all in one printer?

I am looking into buying an all-in-one printer that does color and
scans/copies (ideally with a feeder and ocr-sw) while it should be of good
quality for both scanning and printing. I am looking at a price range
somewhere between 150 - 300 us.
so far, the best bet seems to be the Dell all-in-one-printer 962, which
comes with lots of features.
only things worrying me is that they insist that it only works with
win2k/xp...not that I currently use anything else, but still, I'd like to
keep the option to use it under linux...
and, as usual, what about the ink refills? can I refill myself, how much
and so on...

I'd appreciate any opinion and tips, maybe some other good printers?
maybe some feedback of people already using this dell? i'd be interested
in the ocr software, too. any good, full version?

thanks, phil

The Dell is a rebadged Lexmark. One thing to consider when purchasing a new
printer is the cost of replacement ink cartridges. The Dell's ink catridges
are usually only available from Dell. Do you really want a printer that
needs a shipping delay when you run out of ink? Or do you plan well in
advance?

Look at the HPs and the Canons All in Ones. You can get ink cartridges at
your local store and for a lot less than Dell.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

Philipp wrote:
> I am looking into buying an all-in-one printer that does color and
> scans/copies (ideally with a feeder and ocr-sw) while it should be of
> good quality for both scanning and printing. I am looking at a price
> range somewhere between 150 - 300 us.
> so far, the best bet seems to be the Dell all-in-one-printer 962, which
> comes with lots of features.
> only things worrying me is that they insist that it only works with
> win2k/xp...not that I currently use anything else, but still, I'd like
> to keep the option to use it under linux...
> and, as usual, what about the ink refills? can I refill myself, how
> much and so on...
>
> I'd appreciate any opinion and tips, maybe some other good printers?
> maybe some feedback of people already using this dell? i'd be
> interested in the ocr software, too. any good, full version?
>
> thanks, phil

I've had a Canon MP780 for about six months and have found it to be very
reliable. I'm particularly impressed with the quality of the photo
prints and the document feeder. It also makes very good copies. Also,
should you choose to use compatible ink it can be very economical to
operate. I use compatible cartridges and find my print costs for black
and white printing to rival that of a laser. Plus it is relatively easy
to refill Canon cartridges should you decide to not buy prefilled carts.

zakezuke

> only things worrying me is that they insist that it only works with
> win2k/xp...not that I currently use anything else, but still, I'd like to
> keep the option to use it under linux...

Dell 962 -aka the Lexmark X7170
http://reviews.cnet.com/Lexmark_X7170/4505-3181_7-31140260.html
-drivers (a develoeprs kit for suse and redhat)
http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/downloads.cgi?ccs=229:1:0:463:0:0&emeaframe=&target=http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/downloads.cgi&target=http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/downloads.cgi&&req=:::::

18C0034 - high yield black 29693 high yield color 18C0031 Photo

Unknown cost per page, ml, or yield

I'm not a lexmark fan, and don't know this unit personaly.

-------

Firstly I own the Canon MP760 which doesn't have the doc feeder but
does have the 35mm film transparancy adapter. The mp750 (no fax IIRC)
and mp780 (*FAX*) do. Ink most reasonable if you go OEM, easy to
refill if you don't, or spend $5.00 to $7.00 for refillable empties.
The head can be replaced if need be for $60 or $80 depending on where
you shop which is a moot point on their $100 printers but not so moot
on a multifuctional that would cost more to replace. Took me a while
to get over the sticker shock of the head, but knowing other canon
owners personaly they have never replaced a head, and even if they did
after 1.5 years or 3 years the savings in ink more than makes up for
it.

OCR software - ScanSoft Omnipage SE - Not a full version but but I have
used my copy that came with the mp760 on another scanner, so it's not
keyed to one unit. The SE version does NOT save files to PDF.

FAX - I can't speak for the mp750 only my 760. You would expect even
without onboard fax an AIO printer's software could use the microsoft
FAX: device and fax anything you scan. I couldn't define anything
other than a Canon printer from the "MP Navigator". So scanning and
printing to another printer isn't directly supported, so scanning to a
fax printer isn't supported. But the scan to e-mail defaults to .PDF
and saves all documents in a folder which can be faxed by any PDF
reader. This would not be an issue on the mp780.

What linux support do you need?

While I haven't bothered setting up printing from linux for the mp760,
it being basicly a ip4000 does have something resembling drivers from
canon.
ftp://download.canon.jp/pub/driver/bj/linux/
http://www.linuxprinting.org doesn't list any of these yet, but there
are enough reports of success to sugest it's possible.
But linux support is not a priority, and updates are seldom.
Alternativly payware from turboprint.de supports all these.

Canon isn't the best choice for linux generally speaking.

Scanning from linux well I have NO clue.
http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html It's not listed as a sane
supported printer nor do I know which USB CanoScan this scanner would
be 5200F perhaps?

CD printing - I've not successfully printed one CD on the MP yet.

"Philipp" <1234@5678.ch> wrote in message news:eek:p.ssmn3edzsnuucp@ztek...
>I am looking into buying an all-in-one printer that does color and
>scans/copies (ideally with a feeder and ocr-sw) while it should be of good
>quality for both scanning and printing. I am looking at a price range
>somewhere between 150 - 300 us.
> so far, the best bet seems to be the Dell all-in-one-printer 962, which
> comes with lots of features.
> only things worrying me is that they insist that it only works with
> win2k/xp...not that I currently use anything else, but still, I'd like to
> keep the option to use it under linux...
> and, as usual, what about the ink refills? can I refill myself, how much and
> so on...

You might take a look at the HP Officejet 7210 ($299) at
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-238444-410635-12019-f51-391152.html
or the Officejet 6210 ($199) at
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-238444-410635-12019-f51-391210.html .

Windows and MAC drivers are available from
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=391153&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&submit.y=7&submit.x=8&lang=en&cc=us .

Linux drivers are available from the HP supported Sourceforge organization at
http://hpoj.sourceforge.net/ .

Regards,

Michael Johnson, PE wrote:

> Philipp wrote:
>
>> I am looking into buying an all-in-one printer that does color and
>> scans/copies (ideally with a feeder and ocr-sw) while it should be of
>> good quality for both scanning and printing. I am looking at a price
>> range somewhere between 150 - 300 us.
>> so far, the best bet seems to be the Dell all-in-one-printer 962,

If this is a Dell Lexmark it is a piece of junk.