Sign in with
Your question

Utra X-connect power supplies

Last response: in Components
August 10, 2006 2:02:43 AM

Anyone know if the Ultra X-connect power supplies are any good? Was thinking if they were might try them in an antec p180 case. heres a link to one
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...
August 10, 2006 5:31:33 AM

no, i don't really like them, don't have a good rep.

I'm also leary of anything that has to be sold with something for free to get it off the shelves.
August 10, 2006 6:25:13 PM

Quote:
no, i don't really like them, don't have a good rep.

I'm also leary of anything that has to be sold with something for free to get it off the shelves.

as waylander said, ultra PSU's dont have a good rep.
Related resources
August 10, 2006 6:44:55 PM

Look i've been using ultra's x-connect since they came out and I just upgraded to the X-2. They are a great power supply and offer very stable and reliable voltages but if your gonna get one get the X-2 it looks sick as hell and the cables are not big and bulky like the orginal x-connect. But if you don't believe me go to ultras website ( ultraproducts.com ) and read the reviews on the power supplies.
August 10, 2006 6:56:17 PM

When it comes to the PSU I dont take any chances. Its like putting regular gas into your new BMW that requires premium... the engine cuts out and you may hurt some components, and after that you will have wish you paid the extra 5 bucks for premium. Hence for my PSU's I always buy the most trusted names (such as Antec or Enermax)... if it doesnt fit the buget, just get less wattage (like moving from a TP2 550w to a TP2 480w assuming your computer can still run on it). So in short, dont chance your computer with an X-Connect... get a good Antec or Enermax! /endrant
August 10, 2006 9:40:43 PM

I'm not sure what you are running on your computer but if you think I'm going to trust my computer ($ 3,000 CDN brand new) with a psu like Ultra you're out of your mind.

If I had a $600 computer then maybe but not likely. You can still get good psus (antec, fortron) for under $80.
August 10, 2006 10:23:59 PM

Ultra is a nice power supply i've been using the new x-2 for about half a year now i have a $1500 intel based gaming rig (price is a rough estamate). I have never suffered a crash or a blue screen of death. I put heavy loads on my computer everyday games like fear ,oblivion ,WOW and tomb raider. And if those games don't put a heavy load on a computer i don't know what does. I can also run Prime95 for about a day before running into an error and that program depends hevaliy on power stablility.
August 11, 2006 2:32:41 AM

Hey, even the Cavalier runs pretty well for the first couple of years...
August 12, 2006 3:38:20 AM

Everyone is mostly right. Ultra is not a great brand, but the X-2 Connect is their top-of-the-line PS. A good rule of thumb is to divide the price of an Ultra by 2 or 2.5 when comparing to something like an Antec. That puts the X-2 Connect at roughly a $50 Antec, which is probably about right. Note that even though it is the top Ultra, it only supplies 17A and 18A through its two +12V rails. If you get a bargain on it, it should be fine for a mid-range system.
The el cheapo Ultra V-series would compare to a $15-20 Antec, if there were one that cheap!
August 12, 2006 4:42:28 AM

Quote:
But if you don't believe me go to ultras website ( ultraproducts.com ) and read the reviews on the power supplies.

Take a step back and think about this... If you were top management at Ultra and found out that your people had put a bad review on your web site, what would you do? Would you say: "Oh well, my people probably want to present all possible opinions!" No, you'd fire the idiot responsible and make sure his/her replacement knew why there was an opening.

I'd rather read reviews on tech sites like Tom's, Anandtech, Jonnyguru, etc.
August 12, 2006 5:18:34 AM

Quote:
When it comes to the PSU I dont take any chances. Its like putting regular gas into your new BMW that requires premium... the engine cuts out and you may hurt some components, and after that you will have wish you paid the extra 5 bucks for premium. Hence for my PSU's I always buy the most trusted names (such as Antec or Enermax)... if it doesnt fit the buget, just get less wattage (like moving from a TP2 550w to a TP2 480w assuming your computer can still run on it). So in short, dont chance your computer with an X-Connect... get a good Antec or Enermax! /endrant

