o29

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
I've been having a lot of problems with my computer. First all, a few months ago I ordered an x800GTO2 and consequently a new motherboard because my old one just had AGP. When I got my new motherboard I have some transfer problems with the hard drives and have to run them at a much lower speed. Also, my graphics card started having problems too, but I plan on RMAing that.

So I'm kind of anxious to go ahead and fix this computer because I'm getting tired of having problems with it. In order to do this, I'd need a new motherboard. Right now, though, I'm running an Athlon 64 3400+ so I have a Socket 754. If I'm going to bother buying a new motherboard, I figured I should just go ahead and get one with Socket 939. If I'm going to get Socket 939, I'm going to need a new CPU too.

I was really thinking about buying a Conroe before, but after I saw that Newegg has a deal for a 3800+ and this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138270) motherboard for just $223, I really started to consider just going with the 3800+. I want a Conroe and all, but it looks like I'd be paying about $400 or maybe more for one with the motherboard and all. I was thinking of the e6400, but that will still be more expensive than both the motherboard and the CPU if I went with the 3800+.

I'm just a little apprehensive because I've heard that the 3800+ really isn't much faster than a 3400+. It is dual core, but I don't multi-task all that much, so I don't really know if that would make a noticeable difference in day-to-day use. I've heard good things about how well it overclocks, so I might look into that, but I'm not sure I went to spend the money on an aftermarket heatsink and fan. My case has good cooling as it is, so I'm hoping the stock HSF would be sufficient.

I'm really on a budget, so that's why I'm a little apprehensive about going with Conroe. I know that there's a lot of motherboard problems currently, and they're all quite expensive. Not to mention, I'd be lucky to find a Conroe, anyway.

So basically, I'm asking if it would be a bad decision to go ahead and get the 3800+. I'm really looking to spend as little money as possible here, but I'm not sure if I want to get another Socket 754 and be stuck with my 3400+. I guess I could buy another 754 for this CPU until Conroes and the motherboards come down in price some, but I think I'd be waiting for awhile. Also, if I was doing that I might just save myself some money and suck it up by sticking with this crappy motherboard until I get a Conroe.

o29

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
What about motherboard problems though? I've heard it's hard to find a good motherboard for Conroes, and they al seem very pricey.

Agelmar

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2006
Depends on how you define good. The intel bad axe board (975xbxwhatever) is extremely stable, and while not overly intuitive to overclock, has been used very successfully to overclock. OTOH it's probably more than your processor (6300's are about $230-ish, mobo is about $250).

You can get a cheap 965 motherboard though for less... a bit under $200. Definitely better than the 3800+...

Gravemind123

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
You will save a lot of money on the motherboard going with the s939 3800+, and it uses the same type of ram(DDR) as the s754 computer you have now. If you don't want to spend money, and don't mind upgrading again in a couple years, go 3800+, but if you want performance that will last, go with the Core2Duo

o29

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
Wait, Conroe motherboards use DDR2? I wasn't aware. That would be another upgrade I'd have to make, then.

DaBigHurt

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
.....It is dual core, but I don't multi-task all that much, so I don't really know if that would make a noticeable difference in day-to-day use................I'm really on a budget.......

Dude, then you pretty much answered your own question. Right now the Core2Duo's are the cream of the crop, and
1: your on a budget and
2: you dont do much multi-tasking.

Sounds like a Conroe will be overkill for you.
go for socket 939. Go for the 4000+ which is only $138(s939) on newegg and its great bang-4-buck. And that should hold you off until you can get a good system built around a Conroe. Cuz those CPU's dont deserve to be run on with low-end MB's.

My 2 cents.
I already have a 939 system so I'm upgrade to a 4000+ or a X2 3800, that should calm my nerves until i can get a complete new system with a Conroe. :D

Agelmar

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2006
What about motherboard problems though? I've heard it's hard to find a good motherboard for Conroes, and they al seem very pricey.

