Just got parts, trying to fit it togather

Nysze

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
I know mostly purchasing hardware questions belong here, but this is my first time and I am really lost.

Alright, I bought this case here, and I am having trouble getting the motherboard inside of it. First it is really tight inside, wish I would have gotten a bigger one, but the problem is that it came with only two of the brass nuts, and I'm not exactly sure what they expect me to do with only two, is it alright to just screw the motherboard in with the two? Is there something else I have to do? Do I just need to buy extra brass nuts?

Also I'm a bit confused by the fact that the holes for the brass nuts are raised a bit, at first I thought they just took away the need for the spacers, but this would ground the motherboard so.... I'm confused.

Nysze

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
The motherboard would be touching the metal on the case though, and would thus be grounded, I thought this was a big no no. Unless the motherboard is built in such a way that it's not grounded when touching metal.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
It looks like they built in the standoffs (those little brass nuts :)).

Those raised areas should correspond with the holes on your MB..

Does the manual say anything about where the other two standoffs go?

They might have a couple of locations that are not pre-raised.

Also, before trusting in a NO-Standoff application... try and verify using a piece of paper or paper strips that there is in fact clearances behind the board. No sense in finding out on power-up!!

GL

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Also,

Not sure what system you are putting together but please be aware that the PSU rating is a bit low by todays standards....

If you are building a newer computer with newer components then please beware that PSU. 300W will not do...

Nysze

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Yea, I bought a new antec power supply, I've heard bad stories about stock power supplies, plus the fact that this one was weak.

Thanks, there is clearly enough room below the built in stand offs and the motherboard, I was just thinking the metal touching it would be enough to ground it, but it seems like they built it so that area has no metal on the MB, I'm still confused but I'm just going to go with it and hope it turns on =P.

Nysze

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Now I have a question about the power supply (I'm such a newb, and I'm going to end up blowing something up ><). Do the 4 pin connectors (that go into the pci e16 and dvd drive have any diference, or can they be pluged in either way, I don't see any way of marking them so I would asume I could, but just checking.

Nysze

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
(unless you press really really hard :)).

oops...

nah I think I got it right, time will tell.

Ugh I hate to keep asking this stuff but I have like 5 manuals open and it's all so confusing, I'm plugging in the fpanel and I can't seem to figure this out. I have 4 connectors coming from the power, 2 are labeled "Power SW", but then the other two are seperate and labled PW+, PW-, now the chart I have in the motherboard manual has a box that says "Power Switch" but it seperates that into PW+ and PW-, but it does these for the reset and HD Led, but those don't have their own connectors for positive and negative, well they do but they are connected at the end, but the power has the additional wires. also I have a "Message LED" on the fpanel, but I don't seem to have a connector for this, is this normal or is one of the power cords plug in here.

I know I explained this horribly, I'm hoping someone can understand my crappy writting though.

edit...
also am I correct in asuming that the white wires are negative?

edit...
Oh, I'm not, who makes postive random colors? ><

edit...again...
Also at this point is it safe to turn comp on so I can test it so far, I don't have video card in, HD, or any other drives. Just want to test it out before too many wires get in the way.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Honestly I do not have the TWO required manuals in front of me.

You need to read and read again (kinda like the measure twice cut once methodology) BOTH your MB manual and your Case manual and possibly your PSU manual.

A pair of needle nose pliers tend to help with the placement of those leads.

Just keep going over the manuals and the leads until you figure it out. This is probably the hardest part for most new builders. It can seem overwhelming.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Never assume colors....

Like Forest says "Life is like a cases leads you never know what you are going to get" :D

Ok its getting late and I'm getting tired. Sorry for the bad joke...

Nysze

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Oh good, spent a good hour tyring to figure that out.

Alright I have most everything plugged in (the fun bios stuff starts next :roll: ), but my instalation guide says I need an audio cable for my DVD drive (It's a DVD RW if that makes any diference), will it be fine without it? what diference dose it make? becuase my drive was OEM and didn't seem to come with one.

Nysze

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Ugh, This is much more dificult then it sounded. Now I'm on the video card and I think I'm doing it right, but it just feels kinda odd, so I'm checking. First thing is the video card supposed to go in upside down (it's a evga nvida, and it has a fan on top of it, so it makes since to do it that way to make the best use of room. Also I'm having a hell of a time getting it to fit in the slot outside the case, because of this stupid edge they put on it :(.

(I have a feeling that by the end of this my expensive video card is going out the window ><).

Nysze

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
K thanks, I figured out what I was doing wrong though, the stupid plate where all the expansions stick out has a shelf witch screws off, but this dosen't look very obvoius, ugh I was about to break my mobo and card trying to stick this thing in =P.

Cases should come with manuals ><.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your case has built-in stand-offs. The two brass standoffs are usually needed for securing the lower end of a Micro ATX motherboard, since your case supports both ATX and Micro ATX boards.

And yes, motherboards have a ground plane that comes out at the standoffs.

Nysze

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Ugh, hopefully this is the last hardware question. I can't find where the headphone and microphone jacks in the front of the case plug into on the motherboard, I found where the usb plugs in, but it dosen't appear the audio is anywhere near there (kind of surprising). My manual dosen't say anything about it, but I'm pretty sure the motherboard is capable of it (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128321).

Oh, I did find it, but it says I need to "you must remove 5-6, 9-10 Jumper", how do I do this? And as far as I understand it I shoulden't have had to remove, or change any jumpers as of yet, is that correct?

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Your front audio and mic should have cables ending in jumpers that you would connect to your mobo. Your mobo manual should tell you what pins correspond with audio or mic. Just place the jumpers on those pins and you should be good...

Nysze

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Alright thanks, I got everything hooked togather, I just turned it on for the first time, no big explosion.

I have two problems though, one is that my moniter is not getting any signal (this isn't a big concern right now thugh, I'm sure it's just a lose conection somewhere). But my main concern is that my power supply fan is not coming on, isn't this supposed to happen immediatly?

My PSU has a blue and black cord coming from it, with a connector at the end that looked like the other fan connectors, I asumed this was the fan for the power supply fan, so I plugged it into the correct spot on the motherboard accordingly. The connection is tight, I am hoping that it is not supposed to come on until needed, but I'd just like a clarrification before I continue to run it.

garnin

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
well, if your monitor is not getting any signal, how can you even be sure the computer is working? :wink:

You should check all your cable connections. Make sure the 20/24 pin motherboard connector AND the separate 12 V atx connector are both plugged in.

Nysze

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
All the fans turn on, the harddrive starts making noises, and stuff is happening =P, the LED lights up front didn't cut on though so I think I have to reverse polarity on them ><, about to try that now.

And I was kind of wrong about the PSU fan coming on, the one that is inside the computer is on, but the one facing outside isn't coming on, i'll just keep feeling it to make sure it dosen't get hot though, and the outside fan should come on eventualy, so now I need to tackle why my moniter isn't coming on.

The fan on the GPU is coming on though, so I'm hopeing that means that it is fine, and I didn't break it while trying to get it in.

Nysze

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
I got the lights working up front, and surpprisingly enough the video card and motherboard manuals have troubleshooting, but none of them include anything about the screen going blank =P, seems like that would have been the first thing covered.

It is a wide screen monitor, if that makes any diference, maybe? doubt it ><.

bliq

Distinguished
Well if the system wasnn't seeing your video card then you would get a few quick beeps. Make sure the monitor cable is pluged in all the way and that no pins are bent.

*IF* you had the speaker plugged in- some cases don't have a built in speaker, only that little speaker "dongle". Some don't even have that.