Point made Lamy, but probably not the best example. :wink: Putting regular gas in a BMW won't hurt anything at all. You'll lose some horsepower because the ECU will retard ignition to prevent detonation (regular gas = lower octane = more likely to pre-ignite/"knock"), but that's it...maybe a small fuel economy hit, too. It'll run like it does normally, just with slightly less oomph...most people won't even notice the difference. Pretty much any modern car with electronically-controlled ignition will make this adjustment. Yay progress...try running a gasoline engine on diesel, and then you'll get problems.
August 12, 2006 5:19:13 AM

well ultra was know for its poor quality but i heard they are built by someone else now, regardless i actually have an 600w x-finity and am happy with it , its x2 12v rails (18A and 20A)is more stable under load then my antec neo550 .
as far as the ultra i have it in a pretty demanding system since april.
A 4+ghz d805 with an oc'd7900gtx, Wintv vcard,audigy2zs, 2 200gb hd's, 2dvd, 4fans and watercooling to boot and have done a bunch of benchmarking playing games no issues.
However all has not been well the intake fan burned out had to replace it.

this is some funny stuff...................."
Quote:
Everyone is mostly right. Ultra is not a great brand, but the X-2 Connect is their top-of-the-line PS. A good rule of thumb is to divide the price of an Ultra by 2 or 2.5 when comparing to something like an Antec. That puts the X-2 Connect at roughly a $50 Antec, which is probably about right. Note that even though it is the top Ultra, it only supplies 17A and 18A through its two +12V rails. If you get a bargain on it, it should be fine for a mid-range system.
The el cheapo Ultra V-series would compare to a $15-20 Antec, if there were one that cheap!
"

1.I would like to see how you came out with this forumla.
2. is it your forumla or are you just repeating someone elses garbage
3. Do you apply it to other aspects of your life?

"well BK is better then mcdonalds so if a big mac cost $4 then use my divide by two and could get the same quality food from BK for $2"

August 12, 2006 7:03:20 PM

Quote:
... A good rule of thumb is to divide the price of an Ultra by 2 or 2.5 when comparing to something like an Antec. ...
"
It's not a formula; as you can see in the quote, it's a "rule of thumb." (see here for the difference: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rule%20of%20thum... )
I came up with the rule of thumb based on my PS ownership experience; currently I'm running an Ultra X2-Connect, an Ultra V-series, an Antec Smartpower 2.0, a Thermaltake TR2 series, an older PC Power & Cooling, and three or four custom SFF PSs.
I've used the PSs, I've seen the fit & finish of the PSs, I've seen/felt the quality of the components used, and I've taken a look at their specs, including the all-important +12V output.
After evaluating the quality of the various PSs (with the emphasis on power rather than bling), I scanned their prices and noticed the rough correspondence formalized in the rule of thumb. HTH

Quote:

Well, I was going to apply it to your comments, but your obvious erudition and silky-tongued politeness convinced me to hold off a bit. :lol: 
August 12, 2006 10:51:29 PM

Quote:
... A good rule of thumb is to divide the price of an Ultra by 2 or 2.5 when comparing to something like an Antec. ...
"
It's not a formula; as you can see in the quote, it's a "rule of thumb." (see here for the difference: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rule%20of%20thum... )
I came up with the rule of thumb based on my PS ownership experience; currently I'm running an Ultra X2-Connect, an Ultra V-series, an Antec Smartpower 2.0, a Thermaltake TR2 series, an older PC Power & Cooling, and three or four custom SFF PSs.
I've used the PSs, I've seen the fit & finish of the PSs, I've seen/felt the quality of the components used, and I've taken a look at their specs, including the all-important +12V output.
After evaluating the quality of the various PSs (with the emphasis on power rather than bling), I scanned their prices and noticed the rough correspondence formalized in the rule of thumb. HTH

Quote:

Well, I was going to apply it to your comments, but your obvious erudition and silky-tongued politeness convinced me to hold off a bit. :lol: 

SO.................An antec PSu feels better then a ultra..hmm OK ill go with that

Have you opened up an antec or ultra? alot of the componets are the same.

6 entries found for formula.
for·mu·la Audio pronunciation of "formula" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fôrmy-l)
n. pl. for·mu·las or for·mu·lae (-l)

1. An established form of words or symbols for use in a ceremony or procedure.
2. An utterance of conventional notions or beliefs; a hackneyed expression.
2. A method of doing or treating something that relies on an established, uncontroversial model or approach: a new situation comedy that simply uses an old formula.
3. Chemistry.
1. A symbolic representation of the composition or of the composition and structure of a compound.
2. The compound so represented.
1. A prescription of ingredients in fixed proportion; a recipe.
2. A liquid food for infants, containing most of the nutrients in human milk.
5. Mathematics. A statement, especially an equation, of a fact, rule, principle, or other logical relation.
6. Formula Sports. A set of specifications, including engine displacement, fuel capacity, and weight, that determine a class of racing car.