Not true --- you are listening to AMD fanatics --- they are doing everything they can to spoil Core 2 Duo launch and sales. Here is a list of motherboards that are Core 2 Duo capable:

http://indigo.intel.com/mbsg/results.aspx?orgID=0&aryAttrID=243

This is not comprehensive, there are many others --- midrange MBs around 100-150 that are quality....

When you get this 'oh, there aren't any good mbs around', they are talking about the ultra enthusiast, clock your CPU to the next to melting hilt motherboards.

It would behoove you to be someone skeptical of them (as well as I for that matter) and do a little research on your own as well.

What is abundantly clear --- Core 2 Duo is without question the best on the market right now -- just look over all the benchmark/reviews (see top sticky thread of this forum).

Jack

That list is really wierd. I know they state it's not complete, but I just don't get it. There are no 975 boards on the list, and while Intel has a few of their own boards on it, they don't list the bad axe! (BOXD975XBXLKR)

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I've been having a lot of problems with my computer. First all, a few months ago I ordered an x800GTO2 and consequently a new motherboard because my old one just had AGP. When I got my new motherboard I have some transfer problems with the hard drives and have to run them at a much lower speed. Also, my graphics card started having problems too, but I plan on RMAing that.

So I'm kind of anxious to go ahead and fix this computer because I'm getting tired of having problems with it. In order to do this, I'd need a new motherboard. Right now, though, I'm running an Athlon 64 3400+ so I have a Socket 754. If I'm going to bother buying a new motherboard, I figured I should just go ahead and get one with Socket 939. If I'm going to get Socket 939, I'm going to need a new CPU too.

I was really thinking about buying a Conroe before, but after I saw that Newegg has a deal for a 3800+ and this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138270) motherboard for just $223, I really started to consider just going with the 3800+. I want a Conroe and all, but it looks like I'd be paying about $400 or maybe more for one with the motherboard and all. I was thinking of the e6400, but that will still be more expensive than both the motherboard and the CPU if I went with the 3800+.

I'm just a little apprehensive because I've heard that the 3800+ really isn't much faster than a 3400+. It is dual core, but I don't multi-task all that much, so I don't really know if that would make a noticeable difference in day-to-day use. I've heard good things about how well it overclocks, so I might look into that, but I'm not sure I went to spend the money on an aftermarket heatsink and fan. My case has good cooling as it is, so I'm hoping the stock HSF would be sufficient.

I'm really on a budget, so that's why I'm a little apprehensive about going with Conroe. I know that there's a lot of motherboard problems currently, and they're all quite expensive. Not to mention, I'd be lucky to find a Conroe, anyway.

So basically, I'm asking if it would be a bad decision to go ahead and get the 3800+. I'm really looking to spend as little money as possible here, but I'm not sure if I want to get another Socket 754 and be stuck with my 3400+. I guess I could buy another 754 for this CPU until Conroes and the motherboards come down in price some, but I think I'd be waiting for awhile. Also, if I was doing that I might just save myself some money and suck it up by sticking with this crappy motherboard until I get a Conroe.

If you go with this combo here you will be much faster.

X2 3800+

Gigabyte nForce4
cost:

$232

More than worth the extra $10.

You can't go wrong with the X2 either way. IF you were to get COre 2 you will still need DDR2 RAM.

NightStriker

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Alright here we go, it sounds like you are on a budget and even the lowest Core 2 is NOT a budget setup. Sooooo definently go with the x2 3800+ for 150 bucks on newegg forget about single cores duel core is just plain better and more future proof. Lets compare prices here.

Core 2 Duo e6300 - $230
Good motherboard - around $250
Total - $480

Athlon 64 x2 3800+ - $150
Good motherboard- $100 or cheaper
Total - $250

o29

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
I appreciate all of the advice guys.

What would be the best bang for your buck Conroe board?

That Gigabyte nforce 4 looks good. Any other recommended boards for 939 and DDR 400?

