Graphics Card Out to TV

K1LLTACULAR

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
Hi all. Hopefully this question is in the right part of the forum. I'm building up a media computer and was wondering whether my GPU would be okay to output to my HDTV. The GPU(HERE) has DVI output and the HDTV(HERE) has HDMI input. I intend on getting either an adapter or simply a cable that runs DVI on one end and HDMI on the other.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Yup. It will work perfectly fine. Well, it should. You probably won't be getting sound, though, unless your TV can override the HDMI sound input and redirect it another input for sound it has. Video should work perfectly, though. It is freaking amazing to watch your computer on the TV, even more so a game. Have fun!

~Ibrahim~

athlium

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
I have a ATI all in wonder 9800 Pro. I use a DVI to HDMI cable to connect from my video card to my 65 inch Toshiba projection TV. and is able to run the PC using the HD input at 720 (1152x680 or something like that to get clear picture.

hope that helps.

K1LLTACULAR

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
Do you think I'll be able to output to 1280x720 for true native resolution of the HDTV? Also, I'm not concerned about getting sound to my TV, I just want it to go to my reciever. How do you output sound to an 5.1 system that isn't designed for computers? I noticed an S/PDIF (or something like that) port that mentioned coaxial and I have a coaxial input for 5.1 input on my surround sound. Would I connect the S/PDIF to the reciever?

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Yeah. You can have one display on x resolution and another on y resolution. I'm almost certain your GPU is able to display 1280x720.

What sound card do you have? I'm assuming that it only has the computer speaker jack, the head-phone looking one. What are trying to connect it to?

I think I get it. You have a 5.1 Speaker system with no computer jacks for input. They are connected to a reciever. What input does it have? Is it the reciever that has the S/PDIF? Hmmm....Is there such a thing as a headphone-jack to S/PDIF converter?

~Ibrahim~

K1LLTACULAR

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
... and I'll get 5.1?? If it is outputting a 6.1 or 7.1 signal will my 5.1 reciever still be able to handle it alrgith? Thanks again for the help.