Unprecented demandfor A64 X2s causes shortage fear

PeterGower

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
The Inquirer posted this, it says that this is because of the excellence of the X2 processors, I, personally think it`s true, but, let`s be truthfull, the real cause for this shortage is the actual price, I`m waiting to buy a new x2 processor, but there aren`t here now...

MICHAEL373

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
i reckon amd are destoryed..they were under alot of pressure because intel made a superior chip and will be able to produce them on large scale. ANd now they have took on ATI and mroe debt and probably less profits for a year as investment and mopney is spent. So I reckon theyre poor and are pawning all theyre stuff;)...ON the plus side at least they dont have millions of intel netburst rubbish to flog like intel sitting around in warehouses...I reckon theyre money and production is going into getting k8l ready

PeterGower

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
Are you saying you can't get an AMD X2 there in Paraguay?

Can't you just order one from newegg or Mwave and have them ship it to you?

And do you think I can receive it at home? my friend, here we haven`t got address, nobody knows the name of the streets, it`s the far west, but worst, by the way, two stores have received three models of am2, sempron 2800, 3000 and one athlon 3000, that`s all

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
well not sure where you come from my friend,but up here in Canada we have no shortage of dual core cpu's.At least i've been able to get them whenever i've needed one for a build.But hey stuff happens right.Good luck i hope they come your way soon.

Dahak

EVGA NF4-SLI READY MB
X2 4400+S-939
2XEVGA 7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR400 MEMORY
520WATT PSU
WD 300GIG HD
19IN.CRT MONITOR

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Are you saying you can't get an AMD X2 there in Paraguay?

Can't you just order one from newegg or Mwave and have them ship it to you?

And do you think I can receive it at home? my friend, here we haven`t got address, nobody knows the name of the streets, it`s the far west, but worst, by the way, two stores have received three models of am2, sempron 2800, 3000 and one athlon 3000, that`s all

Sorry, I didn't read your location. I assumed that you were in Asuncion. Do you have any friends or relatives in the US that could buy the CPU and ship it to a local post office or mail drop for you?

What's Paraguay like? It seems like an exotic beautiful place to me. Do you have good food and music?

david_uk

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
All those places are out of stock on athlon socket 939 dual core processors. It is the same story all over. I have been trying to get an athlon dual core processor at the reduced price they are claimed to be at, to replace my single core 3500+ but all I get is either 'out of stock for the next 2 weeks' or pay the extortionate price that my local national pc dealer is charging ie. the same price that they were 6 months ago! The so-called price cuts that amd implemented are a joke - the truth is they are inaccessable to the man on the street. Buyers that paid full price for an athlon dual core processor 6 months ago and are actually using the product are the real winners out of this farce.

calyn

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2005
My regular reseller has both the 939 and AM2 X2 CPU's in stock. They're the same pricehough, starting at 151 euro's for the X2 3800+, both 939 and AM2. Funny, every model is the same price, regardless of the socket 8O

david_uk

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
but are they near the 'cheap' price that amd claims to be selling them for?

I was quoted £188 for a socket 939 3800x2 by my local(national) pc dealer

calyn

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2005
the X2 3800+ @151 euro's is approx £105, which I think is roughly what was projected by AMD. Europe has always been more expensive than the US, in part because of the VAT between 15 and 20% depending on country.

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I visit some of my English friends in Manchester from time to time and find that many UK places just translate dollars into pounds.

If something sells for $100 in America, the UK stores just translate that into 100 Pounds which is about $191 (depending on current exchange rates), almost double. You're getting screwed. What's the current VAT? 17%? Outrageous. Money down a rat hole.

AMD X2-3800's are under $150 or about 79 Pounds here now and they're available.

If you have a trusted friends or relative in the States you could have them buy it and mail it to you. If you don't need the stock heat sink and fan with it, it would be a very small package to mail.

If you both have PayPal, it would be very easy to pay them. It's the way I sent my friends some auto parts (as "gifts") and the easiest and fastest way for them to pay me was PayPal.

Cheers,