pondering the idea: temporary processor

So i was thinking:

1) Wait for core 2 e6600 to be reasonably available (could be next week or next year)
2) Buy a celeron D for 47 bucks as a temp cpu and wait 3-6 months (maybe even save up the money to buy a faster processor than what you wanted)
3) buy a pentium D 805 for a 100 bucks as a temp cpu and wait 3-6 months (maybe even save up the money to buy a faster processor than what you wanted)

I already have 2 gigs of ram sitting here of ddr2 that i bought. I bought it as it had a 30 dollar mail in rebate. got it for 151 after rebate.

curious what the toms hardware forum thinks about the idea of buying a temporary processor until the one you want to buy is readily available and not so over priced. Might even give it time to mature the BIOS and hardware.

alpine_sc

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
Unless you don't have a computer right now, I would just wait. In 3-6 months you will have many more motherboard options and the bugs will be mostly ironed out (though that isn't much of a problem). Plus, the boards will be less expensive.

Itanium_Fanboi

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
Yes, I do agree with the others. If you would buy a temporary processor and then have it replaced in 3 - 6 months, what will you do with the old one. You can sell it but probably make less money out of it since its value would have depreciated even greater.

Use your money to buy something that you won't need to replace right now. (I.E speakers, DDR2 memory, a good gaming keyboard and mouse or even an LCD panel). Your investment will surely pay off in the coming months. :)

i already have all of that. although the speakers are like 8 years old but they work.

Curious what other people thought. Was just tempted so i can use my memory i have sitting here heh.

Yes, I do agree with the others. If you would buy a temporary processor and then have it replaced in 3 - 6 months, what will you do with the old one. You can sell it but probably make less money out of it since its value would have depreciated even greater.

Use your money to buy something that you won't need to replace right now. (I.E speakers, DDR2 memory, a good gaming keyboard and mouse or even an LCD panel). Your investment will surely pay off in the coming months. :)

So i was thinking:

1) Wait for core 2 e6600 to be reasonably available (could be next week or next year)
2) Buy a celeron D for 47 bucks as a temp cpu and wait 3-6 months (maybe even save up the money to buy a faster processor than what you wanted)
3) buy a pentium D 805 for a 100 bucks as a temp cpu and wait 3-6 months (maybe even save up the money to buy a faster processor than what you wanted)

I already have 2 gigs of ram sitting here of ddr2 that i bought. I bought it as it had a 30 dollar mail in rebate. got it for 151 after rebate.

curious what the toms hardware forum thinks about the idea of buying a temporary processor until the one you want to buy is readily available and not so over priced. Might even give it time to mature the BIOS and hardware.

Great idea. Due to price cuts you can actually get a Celeron D processor in specially marked boxes of Cheerios.

Well, not that cheap, but $47 for a 2.53 ghz cele, not too bad! And if my understanding is correct you could get a Core 2 Duo compatible motherboard to use it with.

thats the idea! then later down the road when i got more money saved up buy a core 2 duo. By then maybe the processor will be available.

see i gotta buy a motherboard, RAM, video card (what i have is agp) AND processor. pretty expensive if you add all that up.

So i was thinking:

Great idea. Due to price cuts you can actually get a Celeron D processor in specially marked boxes of Cheerios.

Well, not that cheap, but $47 for a 2.53 ghz cele, not too bad! And if my understanding is correct you could get a Core 2 Duo compatible motherboard to use it with.

blackstone

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I did exactly that. I grabbed a Celeron D 2.5 Ghz chip so I could get my new mobo, ram, and videocard running. Great results with Half-Life2: Episode One and games from that generation. Not so great with Battlefield 2 but still very good. Oblivion isn't really playable.

My E6600 coming tomorrow so now I'm going to need to sell the Celeron D.

i've been collecting processors so i'd just add it to my collection.

I did exactly that. I grabbed a Celeron D 2.5 Ghz chip so I could get my new mobo, ram, and videocard running. Great results with Half-Life2: Episode One and games from that generation. Not so great with Battlefield 2 but still very good. Oblivion isn't really playable.

My E6600 coming tomorrow so now I'm going to need to sell the Celeron D.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

I think the temporary Celly D is a good idea. Then when he can afford a C2D, he can keep the Celeron as a spare(should a tragedy occur). It's only a $47 CPU, so keeping it around isn't exactly tying up money. :wink:

haha!

see how next week looks and if the core2 is still insanely over priced and actually in stock.

I think the temporary Celly D is a good idea. Then when he can afford a C2D, he can keep the Celeron as a spare(should a tragedy occur). It's only a $47 CPU, so keeping it around isn't exactly tying up money. :wink:

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
if you can swing a bit more cash on a temporary cpu, it may not hurt to get a Celeron D 352/356. They are the 65nm CPUs with 512KB L2 cache and the new c1 stepping 65 watt TDPs, and have been shown to overclock to 5 GHz on stock voltage, even stock HSF, where at that point they are comparable to a 3 GHz opteron 144. 8O Although for the money, the Celeron D 326 is a good little chip that should clock up to 3.8GHz/200 fsb pretty easy.

EDIT: nevermind about the 352/356 - they're still too expensive to justify the purchase.