#5 Mathematics. A statement, especially an equation, of a fact, rule, principle, or other logical relation.

Quote:
$$$ for antec = Ultra psu $$$ / 2
August 13, 2006 1:52:27 AM

Ic, you need to read my posts more closely, as you're missing important words and wrongly inferring conclusions not based on my post. I'll help out here, but after this, you're on your own.
Quote:
SO.................An antec PSu feels better then a ultra..hmm OK ill go with that

Your conclusion, not mine. I mentioned seeing and feeling (e.g. evaluating weight) *components* of PSs. I made no blanket conclusion that antecs are (or feel) better than ultras. In fact, as suggested in my post, I judge my Ultra 550w X2-Connect to be somewhat better than my Antec SP2.0 430w (see my rule of thumb).

Quote:

Yes. Yes, and so what? A lot of components of a Lexus are the same as those of a Mazda. A lot of components of an Antec and an Ultra are different. For that matter, a lot of components of different Ultras are different.

Quote:

(snipped out the irrelevant parts of a dictionary entry for "formula")

#5 Mathematics. A statement, especially an equation, of a fact, rule, principle, or other logical relation.

$$$ for antec = Ultra psu $$$ / 2

OK, this is probably the key misunderstanding.
1) You've highlighted "rule"; again, you've misread my post. I referred to "rule of thumb," not "rule". There is an important difference -- see the definition of r.o.t. (link in previous post)
2) You "quote" a formula. Unfortunately, since I never posted that, it's not actually a "quote" or quotation. Here is a link to the definition of "quote": http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/quote (definition 1 is most appropriate). My guess is that you meant "summary of Mondoman's rule of thumb" or something like that instead of "quote". That's better, but it misses the point of a rule of thumb: "A rough and useful principle or method, based on experience rather than precisely accurate measures. " (from the definition link in (1). A rule of thumb is not precise nor fixed like a rule or formula (rereading my original post, you'll note that I even mentioned two divisors {2 or 2.5} there.)

To rephrase, all I'm saying is that (IMHO) an Ultra PS is roughly equivalent in quality to an Antec PS that costs about 40-50% as much. The sale/rebate prices of Ultras seem to bear that out -- I paid around $55 for my Ultra X-2 Connect w/shiny finish and UV window bling.
August 13, 2006 4:17:54 AM

...I don't get what you guys are saying.. and argueing about :p 

Ultra isn't the WORST brand and it's not the BEST brand. BUT, from my past experience, FSP and Antec psus were the best.

If you were to Actually Use the PS you've picked, the chances are that they WILL likely work.

You are just unlucky if it doesn't because that psu is the top of the line psu for Ultra.
August 13, 2006 11:38:50 AM

Quote:
...I don't get what you guys are saying.. and argueing about :p 

Ultra isn't the WORST brand and it's not the BEST brand. BUT, from my past experience, FSP and Antec psus were the best.

If you were to Actually Use the PS you've picked, the chances are that they WILL likely work.

You are just unlucky if it doesn't because that psu is the top of the line psu for Ultra.

That's right, folks, it's once again time for your favorite Internet TV show: Clues From Clueless!

(audience roars applause)

And here's the star of our show: Clueless!

(mixture of applause and boos, a few pieces of assorted fruit impact stage near microphone)

"Hi there kids! (audience: "Hi Clueless!") Today we're gonna talk about ATX power supplies for the common household gaming PC! (mixture of weak applause and groans from the audience, more airborne partially rotted vegetables impact stage near mic) OK, kids, does anybody out there know about the three most important aspects of power supply quality? Just hold your hand up and my lovely assistant will bring a mic to you. OK, Vanna, let's try the pimply-faced kid over there in the Sublime t-shirt..."

"Uggh, hi Clueless, I think the most important quality for a power supply is how big the rebate is, cuz I've always been a masterrebater!"

(audience: mixture of laughter and groans, rotted fruit impacts Sublime t-shirted kid's forehead)

Clueless: "Well, no, I wan't looking for that particular quality so Vanna, pull off the panel and show us the first PS quality aspect."

(Vanna struts over and pulls off panel to reveal quality item number 1, which is: "Integrity of Design".)

Clueless: "That's right, kids, the first thing a savvy PS consumer would look at to evaluate PS quality is the design of the circuitry. Unfortunately, the majority of you out there are incapable of properly evaluating the circuit design, so you'll have to leave that apsect of PS quality to the experts like me that actually did our homework when we were in school! As a trivial example of a design mistake, look at the unit over here where the circuit designer for this 400 watt unit designed this power supply with 35 amps of plus 5 volt capacity but only 12 amps of plus 12V capacity. This unit simply cannot power a typical gaming rig even though the 400 watt rating might convince an unknowing idiot like the kid down here in the front row that's been picking his nose and eating it for the last 13 minutes!"

