this question is halting my coding phase.
    > My education web page: http://powercell.cjb.net/
    > I appreciate your time!
    > Cheers.

    Yes, the hardware needs firmware to identify it. Look at the bios on
    a RAID card (or other card of your choice) for an example.

    "Ali" <abdulrazaq@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    > I have designed a board with Atmel chip which provides an I/O
    > interfaces for parallel port.
    > I want to upgrade its driver to make it plug and play , I want to start
    > my win32 application automatically when ever my board is attached with
    > DB25 [port of PC].
    > The question is do i have to upgrade my hardware too for writing a PnP
    > driver? I mean it is working fine with NT Driver [Non PnP].
    > 1) Do i have to upgrade my hardware in sense of interrupt generation
    > because i'm not sure how kernel will discover that now PowerCell [my
    > device] is connected to DB-25 port instead of ordinary printer? and its
    > time to load my WDM driver and vice versa when removed.
    > 2) I want to know how PC parallel port [DB-25] is connected internally
    > , Is it connected to ISA or PCI bus? Actually I have designed a small
    > device with Atmel chip and now I want to write its plug and play driver
    > for windows but this question is halting my coding phase.
    > My education web page: http://powercell.cjb.net/
    > I appreciate your time!
    > Cheers.

    You need to reengineer your device. Most PCs manufactured in the last cuppla
    years do not even have Parallel ports on board. You need to design towards
    USB. Your device is a guaranteed failure if you insist on using the legacy
    Parallel interface.

    > Addition to CJT post:
    > So you mean that harware should generate certain interrupt when ever
    > connected to PC so that PnP driver recognize's it with that interrupt
    > and start win32 application.Am i right?
    > Addition to Colon post:
    > Yeah Colon you are right in these days parallel port is becoming
    > obslete and i think i would also upgrade it to USB in near future.
    >
    > But a part of my question is still there, Is parallel port connected to
    > ISA or PCI bus?
    >
    > Thanks

    I can't remember, but there are many hardware books available currently that
    explain the relationship...

    I seem to recall that the parallel and serial ports were wired to the main
    bus and not the pci or isa bus...but I don't have my trusty hardware book
    handy right now...if I remember I'll look it up tomorrow...

    Hi Marky,
    >I seem to recall that the parallel and serial ports were wired to the main
    bus and not the pci or isa bus...but I don't have my trusty hardware
    book
    >handy right now...if I remember I'll look it up tomorrow...
    Yes this is what i want to know, sorry i was away to my
    contry side in last few days. I'll appreciate if you can do this for me
    .. There isn't any clue in system BIOS for knowing the parallel port
    connected bus.
    I think parallel port connected to main bus was design of very early
    days.

    -ali

    Marky are you around?

    You can see Tim post on following link for more understanding.
    [http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.development.device.drivers/browse_frm/thread/50869515be02a63f/9fe6f1d60ae47fa4#9fe6f1d60ae47fa4]

    And you can see following thread too for Device Driver issue.

    > Marky are you around?

    Howdy Ali,

    Sorry, I have been away from here and did not locate my hardware book...it's
    at work and I'll check this out in the next day or so...

    Have you tried the system board manufacturer by any chance? Usually they
    give schematics of the boards and/or some idea of how the port is connected
    or their support team, if available, might know. If you use a PCI parrallel
    port card then it is definitely using the PCI bus (or ISA on some
    systems)...

    I'll mark the thread as unread to remind myself...what type of MoBo is it?

    Hi mArKy,

    >Have you tried the system board manufacturer by any chance?
    Yeah I've spent time will looking aroung my BIOS but didn't got any
    clue there, to me it seems that it is connected to ISA bus and in
    systems if ISA bus isn't present then PCI bus take cares of it. One
    thing I have come to believe is that it is never connected to main bus
    directly;-) Though in early days it was connected through the bunch of
    TTLs to MainBus.

    Mary do I need to take care of handshacking in plug and play driver?
    I'm so confused about it! how windows will know? that PowerCell
    Device [http://powercell.cjb.net/] is connected to PC port instead of
    any ordinary printer and it is time to kick my Mr. Driver out in
    action.

    Think about at zero time.
    T0 = When Device is not connected
    T1 = Device is plugged in.
    T2 = Do I have to write a common protocol for device reorganization?
    like Device generate unique interrupt or Driver start probing the
    parallel port to recognize it.
    How you will like it?

    Please mark this thread unreadable to unless you post reply.l0l

    Cheers,
    -ali

    OK <slaps forehead>

    The port is connected to the I/O bus that all other devices plug
    into...depending on your system MoBo it will work at the clock speed
    indicated on the board...

    Not that that should matter...you are trying to do something that I'm not
    really familiar with (hardware driver coding) so I can't say that I can help
    you with this much...

    However, having said that, if the device can be detected you can tell it to
    look for the driver on the system (wherever you put it or tell it to
    install) and I would imagine that there must be files placed in various
    locations so that the system will know what it is and where to look for the
    device driver...like the system32 folder for one...

Printers Hardware Plug And Play Peripherals