Motherboard help please

cholden

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

ScottyHutch

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
If you don't plan on using SLI, then go with the non-SLI board. Also, what OS are you using? I believe windows XP will only recognise 3GB RAM, so 16GB seems excessive.

nikolokolus

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Unless you are on a strict budget, or are building a small form factor PC, I personally believe microATX mobos blow goats.

They severely restrict your ability to add components, they are usually stripped down versions of their bigger brothers (in terms of connections and also BIOS options sometimes)

Will the mATX board be trash? Probably not, in fact it could turn out to be a great board (Epox was one of my first mobo brands, back in the K-6 days).

I guess I'm just thinking that if you plan to keep this motherboard as the foundation of your future upgrades for the next couple of years go with the full ATX board, if this just something to get you through for the next 6 months to a year then by all means get the mATX board.

cholden

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I will be using XP but in a year probably Vista.. which will support more ram.

I am seriously considering Linux but I am not comfortable with the game support yet. :)

The main reason is the 2 PATA slots, since I have 2 hard drives that are under a year old and a DVD burner.

Thanks for the suggestions an the mATX.

-CHris

cholden

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Thanks.. what do you guys think about just getting an nforce4 board or should I really spring for the nforce 570?