"Security Alert" window

One of my XP systems just upgraded to SP2----
Now comes to Desktop with a big superimposed
window entitled "Security Alert"......but the
window is empty, and refuses to close by any means
I am familiar with. Is this window generated by
SP2 somenow, and if so, how do I (first) close
it, and (second) stop it from showing up at all?

One usual method of closing a window is to click
the "close" or "cancel" button it contains....
this one leads sometimes to another window referring
to a file "center_failed.html" which, when closing,
leads back to "Security Alert"......

Thank you.
--
William B. Lurie
10 answers Last reply

    you did not remove the spyware, did you....
    weatherbug is spyware,. this is your error

    use add/remove programs and spybot toremove.
    spybot safer-networking.org

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%22center_failed.html%22&btnG=Search

    Thank you, eagle. I'm a bit at a loss as to how to
    follow your advice. Weatherbug, I thought, was a
    new addition to AIM, and I allow it, and it does
    not disturb my SP1 systems. It does not pop up in
    the SP2 upgraded system. And to get the SP2 system
    installed and running, I'm using Selective Startup
    with only System Services so I wonder if your diagnosis
    addresses my problem. Could you be more specific?
    W B L

    --
    William B. Lurie

    Okay, eag..... I had spybot, ran it, it did
    not detect Weatherbug. I did find it in Add/
    Remove programs and removed it from there.
    The problem,however, is not on this main XP
    which is still SP1 and will not be updated to
    SP2 until I get a drive working with SP2 and no
    shenanigans. Like that "Security Alert" window
    that I'm waiting for somebody (MVP?) to tell
    me what it is, and how to close it.
    WBL

    --
    William B. Lurie

    Hi William,

    I removed Weatherbug not only for the spyware that started showing up, but
    also for the bandwidth it uses. It is a neat program, though. It has been
    around a long time and if it is part of AIM it would be a very recent
    acquisition.

    Colin

    "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
    > Thank you, eagle. I'm a bit at a loss as to how to
    > follow your advice. Weatherbug, I thought, was a
    > new addition to AIM, and I allow it, and it does
    > not disturb my SP1 systems. It does not pop up in
    > the SP2 upgraded system. And to get the SP2 system
    > installed and running, I'm using Selective Startup
    > with only System Services so I wonder if your diagnosis
    > addresses my problem. Could you be more specific?
    > W B L
    >
    > eagle wrote:
    >> you did not remove the spyware, did you....
    >> weatherbug is spyware,. this is your error
    >>
    >> use add/remove programs and spybot toremove.
    >> spybot safer-networking.org
    >>

    >> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%22center_failed.html%22&btnG=Search

    Hi, Colin. I could be wrong about Weatherbug as part of latest AIM.
    It only showed on my system, however, after I updated to the latest
    version of AIM. I don't think I asked for it at all, and I'll do
    without it until all other problem go away. (For me that's probably never).

    Now that "Security Alert" window. I did some detective work and I'm
    pretty sure it is part of the improved security that SP2 gives. I
    found in Windows Task Manager two programs running when that
    obtrusive window showed.....symwscno.exe and wscntfy.exe ......
    Killing the second one killed the window but it wandered back after
    15 seconds or so. Killing the first mentioned, it stayed gone. The
    next clue is that I found two icons in my try at bottom right,
    which opened up to "Windows security alerts", and told me that I
    have the firewall not operating (as was my choice) and that my
    Norton Anti-Virus is not enabled (also my choice until I'm ready
    to go online). So all in all, I think it's a Windows+SP2 problem,
    and while I don't like to call it a "bug", I don't know what else
    to call a window that SP2 created that I have no way to close.

    I have attached a screen shot of that window, by the way.

    Maybe with that comment, one of the MVPs will care to step in.....
    if they read down this far.

    Bill L.

    --
    William B. Lurie

    Normal behavior based on my system is that only one security alert shield
    should appear and the balloon will include both the firewall off and
    anti-virus off messages. I have seen duplicate tray icons for several
    programs that follow some activity, but moving the mouse over one of them
    causes it to vanish.

    > Hi, Colin. I could be wrong about Weatherbug as part of latest AIM.
    > It only showed on my system, however, after I updated to the latest
    > version of AIM. I don't think I asked for it at all, and I'll do
    > without it until all other problem go away. (For me that's probably
    > never).
    >
    > Now that "Security Alert" window. I did some detective work and I'm
    > pretty sure it is part of the improved security that SP2 gives. I
    > found in Windows Task Manager two programs running when that
    > obtrusive window showed.....symwscno.exe and wscntfy.exe ......
    > Killing the second one killed the window but it wandered back after
    > 15 seconds or so. Killing the first mentioned, it stayed gone. The
    > next clue is that I found two icons in my try at bottom right,
    > which opened up to "Windows security alerts", and told me that I
    > have the firewall not operating (as was my choice) and that my
    > Norton Anti-Virus is not enabled (also my choice until I'm ready
    > to go online). So all in all, I think it's a Windows+SP2 problem,
    > and while I don't like to call it a "bug", I don't know what else
    > to call a window that SP2 created that I have no way to close.
    >
    > I have attached a screen shot of that window, by the way.
    >
    > Maybe with that comment, one of the MVPs will care to step in.....
    > if they read down this far.
    >
    > Bill L.
    >
    > Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    >> Hi William,
    >>
    >> I removed Weatherbug not only for the spyware that started showing up,
    >> but also for the bandwidth it uses. It is a neat program, though. It
    >> has been around a long time and if it is part of AIM it would be a very
    >> recent acquisition.
    >>
    >> Colin
    >>
    >> "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Thank you, eagle. I'm a bit at a loss as to how to
    >>>follow your advice. Weatherbug, I thought, was a
    >>>new addition to AIM, and I allow it, and it does
    >>>not disturb my SP1 systems. It does not pop up in
    >>>the SP2 upgraded system. And to get the SP2 system
    >>>installed and running, I'm using Selective Startup
    >>>with only System Services so I wonder if your diagnosis
    >>>addresses my problem. Could you be more specific?
    >>>W B L

    That makes sense, Colin. Maybe I had two because
    I clicked several times and places to try to close
    out the window. I mean, the window that was *empty*
    and refused to be closed, I classify as a bug or malfunction.

    Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    > Normal behavior based on my system is that only one security alert shield
    > should appear and the balloon will include both the firewall off and
    > anti-virus off messages. I have seen duplicate tray icons for several
    > programs that follow some activity, but moving the mouse over one of them
    > causes it to vanish.
    >
    > "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi, Colin. I could be wrong about Weatherbug as part of latest AIM.
    >>It only showed on my system, however, after I updated to the latest
    >>version of AIM. I don't think I asked for it at all, and I'll do
    >>without it until all other problem go away. (For me that's probably
    >>never).
    >>
    >>Now that "Security Alert" window. I did some detective work and I'm
    >>pretty sure it is part of the improved security that SP2 gives. I
    >>found in Windows Task Manager two programs running when that
    >>obtrusive window showed.....symwscno.exe and wscntfy.exe ......
    >>Killing the second one killed the window but it wandered back after
    >>15 seconds or so. Killing the first mentioned, it stayed gone. The
    >>next clue is that I found two icons in my try at bottom right,
    >>which opened up to "Windows security alerts", and told me that I
    >>have the firewall not operating (as was my choice) and that my
    >>Norton Anti-Virus is not enabled (also my choice until I'm ready
    >>to go online). So all in all, I think it's a Windows+SP2 problem,
    >>and while I don't like to call it a "bug", I don't know what else
    >>to call a window that SP2 created that I have no way to close.
    >>
    >>I have attached a screen shot of that window, by the way.
    >>
    >>Maybe with that comment, one of the MVPs will care to step in.....
    >>if they read down this far.
    >>
    >>Bill L.
    >>
    >>Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi William,
    >>>
    >>>I removed Weatherbug not only for the spyware that started showing up,
    >>>but also for the bandwidth it uses. It is a neat program, though. It
    >>>has been around a long time and if it is part of AIM it would be a very
    >>>recent acquisition.
    >>>
    >>>Colin
    >>>
    >>>"William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message

    The Security Center, Pest Patrol, and Virtual PC will put a new copy of
    their icons at the left end of the line in the Notification Area on my
    system if I invoke their respective programs from the Start menu. The
    original one turns out to be the phantom. If I invoke them by right
    clicking on the tray icon it does not happen. Other programs that have tray
    icons don't seem to care how I invoke them.

    > That makes sense, Colin. Maybe I had two because
    > I clicked several times and places to try to close
    > out the window. I mean, the window that was *empty*
    > and refused to be closed, I classify as a bug or malfunction.
    >
    > Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    >> Normal behavior based on my system is that only one security alert shield
    >> should appear and the balloon will include both the firewall off and
    >> anti-virus off messages. I have seen duplicate tray icons for several
    >> programs that follow some activity, but moving the mouse over one of them
    >> causes it to vanish.
    >>
    >> "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hi, Colin. I could be wrong about Weatherbug as part of latest AIM.
    >>>It only showed on my system, however, after I updated to the latest
    >>>version of AIM. I don't think I asked for it at all, and I'll do
    >>>without it until all other problem go away. (For me that's probably
    >>>never).
    >>>
    >>>Now that "Security Alert" window. I did some detective work and I'm
    >>>pretty sure it is part of the improved security that SP2 gives. I
    >>>found in Windows Task Manager two programs running when that
    >>>obtrusive window showed.....symwscno.exe and wscntfy.exe ......
    >>>Killing the second one killed the window but it wandered back after
    >>>15 seconds or so. Killing the first mentioned, it stayed gone. The
    >>>next clue is that I found two icons in my try at bottom right,
    >>>which opened up to "Windows security alerts", and told me that I
    >>>have the firewall not operating (as was my choice) and that my
    >>>Norton Anti-Virus is not enabled (also my choice until I'm ready
    >>>to go online). So all in all, I think it's a Windows+SP2 problem,
    >>>and while I don't like to call it a "bug", I don't know what else
    >>>to call a window that SP2 created that I have no way to close.
    >>>
    >>>I have attached a screen shot of that window, by the way.
    >>>
    >>>Maybe with that comment, one of the MVPs will care to step in.....
    >>>if they read down this far.
    >>>
    >>>Bill L.

    My partial correction of the problem, of two days ago,
    was not the solution. It may still be some interaction
    between the Windows Firewall (which is off) and
    Norton's NSW/Anti-Virus. In any case, ccapp.exe could
    still be the root cause but Symantec (surprise!) will
    not address the problem.

    The question remains unanswered, as to how to close
    an obtrusive open window which is empty except for its
    identification at top, reading "Security Alert"....not
    Windows Security Center....and in its upper left corner,
    a symbol which might identify its source, like 2 dampled
    sine wave cycles or just wiggles. This is satrictly an
    SP2 problem. Further comments welcome.....

    --
    William B. Lurie

    --
    weatherbugjay