"Another thing you can walk away from here is that electrical components themselves have specifications and they can only work as well as they are designed to work if they are operated within their specs. Run that power transistor too close to the edge and its lifetime will be reduced. And get this: some capacitors are better than others and the good ones cost more than the junk! So if you're trying to build a cheap unit and put in junk capacitors, you can expect maybe 2 or 3 years of service life, tops, and then your PS will start to smell funny and soon it will go off like a Roman candle and cook your mobo into Oblvion!"

"So actually, I've crossed the line into the second aspect of PS quality and that is parts quality. And look at how design and parts quality are interleaved. A crap design will yield a crap unit even if it's made with good parts and a great design will yield a crap unit if it's made from junk parts."

(half of audinece - the half with ADD - has lapsed into a coma-like trance while half of the other half are involved in differing degrees of bitchfests or outright fistfights. The remaining quarter muster up a feeble applause)

"OK, kids can anyone out there tell me the third key aspect of power supply quality? Vanna, show the kids what they win if they get the answer right to tonights Cash In Question!"

(Vanna struts over and pulls away the sheet covering tonight's prize)

"That's right, kids, tonight's winner gets a brand spanking new PC Power and Cooling 510 watt power supply! This baby has 34 amps of plus 12 and forty, count'em fourty amps of plus 5!"

(ADD kids snap to attention and roar approval at the 34A of +12, many hands wave in the air)

"OK, let's bring that little punk up here on stage to answer tonight's Cash In Question, yes, you with the high water pants and the pencil protector in your pocket. Tell us your name, there high water."

"Hi Clueless, my name is Baron."

"Hi Baron, tell us what is the third important aspect of power supply quality."

"The only good power supplies are made by AMD."

"...Uggh, Baron, AMD makes CPUs, not power supplies."

"They do so!"

"Sorry, son, but AMD makes CPUs..."

"Do too make power suplies! I read it on the Enquirer! Besides, even if they didn't make them already, if they started to, they would be the best, because AMD is the best!"

"Security, would you take Baron and show him the back door please? Thank you. Anyone else wanna take a shot at tonight's Cash In Question? OK, you over there dressed in the leather and studs. What's your name, young man?"

"My friends call me Mr. Intel-a-gent, get it?"

"OK yea, I get it, you got an answer?"

"Yea, the most important thing about power supplies are user reviews. Like, I bought this top of the line Ultra and I've had it on my new Conore PC for almost 2 weeks now and it's just so cool, like I've been playing all my games on it with the eye candy maxed out and it's just so bitchin' with the LEDs flashin' and I got my headphones pegged and it's just so rad down in my basement dungeon and man, my Ultra is just the best power supply EVER!"

"So this is your first build?"

"Yea, man, and it is so rad, like I overclocked my CPU to like 3.4 gig and it's screamin' dude, just so rad!"

"You can go sit over there and Vanna, put the dunce cap on him, OK?"

"But dood, it's Ultra's BEST power supply and their best one has to be real good, right?"

"Wrong. Even jacking the price up on a Quarter Pounder would not turn it into a culinary delight and although Ultra looks to be slightly improving their units lately, they still do not deserve your money for a quality build in my opinion. Kids, we're running out of time so I'll tell you that the third important aspect of power supply quality is build quality. Even a great design with excellent parts will yield a junk PS if the solder joints are lousy or if some frustrated dweeb in the factory wires the unit up all wrong. So there you have it: design, parts quality and build quality, the three cornerstones of power supply quality. Tune in next week when we break down these aspects in more detail and watch Vanna discharge a large capacitor across her well tanned butt cheeks!"
August 13, 2006 12:44:40 PM

Quote:
Here are some reviews, from some reputable sites, on the Ultra X-connect. To my surprise, this particular model of the Ultra line actually performed well.

http://www.pro-clockers.com/article.php?id=99
http://techgage.com/article/ultra_products_x2_550w_psu
http://www.bigbruin.com/reviews05/review.php?item=xconn...

