Any Good Cases for gaming

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Can anyone recommend a good mid range tower for a gaming system. I plan to build a conroe system.

Is it wise to get a case without power and buy a good one or get a case with power (and maybe replace it)

Siba

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Midrange, I'd say Thermaltake. Slightly more expensive is Lian-Li, but you get what you pay for, they make the best cases evAr.

Seconded. Save up for a Lian Li, you'd have to try to regret it.

iceblast

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
No, it's a pretty good size tower. Most gamers are going to replace the PSU anyway. It has 3 case fans with space for more. I have used this tower for many of my customers. Tower is great, for a low price, plus they throw in the keyboard, mouse, and speakers for free, and they aren't to bad either for free.

chewbenator

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811166030

I got this case, the "core fan" helps keep air moving inside. With the fans it comes with I can hardly hear it when the case it closed. I would say it lives up to the Silent Storm name. I could only hear the Zalman VGA fan and additional 120mm fan I added in front , when unplugged there was very little noise. But, just because it is quiet doesn't mean good cooling, I haven't had a chance to see what it cools like because my motherboard is still in the RMA process, I'll let people know tommarrow night.

Only negative I could think of is the front door on this case. It doesn't fully open, so if you tried to open it to the full expanse it seems like it could break off. It is made of plastic, but still seems pretty sturdy.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
LOL i was checking out the case with the super huge fan that looks like a planes turbine. looks very cool. On the down side it doesnt have a power supply. I was at microcenter today and i saw the Performance One P150 ATX case with 430W Neo HE Power Supply, it was highly recomended there. Its made by antec and alluminum proced at $159.00. the sales guy also showed me a heatsink fan for the processor that was huge, had heat pipes and something i cant explain lol. it was heavy.

1) Should I get the case with those super huge fans (look like turbines)
2) antec case I mentioned
3) Case all of you mentioned?

Any final recomendations??? Thank you all[/list]

Assman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005
LOL i was checking out the case with the super huge fan that looks like a planes turbine. looks very cool. On the down side it doesnt have a power supply. I was at microcenter today and i saw the Performance One P150 ATX case with 430W Neo HE Power Supply, it was highly recomended there. Its made by antec and alluminum proced at $159.00. the sales guy also showed me a heatsink fan for the processor that was huge, had heat pipes and something i cant explain lol. it was heavy.

1) Should I get the case with those super huge fans (look like turbines)
2) antec case I mentioned
3) Case all of you mentioned?

Any final recomendations??? Thank you all[/list]

Go with TT armor and don't listen to sales people down at microcenter, compusa, bestbuy etc etc, they don't know what the f*ck they are talking about.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Yeah, the P180 is nice, only problem is that it's heavy and doesn't have a window. And the thick steel is pretty hard to cut if you don't have really good tools.

I have a Lian Li PC-60 plus II in black - perfect case. Room for four opticals, two floppies, 5 hard drives, and 4 case fans (2 x 120, 2 x 80) at the same time. Very sturdy, even though it's made of very light aluminum. Even though it was my first build, it went together pretty easily. Other nifty features are a removable motherboard tray, and it's actually magnetized! Not powerful enough to ruin something, but it's handy as hell if you drop a screw into the case. My only complaint would be that it only included enough hard drive screws to mount two hard drives - and I had three.

My friend has a Coolermaster Centurion 5 - and he says it's great. I got to help him build it, and from what I saw the build quality is comparable to Lian Li cases for about a quarter of the price. I could have gotten it, but I wanted a Lian Li.

I only wish the Lian Li case had tooless drive bays like the Coolermaster, but it's a small complaint when the case is as functional and quiet as it is.

link75

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Can anyone recommend a good mid range tower for a gaming system. I plan to build a conroe system.

Is it wise to get a case without power and buy a good one or get a case with power (and maybe replace it)

Note many cases come with reliable power supplies inside so you are killing 2 birds with one stone and cutting costs.

Antec namely is one make that you can count on its PSUs inside the cases.

(a 450w Antec PSU is better than any rubbish name 550w PSU)

Also, chose one with a 120 mm fan (minimum) as exhast and possible a CPU "blowholed" case , that ensures the CPU fan sucks in clean fresh air and not reuse the secondhand air in the case.

Look at Antecs products many of em have these options too.

Needless to say, Antec it is :tup:

ChoadNamath

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
I know a lot of people like to fellate Antec, but I'm not a big fan. I bought the BQE3700 two years ago and it came with an Antec 350W PSU. The case didn't have great cooling, and the PSU literally blew up in less than a year. When that happened I bought a POS $30 420W PSU on Newegg that hasn't given me any problems since.

I just bought a Cooler Master Mystique 631 for my latest build, it's nice-looking, light, and pretty easy to work with. There's even a version with a window for the bling crowd.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Right. I did take a serious look at the case while I was planning my build, then decided I wanted something lighter and easier to illuminate while at college.

And I wanted black. The P180 didn't come in black when I switched to Lian Li as my preferred casemaker.