One of my XP systems just upgraded to SP2----
Now comes to Desktop with a big superimposed
window entitled "Security Alert"......but the
window is empty, and refuses to close by any means
I am familiar with. Is this window generated by
SP2 somenow, and if so, how do I (first) close
it, and (second) stop it from showing up at all?

One usual method of closing a window is to click
the "close" or "cancel" button it contains....
this one leads sometimes to another window referring
to a file "center_failed.html" which, when closing,
leads back to "Security Alert"......

Thank you.
--
William B. Lurie

you did not remove the spyware, did you....
weatherbug is spyware,. this is your error

use add/remove programs and spybot toremove.
spybot safer-networking.org

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%22center_failed.html%22&btnG=Search

Thank you, eagle. I'm a bit at a loss as to how to
follow your advice. Weatherbug, I thought, was a
new addition to AIM, and I allow it, and it does
not disturb my SP1 systems. It does not pop up in
the SP2 upgraded system. And to get the SP2 system
installed and running, I'm using Selective Startup
with only System Services so I wonder if your diagnosis
addresses my problem. Could you be more specific?
W B L

--
William B. Lurie

Okay, eag..... I had spybot, ran it, it did
not detect Weatherbug. I did find it in Add/
Remove programs and removed it from there.
The problem,however, is not on this main XP
which is still SP1 and will not be updated to
SP2 until I get a drive working with SP2 and no
shenanigans. Like that "Security Alert" window
that I'm waiting for somebody (MVP?) to tell
me what it is, and how to close it.
WBL

--
William B. Lurie

Hi William,

I removed Weatherbug not only for the spyware that started showing up, but
also for the bandwidth it uses. It is a neat program, though. It has been
around a long time and if it is part of AIM it would be a very recent
acquisition.

Colin

"William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
> Thank you, eagle. I'm a bit at a loss as to how to
> follow your advice. Weatherbug, I thought, was a
> new addition to AIM, and I allow it, and it does
> not disturb my SP1 systems. It does not pop up in
> the SP2 upgraded system. And to get the SP2 system
> installed and running, I'm using Selective Startup
> with only System Services so I wonder if your diagnosis
> addresses my problem. Could you be more specific?
> W B L
>
> eagle wrote:
>> you did not remove the spyware, did you....
>> weatherbug is spyware,. this is your error
>>
>> use add/remove programs and spybot toremove.
>> spybot safer-networking.org
>>

>> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%22center_failed.html%22&btnG=Search

Hi, Colin. I could be wrong about Weatherbug as part of latest AIM.
It only showed on my system, however, after I updated to the latest
version of AIM. I don't think I asked for it at all, and I'll do
without it until all other problem go away. (For me that's probably never).

Now that "Security Alert" window. I did some detective work and I'm
pretty sure it is part of the improved security that SP2 gives. I
found in Windows Task Manager two programs running when that
obtrusive window showed.....symwscno.exe and wscntfy.exe ......
Killing the second one killed the window but it wandered back after
15 seconds or so. Killing the first mentioned, it stayed gone. The
next clue is that I found two icons in my try at bottom right,
which opened up to "Windows security alerts", and told me that I
have the firewall not operating (as was my choice) and that my
Norton Anti-Virus is not enabled (also my choice until I'm ready
to go online). So all in all, I think it's a Windows+SP2 problem,
and while I don't like to call it a "bug", I don't know what else
to call a window that SP2 created that I have no way to close.

I have attached a screen shot of that window, by the way.

Maybe with that comment, one of the MVPs will care to step in.....
if they read down this far.

Bill L.

--
William B. Lurie

Normal behavior based on my system is that only one security alert shield
should appear and the balloon will include both the firewall off and
anti-virus off messages. I have seen duplicate tray icons for several
programs that follow some activity, but moving the mouse over one of them
causes it to vanish.

> Hi, Colin. I could be wrong about Weatherbug as part of latest AIM.
> It only showed on my system, however, after I updated to the latest
> version of AIM. I don't think I asked for it at all, and I'll do
> without it until all other problem go away. (For me that's probably
> never).
>
> Now that "Security Alert" window. I did some detective work and I'm
> pretty sure it is part of the improved security that SP2 gives. I
> found in Windows Task Manager two programs running when that
> obtrusive window showed.....symwscno.exe and wscntfy.exe ......
> Killing the second one killed the window but it wandered back after
> 15 seconds or so. Killing the first mentioned, it stayed gone. The
> next clue is that I found two icons in my try at bottom right,
> which opened up to "Windows security alerts", and told me that I
> have the firewall not operating (as was my choice) and that my
> Norton Anti-Virus is not enabled (also my choice until I'm ready
> to go online). So all in all, I think it's a Windows+SP2 problem,
> and while I don't like to call it a "bug", I don't know what else
> to call a window that SP2 created that I have no way to close.
>
> I have attached a screen shot of that window, by the way.
>
> Maybe with that comment, one of the MVPs will care to step in.....
> if they read down this far.
>
> Bill L.
>
> Colin Barnhorst wrote:
>> Hi William,
>>
>> I removed Weatherbug not only for the spyware that started showing up,
>> but also for the bandwidth it uses. It is a neat program, though. It
>> has been around a long time and if it is part of AIM it would be a very
>> recent acquisition.
>>
>> Colin
>>
>> "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
>>
>>>Thank you, eagle. I'm a bit at a loss as to how to
>>>follow your advice. Weatherbug, I thought, was a
>>>new addition to AIM, and I allow it, and it does
>>>not disturb my SP1 systems. It does not pop up in
>>>the SP2 upgraded system. And to get the SP2 system
>>>installed and running, I'm using Selective Startup
>>>with only System Services so I wonder if your diagnosis
>>>addresses my problem. Could you be more specific?
>>>W B L

That makes sense, Colin. Maybe I had two because
I clicked several times and places to try to close
out the window. I mean, the window that was *empty*
and refused to be closed, I classify as a bug or malfunction.

