Any problems using USB 2.0 hubs with Scanner + Printer

I'm running short on USB connections, and it occurred to me that I can
save a connection or two by using a USB 2.0 hub on my Canon Scanner,
i850, and ip4000. I can't think of any time when I'd be using more
than one simultaneously. Any known problems with this?
6 answers Last reply
More about problems hubs scanner printer

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 00:44:09 -0400, _RR <_RR@nomail.com> wrote:

    >I'm running short on USB connections, and it occurred to me that I can
    >save a connection or two by using a USB 2.0 hub on my Canon Scanner,
    >i850, and ip4000. I can't think of any time when I'd be using more
    >than one simultaneously. Any known problems with this?

    Should work fine. Of all the USB devices I have, only one caused
    trouble and that was my PDA. It wouldn't connect if the cradle was
    connected to any USB hubs but when plugged directly to PC USB port, it
    worked fine. Dunno why it is so.

    Ideally all USB devices should be fine with any USB hubs. just make
    sure you use USB 2.0 hubs when using USB 2.0 devices or it'd be
    reduced to 1.1 speed.

    "_RR" <_RR@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > I'm running short on USB connections, and it occurred to me that I can
    > save a connection or two by using a USB 2.0 hub on my Canon Scanner,
    > i850, and ip4000. I can't think of any time when I'd be using more
    > than one simultaneously. Any known problems with this?

    Works for me.

    "_RR" <_RR@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > I'm running short on USB connections, and it occurred to me that I can
    > save a connection or two by using a USB 2.0 hub on my Canon Scanner,
    > i850, and ip4000. I can't think of any time when I'd be using more
    > than one simultaneously. Any known problems with this?

    As far as I know there is no reason why you couldn't use both at the same
    time - that is the point of a hub.

    "Caitlin" <caitlin_online_nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "_RR" <_RR@nomail.com> wrote in message
    >> I'm running short on USB connections, and it occurred to me that I can
    >> save a connection or two by using a USB 2.0 hub on my Canon Scanner,
    >> i850, and ip4000. I can't think of any time when I'd be using more
    >> than one simultaneously. Any known problems with this?
    >>
    > As far as I know there is no reason why you couldn't use both at the same
    > time - that is the point of a hub.
    Nothing wrong with using a hub. You can use them at the same time- But I
    would get a self-powered one (one that has it's own power supply). Some USB
    devices draw power through the USB cable. Many of the USB hub problems I
    have encountered were caused too much current drain and were solved by a
    self powered hub.

    Mark

    "Impmon" <impmon@digi.mon> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 00:44:09 -0400, _RR <_RR@nomail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I'm running short on USB connections, and it occurred to me that I can
    > >save a connection or two by using a USB 2.0 hub on my Canon Scanner,
    > >i850, and ip4000. I can't think of any time when I'd be using more
    > >than one simultaneously. Any known problems with this?
    >
    > Should work fine. Of all the USB devices I have, only one caused
    > trouble and that was my PDA. It wouldn't connect if the cradle was
    > connected to any USB hubs but when plugged directly to PC USB port, it
    > worked fine. Dunno why it is so.

    Had same problem with my early model IPAQ Pocket PC.

    You would have to use a mains powered hub.

    "_RR" <_RR@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > I'm running short on USB connections, and it occurred to me that I can
    > save a connection or two by using a USB 2.0 hub on my Canon Scanner,
    > i850, and ip4000. I can't think of any time when I'd be using more
    > than one simultaneously. Any known problems with this?

Printers Scanners USB Peripherals