Yea, I thought jonnyguru had a decent review of it but I couldn't find it with a quick scan of his site. He's rearranged stuff lately, deleted many pages, etc., unfortunately. I can no longer find his ratings system by manufacturer and although he was soundly down on Ultra in general, he gave the X-connect a fairly decent review. Maybe a leopard can change its spots, but there are enough PS builders that make excellent units at fair prices, I just don't want to take the risk. As you know, when a hard drive dies, it doesn't typically burn up the CPU. When is the last time that your RAM cooked your GPU or vice versa? I've had power supplies kill all of those components and have thus learned to take it more seriously.
August 13, 2006 12:52:43 PM

I would have to tend to agree with you for the most part on this. I've invested enough money into my rig to say that I'm VERY careful about all the components - especially the PSU. ULTRA may produce a solid line of PSUs NOW but, they have a heavy rep to live down and I've had more than my share of expensive computer parts go bad so as to be very selective. At this juncture, I just couldn't trust top of the line components with something that "may" or "may not" be a solid PSU. After all, the ONLY way you are going to know that you've made a wrong decision about a PSU, 9 times out of 10, is when it's too late. I know the sites that reviewed the Ultra 550 are reputable but I don't mind paying a few extra $$$ for peace of mind. I like my Silverstone just fine.
August 13, 2006 7:54:04 PM

Quote:

Yes. Yes, and so what? A lot of components of a Lexus are the same as those of a Mazda. A lot of components of an Antec and an Ultra are different. For that matter, a lot of components of different Ultras are different.

well just to correct you lexus and mazda dont have any of the same parts, its toyota and lexus an also soon to be scion.

Second Mondoman your rule of thumb is a forumla, you can call it whatever you want though

now back on topic

I have'nt had much luck with ulta psu's. its not like they fail its more like a fan fails or something inside burns , I smell it but the psu keeps working.
I had worse luck with thermaltake i finally wemt with FSP , so far so good
August 14, 2006 12:02:21 AM

Good (and amusing!) overview, Clue69Less!

Quote:
well just to correct you lexus and mazda dont have any of the same parts, its toyota and lexus an also soon to be scion.

Although this thread is definitely going out with a whimper, I don't want to leave incorrect info hanging. Even companies not part of the same "ownership group" do use some of the same parts. Sometimes whole subassemblies -- my Subaru uses a Nissan power window door switch unit. Then, there are all the obvious things, like standard wiring connectors, relays/fuses, tires, windshield wipers. If you look at the Japanese auto parts supplier network, major suppliers (like Denso) supply to more than one car sompany.
August 14, 2006 12:31:03 AM

I've been out of the loop on PC stuff for a while, but one thing I notice about the Ultra you mentioned, one a buch of amps on the +5v to get the watt rating up. How many +5v things are you powering in your PC?

I notice that 550 watt Ultra only has 2 +12v rails, for a total of 35 amps on the +12v rail. Take a Antec (like this one) in the same price range, similar features, and you get a PSU with power with 3 +12v rails with a total of 54 amps.

I could make a 1000 watt PSU, 200 amps on the +5v rail, and its still a useless PSU with a supposedly large power output.

Just seems like I see cheaper manufacturers inflating their numbers by adding in extra amperage on rails that don't help you any.

I'm with the poster above, FSP makes the best PSU around.
August 14, 2006 12:46:27 AM

up until a week ago i would have said ultra x-connect supplies rock the casba.

not anymore...

granted this one lasted a year and a half, but when it died it died hard, and now my mobo may have a problem related to it's death, it no longer keeps it's BIOS info even tho the battery appears to be fine, i wonder if it fried something when it died...

thank god i had another power supply lying around from another computer build i was doing at the time.
August 14, 2006 2:31:06 AM

Quote:
up until a week ago i would have said ultra x-connect supplies rock the casba.

not anymore...

granted this one lasted a year and a half, but when it died it died hard, and now my mobo may have a problem related to it's death, it no longer keeps it's BIOS info even tho the battery appears to be fine, i wonder if it fried something when it died...

Bummer. A power supply should last alot longer than that.
August 14, 2006 2:43:52 AM

Clue69Less is da man !! w00t (im never sying w00t agian )
August 14, 2006 4:26:07 AM

Quote:
Clue69Less is da man !! w00t (im never sying w00t agian )

Dogonne, I already, ummm, ugghhh, donated the PCP&C power supply so we'll be sending you a Clues from Clueless t-shirt...
August 14, 2006 5:11:54 AM

i would like that

i wear a Lrg :D  :D  :D 
August 14, 2006 6:16:49 AM

what!?!?!

i dont get a T-shirt... :( 
August 14, 2006 1:18:42 PM

Quote:
what!?!?!

i dont get a T-shirt... :( 

You got the PCP&P PS and now you have to have a t-shirt too?
August 14, 2006 3:08:18 PM

yeah! how will i tell the world i won something on clues, anyone can go out and get the same PC P&C unit, but the shirt is priceless. so how about it? :lol: 
August 14, 2006 4:59:02 PM

Quote:
yeah! how will i tell the world i won something on clues, anyone can go out and get the same PC P&C unit, but the shirt is priceless. so how about it? :lol: 

I'll put a t-shirt together if people want to contribute slogans and/or artwork. What should we put on a Tom's Forumz T? We could do some of the better avatars, better quotes, etc. Ideas, we need ideas...