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> Normal behavior based on my system is that only one security alert shield
> should appear and the balloon will include both the firewall off and
> anti-virus off messages. I have seen duplicate tray icons for several
> programs that follow some activity, but moving the mouse over one of them
> causes it to vanish.
>
> "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
>
>>Hi, Colin. I could be wrong about Weatherbug as part of latest AIM.
>>It only showed on my system, however, after I updated to the latest
>>version of AIM. I don't think I asked for it at all, and I'll do
>>without it until all other problem go away. (For me that's probably
>>never).
>>
>>Now that "Security Alert" window. I did some detective work and I'm
>>pretty sure it is part of the improved security that SP2 gives. I
>>found in Windows Task Manager two programs running when that
>>obtrusive window showed.....symwscno.exe and wscntfy.exe ......
>>Killing the second one killed the window but it wandered back after
>>15 seconds or so. Killing the first mentioned, it stayed gone. The
>>next clue is that I found two icons in my try at bottom right,
>>which opened up to "Windows security alerts", and told me that I
>>have the firewall not operating (as was my choice) and that my
>>Norton Anti-Virus is not enabled (also my choice until I'm ready
>>to go online). So all in all, I think it's a Windows+SP2 problem,
>>and while I don't like to call it a "bug", I don't know what else
>>to call a window that SP2 created that I have no way to close.
>>
>>I have attached a screen shot of that window, by the way.
>>
>>Maybe with that comment, one of the MVPs will care to step in.....
>>if they read down this far.
>>
>>Bill L.
>>
>>Colin Barnhorst wrote:
>>
>>>Hi William,
>>>
>>>I removed Weatherbug not only for the spyware that started showing up,
>>>but also for the bandwidth it uses. It is a neat program, though. It
>>>has been around a long time and if it is part of AIM it would be a very
>>>recent acquisition.
>>>
>>>Colin
>>>
>>>"William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message

The Security Center, Pest Patrol, and Virtual PC will put a new copy of
their icons at the left end of the line in the Notification Area on my
system if I invoke their respective programs from the Start menu. The
original one turns out to be the phantom. If I invoke them by right
clicking on the tray icon it does not happen. Other programs that have tray
icons don't seem to care how I invoke them.

> That makes sense, Colin. Maybe I had two because
> I clicked several times and places to try to close
> out the window. I mean, the window that was *empty*
> and refused to be closed, I classify as a bug or malfunction.
>
> Colin Barnhorst wrote:
>> Normal behavior based on my system is that only one security alert shield
>> should appear and the balloon will include both the firewall off and
>> anti-virus off messages. I have seen duplicate tray icons for several
>> programs that follow some activity, but moving the mouse over one of them
>> causes it to vanish.
>>
>> "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi, Colin. I could be wrong about Weatherbug as part of latest AIM.
>>>It only showed on my system, however, after I updated to the latest
>>>version of AIM. I don't think I asked for it at all, and I'll do
>>>without it until all other problem go away. (For me that's probably
>>>never).
>>>
>>>Now that "Security Alert" window. I did some detective work and I'm
>>>pretty sure it is part of the improved security that SP2 gives. I
>>>found in Windows Task Manager two programs running when that
>>>obtrusive window showed.....symwscno.exe and wscntfy.exe ......
>>>Killing the second one killed the window but it wandered back after
>>>15 seconds or so. Killing the first mentioned, it stayed gone. The
>>>next clue is that I found two icons in my try at bottom right,
>>>which opened up to "Windows security alerts", and told me that I
>>>have the firewall not operating (as was my choice) and that my
>>>Norton Anti-Virus is not enabled (also my choice until I'm ready
>>>to go online). So all in all, I think it's a Windows+SP2 problem,
>>>and while I don't like to call it a "bug", I don't know what else
>>>to call a window that SP2 created that I have no way to close.
>>>
>>>I have attached a screen shot of that window, by the way.
>>>
>>>Maybe with that comment, one of the MVPs will care to step in.....
>>>if they read down this far.
>>>
>>>Bill L.

My partial correction of the problem, of two days ago,
was not the solution. It may still be some interaction
between the Windows Firewall (which is off) and
Norton's NSW/Anti-Virus. In any case, ccapp.exe could
still be the root cause but Symantec (surprise!) will
not address the problem.

The question remains unanswered, as to how to close
an obtrusive open window which is empty except for its
identification at top, reading "Security Alert"....not
Windows Security Center....and in its upper left corner,
a symbol which might identify its source, like 2 dampled
sine wave cycles or just wiggles. This is satrictly an
SP2 problem. Further comments welcome.....

--
William B. Lurie

--
weatherbugjay