Epson 740 printer won't print

My Epson Stylus Color 740 printer won't print. When I try to print (in
black and white or color), nothing happens. I wait a while and finally
just cancel my print job. The light idicating that it is out of color
ink is lit up. I replaced my black and white ink cartridge but it
didn't help. I tried to clean the print head but nothing happened when
I clicked on the command to do so.

On the 740, as with many other Epsons, if you have a a solid red light
showing you will not get any printing done. On the 740 which red light is
showing? Is it the one for the black or the color? Was that cartridge
replaced by you? I have actually seen one cartridge's red light glowing
and so replace the cartridge. Then the printer goes through a charging
sequence and to my surprise another red light is showing, but this time it's
the other cartridge, because the printer was already low on that color and
the charging cycle emptied that cartridge enough to trigger the light to
start blinking on and off.
Now suppose it's the same light that is still on even after you replaced
the cartridge. Do this: hold the paper in feed button for about 3 seconds.
The printhead will move to the left. Lift up the clamp of the cartridge that
has the red light glowing and bring it down somewhat definitively again to
lock the cartridge down. There is a microswitch that is reset when this is
done that tells the printer it has a new cartridge installed. Sometimes when
a cartridge is replaced the switch is not reset if the clamping process is
not definitive enough, or it simply needs to be done again. When you've done
this push the paper infeed button again to move the head back to park
postition.

Good luck,

--
Jan Alter
bearpuf@verizon.net
<ahorsefly@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My Epson Stylus Color 740 printer won't print. When I try to print (in
> black and white or color), nothing happens. I wait a while and finally
> just cancel my print job. The light idicating that it is out of color
> ink is lit up. I replaced my black and white ink cartridge but it
> didn't help. I tried to clean the print head but nothing happened when
> I clicked on the command to do so.

If your color ink is out you will not be able to print until you replace the
cartridge. It doesn't car if you are only printing in black, it needs the
color cart. to have ink.

<ahorsefly@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My Epson Stylus Color 740 printer won't print. When I try to print (in
> black and white or color), nothing happens. I wait a while and finally
> just cancel my print job. The light idicating that it is out of color
> ink is lit up. I replaced my black and white ink cartridge but it
> didn't help. I tried to clean the print head but nothing happened when
> I clicked on the command to do so.

It sounds to me that you need to replace your color cartridge as well.

Epson printers require no cartridges are indicating empty to work.

Art

ahorsefly@yahoo.com wrote:

> My Epson Stylus Color 740 printer won't print. When I try to print (in
> black and white or color), nothing happens. I wait a while and finally
> just cancel my print job. The light idicating that it is out of color
> ink is lit up. I replaced my black and white ink cartridge but it
> didn't help. I tried to clean the print head but nothing happened when
> I clicked on the command to do so.

lacybd

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012