Sign in with
Your question

First (Non-Independant) X1950XTX Crossfire Benchmarks

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 10, 2006 2:24:09 AM

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3727

ATI has released some early benchmarks of a Crossfire X1950XTX system against a Quad SLI 7950GX2 system. The Crossfire setup wins most of the time, but an important note is that theoretically they don't crank up the AA and AF high enough to show the real strength of Quad SLI. Still it's very good results considering the X1950XTX it's only the memory speed that is raised to 2GHz while the core remains at 650MHz. I thought that they would at least clock it to 700MHz considering it's a refined design along with a better cooler.

Hopefully a single X1950XTX will hold it's own against a single 7950CX2. I perfer a cleaner single PCB solution over a dual PCB solution anyways. It avoids worrying about how much the game benefits with SLI or Crossfire. The X1950XTXs claim will be short lived though since the G80 is due in September/October. ATI's also supposed to have a 256MB X1950XT to compete with the 7900GT and the standard X1900 models are supposed to remain for a while at lower prices. Combined with all the 80nm chips it's going to be a very busy product line.
August 10, 2006 3:07:56 AM

Yeah i saw this. I have to seriously question these benchmarks though. In 2 of the benchmarks, the 1950xtx is 100% faster than the 7950GX2.

But who knows... maybe it is that fast. If it is, all I have to say is WOW! nVidia better have something very, very good in the pipeline.
a b U Graphics card
August 10, 2006 4:56:15 AM

Yeah I'd been discussing this with a few people earlier, and sent out a few links.

The thing that's interesting is the areas where the 1950 excels are at two opposite ends of the spectrum COD2-HL2 is 'low res' and Fear it only takes the lead once High Res with AA is a factor. The former indicating shader power advantages, the seconds being more indicative of the benifit of memory bandwidth benifits (thanks to that GDDR4).

I'll wait for some final results because this aren't something you can relate to other tests (not to say they aren't valid, they just don't mean much on their own [heck even a THG, Xbit or FiringSquad review means little on it's own]).

I think the final statement though about "QuadSLi" is pretty junk considering that the AF level has nothing to do with it, AA would be an issue, but AF there is no comparison, and as to the benefits it's nice for some people to assume results, but I'm not about to start theorizing on the benifits of 4 cores with limited memory versus 2 cores with greater memory resources when it come to high end, both have potential benifits for different reasons/situations/apps.

As to the 'twice the speed' it's plausible, but still strange. But we have seen it elsewhere in other situations. Look at the ATi vs ATi advantage of the X1900XT versus X1800XT for AOE3, remarkable demo of how more shader power can help in some situations (the X1900's minimum FPS well above the X1800's avg);

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/asus-eax...

Sort of illustrates the idea of what is an app more suceptable to core or memory benefits, and if you think about HL2 being one of the only apps that benifited the X800XL going from 256MB to 512MB and benefiting greatly from increased memory speed tweaking, it's easy to see how HL2 could benifit, but surpriding that that benifit remains constant and doesn't grow with res/aa increases the way it did with the X800XL (to the point where it beat the XT)
Related resources
August 10, 2006 5:50:06 AM

Hmm, X1950XT and is the 256mb version going to be the X1950pro? ---meh

So will these new GPU"s be 'dongle'-less for crossfire? I think thats the biggy.

I'm just waiting to see the new revision for the X1900GT's, could be quite nice if its a built up R520 and not an expensive, cut down R580.

But what I dont get is such an earlier launch for Nvidia. The G80 is going to be all about Vista, and its quite clear it wont' be until late holiday season before realese of the new OS. So I'm wondering a few things. Either the R600 is the superior solution and Nv is doing an earlier launch to capitolize on market share simply to have the better product before ATI does...

Or the G80 is a bandaid and when the R600 launches, we'll see a clock speed boost or refresh from the guys in green to compete........makes me think hard indeed :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Which would make sense, because the X1950's still havent had official clock frequency specs realese (at least that I"m aware of). So it can just be clocked higher to keep the G80 out of true contention while the R600 cores are being turned out. Again, makes sense, because whats the point of having a DX10 compliant card when the DX10 API isnt even out to to utilize. :idea: :idea: :idea:

Speculation makes my head hurt :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry: 
August 10, 2006 11:07:45 AM

Will one x1950xtx be compatible with NForce 590SLI motherboard as a single card? Will there be any performance loss?
August 10, 2006 11:54:37 AM

Since it's not a Crossfire card on two PCBs in a single slot, it will run on a non-ATI chipset. It will work fine as a single card, but you can't buy two cards and expect to use them in Crossfire mode.
August 10, 2006 11:56:11 AM

Quote:
Will one x1950xtx be compatible with NForce 590SLI motherboard as a single card? Will there be any performance loss?

Historically, ATI video cards worked just fine with nForce mobos. It shouldn't be an issue, neither have any performance losses.
But, only time will tell. :wink:
August 10, 2006 12:14:04 PM

But this card is similar to 7950gx2 that combines two cards together.
Since 7950 need the mobo to support sli, will 1950xtx require the mobo to support cross fire? in that case, an sli mobo shouldn't support the CF required "single" card, or Am I wrong?
August 10, 2006 12:21:45 PM

As far as I know, the X1950XTX is a single-GPU card. There shouldn't be a "need" for a Crossfire motherboard.
Obviously, if you want to do Crossfire, you need an appropiate mobo.
August 10, 2006 12:40:53 PM

Yeah, you are right, thanks for that. I didn't notice it is a real single card. My fault.
August 10, 2006 1:15:39 PM

I smell a bit of BS; I'm sure the X1950XTX will be great for the money, but I would never trust a benchmark from Nvidia or ATI.
August 13, 2006 6:36:05 PM

Quote:
I smell a bit of BS; I'm sure the X1950XTX will be great for the money, but I would never trust a benchmark from Nvidia or ATI.

Well who would? Still, with high end cards, memory bandwith is a big thing, and according to VR-Zone, it seems like it might even be a better overclocker than the X1900's! We may very well have a winner on our hands, but only time will tell. Either way, if this card does beat the 7950, it will be very incredible that a single core is capable of doing what two cores can't do as well, or the same.
!