I'd want Action Man's old avatar on there, Steve Austin with the hole in the head... Ideas, we need ideas...
a b ) Power supply
August 14, 2006 5:21:02 PM

Quote:
I notice that 550 watt Ultra only has 2 +12v rails, for a total of 35 amps on the +12v rail. Take a Antec (like this one) in the same price range, similar features, and you get a PSU with power with 3 +12v rails with a total of 54 amps.

I just want to clarify for you that the Antec NeoHe 550 can provide up to 18 amps for each of the 3 12v rails individually. But the combined amps available is not 54 amps. Think about it 54 amps means 648w alone just on the 12v rails.

The actual maximum output of the combined 3 12v rails is 42 amps or 504w as can be seen from Antec's specs:

NeoHE 550 Specs
August 14, 2006 7:24:20 PM

ohhh!!!

lets put...ohh.. put "w00t" on it.
August 14, 2006 8:31:19 PM

That is just too freakn funny!!!! Good Times!!!
August 15, 2006 3:16:50 PM

Quote:
ohhh!!!

lets put...ohh.. put "w00t" on it.

That works. We need more... Maybe plumb Grape Ape's emoticon stash...
August 15, 2006 3:47:27 PM

The reviews arn't done my ultra employes there are done by third party websites and these websites believe it or not don't always have good things to say about ultras products. Ultra just happens to host links to the sites that do the reviews. But I would much rather have a well known site do an extensive review on there power supplies (like tom's) to see were they stack up against performance power supplies. But since Tom's is yet to review the x-connect i'll just have to test it out my self. When i first saw them i was amazed that you could only use the cables you need and if Antec were to do that on one of there gaming power supplies i would buy it but since they don't i'll stick with my X-2.

P.S. If anyone out there does know of a better moddular power supply let me know.

Edit wow i need to read more posts before i posted because i was way late with this one.
August 15, 2006 6:17:51 PM

Quote:
The reviews arn't done my ultra employes there are done by third party websites and these websites believe it or not don't always have good things to say about ultras products. Ultra just happens to host links to the sites that do the reviews.

Well, duh, I didn't know that. Yes I did. My point is that by looking at links on Ultra's site, you're guaranteed of finding the most positive reviews possible.

Quote:
P.S. If anyone out there does know of a better moddular power supply let me know.

How many examples do you need? What is your price range? Hard to pass up the mushkin 550 watter right now with the MIR. The Enermax Liberty is good if you don't have a high current GPU.
August 15, 2006 6:26:34 PM

Quote:
The reviews arn't done my ultra employes there are done by third party websites and these websites believe it or not don't always have good things to say about ultras products. Ultra just happens to host links to the sites that do the reviews. But I would much rather have a well known site do an extensive review on there power supplies (like tom's) to see were they stack up against performance power supplies. But since Tom's is yet to review the x-connect i'll just have to test it out my self. When i first saw them i was amazed that you could only use the cables you need and if Antec were to do that on one of there gaming power supplies i would buy it but since they don't i'll stick with my X-2.

Edit wow i need to read more posts before i posted because i was way late with this one.

Well I guess you're buying a new PSU then because the NeoHE line has been around for awhile... The NeoHE 550w at newegg is around $120, please post back here when you've bought it with a picture of yourself holding it.
August 16, 2006 3:10:26 AM

Quote:
Here are some reviews, from some reputable sites, on the Ultra X-connect. To my surprise, this particular model of the Ultra line actually performed well.

http://www.pro-clockers.com/article.php?id=99
http://techgage.com/article/ultra_products_x2_550w_psu
http://www.bigbruin.com/reviews05/review.php?item=xconn...
What reviews? All I see are links to 3 worthless fluff pieces.

Ultra supplies are sometimes available for $10 with rebate. I would buy one at that price if I needed a supply and I didn't plan to use it with any of the fastest video cards.
!