Also, I'm getting conflicting answers about dual core vs single core. :/

DaBigHurt

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
I appreciate all of the advice guys.

What would be the best bang for your buck Conroe board?

That Gigabyte nforce 4 looks good. Any other recommended boards for 939 and DDR 400?

Also, I'm getting conflicting answers about dual core vs single core. :/

Well, you have to say what you will be needing your computer for, then we can get a better Idea as to what we can recommend for you.

o29

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
Well, typical usage. I play games sometimes, so I guess you could say for gaming. I've heard most games don't utilize both cores, so the performance boost isn't that great. Well, I know that the CPU doesn't really affect performance that much anyway on regular resolutions, but yeah.

chewbenator

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
Bargain Conroe motherboards: 70-100

Mid-range Conroe Motherboards: 140-170

Top-boards for Conroe: 220-270

Alot of the problems with motherboards are with memory, just make sure you get some compatible memory and you shouldn't have any problems. But, if you are looking for gaming power make sure you get a decent video card too. I would suggest anything higher than X1800XT for ATI, and 7900GT for Nvidia.

o29

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
Well my X800GTO2 is what I got for the purpose of gaming. It's supposed to be highly overclockable. But yeah, I'm really not trying to build a whole new system or anything, so I'd like to avoid having to buy new memory if at all possible.

Here are my current specs:

Athlon 3400+
Biostar Tforce6100 Socket 754
1gb DDR 400
Antec Smartpower 2.0 400W PSU
150gb Seagate ATA
250gb Hitachi ATA

I'd honestly like to upgrade the RAM to some 2gb maybe valueselect. I'd also like to get a faster SATA drive. But those aren't my main concerns right now, and I'm more concerned about getting a new motherboard and processor that would give me the most bang for my buck.

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Go with what was suggested.
Regarding the X2 something and mobo for under $300.
Sorry conroe fanboys another time.
Your going to spend less money and have your computer now by going with a cheap am2 build.
I'm looking for a new computer and while I have the money I'm choosing not to build now.
I plan on getting a conroe but once prices/availability stabilize and motherboard solutions are less hit and miss.
If I ordered today I'd buy a budget Am2 system.
If you plan on upgrading now and not in a year then get a dual core amd.
Everything is dual core now it's not something you'll be paying a premium for.

I don't know if this is helpful but I hope so.
I'm not sure if your expecting links to parts for a complete build or something.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1959177&CatId=0

Mobo/processor x2 3800 = $225 $205 after rebate

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1908191&CatId=0

Mobo/processor similar $229

Both
Supporting pciX 16 for better videocard
Still with DDR ram
Serial/IDE support.
I don't think your going to SLI so the lack of support should be a non-issue.

Budget pc is different in some peoples book.
Yes you can get lowest end conroe everything for $320... maybe.
But then you'd need new ram also. +100-200
Plan on buying a new video card regardless so that's $100(doubt that cheap)-$300
So you'd be looking at $420 minimum.
While that is budget probably even for you, there is cheaper and I think that's your aim.
I wish people would try to keep in mind what someone is looking for not what they want.(My $0.02)

Hopefully I'm helpful.

p.s. my posts might be occasionally incoherent.
I post from work and get interrupted many many times.
Sometimes they are written over the course of hours.

bliq

Distinguished
If you're anywhere near a Fry's or know someone who is, today's deal is a ECS KN1 SLI Lite nForce4 with a X2 3800+ for $199...

use your old DDR400, and you get the capability for SLI, if you're using an nVidia vid card.

EDIT: Doh, didn't notice you're using an ATI card. well, in that case, sometimes Fry's has a mobo with a single PCI-E x16 w/ X2 3800+ for $179.

o29

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006

Look at this website and order it. ask for the ASROCK mobo that will run the conroe with AGP for $56
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157092

My only complaint about that board is that it looks like overclocking would be kind of difficult. If I get a 3800+ I'd probably want to overclock, and it would be nice to be able to raise the vcore.

TRENDING THREADS