if u oc the cpu is it necessary to buy ramsinks for ur ram?

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
im new to this stuff so could someone explain what happens to the ram when u increase the fsb? and if the memory is effected then do i just buy ramsinks to cool the memory? and if i do buy ramsinks how do i put them on and where do i put them on..?

*and do u have to put the ramsinks on both sides of the ram? if so how does everything fit in then?

* and this question is like the noobiest question out there.. how do u get ram sinks on the ram if they have covers like most of the corsair ram?

* also what are ram timings?

koolaidkitten

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
when you increase the FSB you basicly are going to increase the speed of the RAM and the processor at the same time. Faster speeds/more voltage = higher temperatures. so yes the ram will get hotter.

generaly most folks put ram sinks on both sides of it is Double sided ram *if its single sided then only one side get sinks*

the covers you see in corsair ram ARE ramsinks. Theres 1 other kind of ram sink i know of. They are basicly like mini heatsinks that you put on each individual ram chip, but most folks favor the corsair type that just plain cover the whole stick of ram.

ram timings? hmm I thats not a simple question to answer. thers multiple layers to ram timing CAS RAS TAS blah blah sis boom bah. All have to do with specific things. Generaly the lower your timings the faster your ram can send/recieve data. Im sure someone else can give you a more in depth answer to ram timings. I"m too lazy to go into all of that.
Just google the subject, or look for it here on Tomshardware. They had a whole article on it not too long ago.

G

thx very much for the reply, it was very useful :D.

so for example if i had the ram and cpu which are in this pic http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=194571&highlight=

and i were to oc my cpu (E6600) to 3.4, would i need some better cooling for my ram? (note, i wont be doing anything to my ram other than increasing my fsb..)

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
i know i have asked this question at least 5 times before on these forums i really havent gotten an answer im looking for. so i will ask again.

could someone give me the name of the best water cooling system i can buy for under 300? or just over.. (i dont care if it is really quite i want it to cool molten lava :D

*im asking again because iv checked the reviews on the other water coolers people have given names to and they havent been that good.

thx very much.

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
ok so i just found a really good water cooling system, so im told.. could someone justify that please?

"Summary: The ProModz Cooled Silence Extreme Package is an outstanding kit if we put aside the leaking reservoir problem. We recommend it for purchase if its price of $270 doesn’t seem too high for you. This kit can easily cool any modern or upcoming processor. If it is indeed too expensive for you, consider the simpler and more affordable models from the same Cooled Silence series."