Need ethernet -> wireless bridge recommendations

I have an older computer with only an ethernet port (no USB and no
available slots) that I'd like to connect into an existing wireless
(802.11b would be fine) network. If I had a more modern machine of
course I could get a USB -> wireless adapter, or maybe even a PCI or
similar card, but that solution isn't possible for this machine. I
can't find *any* hardware that advertizes itself as a bridge of that
kind, but it looks like some of the ones called access points might be
able to work that way. Some of those do talk about being able to
work as either a client or server, but the specs in general don't seem
to say. Does anyone know which access points, or possibly even
routers, some of which are cheapter than access points, would be able
to do the job I want done?

Sue Hanson
4 answers Last reply
More about need ethernet wireless bridge recommendations

    Sue Hanson wrote:

    > I have an older computer with only an ethernet port (no USB and no
    > available slots) that I'd like to connect into an existing wireless
    > (802.11b would be fine) network. If I had a more modern machine of
    > course I could get a USB -> wireless adapter, or maybe even a PCI or
    > similar card, but that solution isn't possible for this machine. I
    > can't find *any* hardware that advertizes itself as a bridge of that
    > kind, but it looks like some of the ones called access points might be
    > able to work that way. Some of those do talk about being able to
    > work as either a client or server, but the specs in general don't seem
    > to say. Does anyone know which access points, or possibly even
    > routers, some of which are cheapter than access points, would be able
    > to do the job I want done?

    There's a popular configuration these days for a network appliance that
    consists of a 4-port Ethernet switch bridted to a WAP, with a
    router/firewall going to a fifth Ethernet port.

    A couple of examples would be the Netgear MR814 and the Linksys BEFW11S4.
    Either of those would do what you're asking.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    In article <b21d2386.0406010744.3ef8a681@posting.google.com>, sue_h_7777
    @yahoo.com says...
    > I have an older computer with only an ethernet port (no USB and no
    > available slots) that I'd like to connect into an existing wireless
    > (802.11b would be fine) network. If I had a more modern machine of
    > course I could get a USB -> wireless adapter, or maybe even a PCI or
    > similar card, but that solution isn't possible for this machine. I
    > can't find *any* hardware that advertizes itself as a bridge of that
    > kind, but it looks like some of the ones called access points might be
    > able to work that way. Some of those do talk about being able to
    > work as either a client or server, but the specs in general don't seem
    > to say. Does anyone know which access points, or possibly even
    > routers, some of which are cheapter than access points, would be able
    > to do the job I want done?

    What you need is an Access Point for your wireless NICs. *Then* you
    need to pick up a bridge as well. The bridge will talk to your NIC and
    pass along the packets to the wireless NIC.

    So AP --wireless------bridge -- cable ---NIC

    --

    hsb

    Sue Hanson <sue_h_7777@yahoo.com> wrote:
    :I have an older computer with only an ethernet port (no USB and no
    :available slots) that I'd like to connect into an existing wireless
    :(802.11b would be fine) network. If I had a more modern machine of
    :course I could get a USB -> wireless adapter, or maybe even a PCI or
    :similar card, but that solution isn't possible for this machine. I
    :can't find *any* hardware that advertizes itself as a bridge of that
    :kind, but it looks like some of the ones called access points might be
    :able to work that way.

    A good group for wireless related questions is alt.internet.wireless .

    What you are looking for is a Wireless Bridge. They are made by
    a few different manufacturers. Linksys has at least two,
    Dlink has at least two that are hard to tell apart (watch the
    model numbers carefully!!); and if I recall correctly, SMC has at
    least one. In higher price ranges, aimed at different markets,
    Cisco makes at least two.

    If you just want to find -something- and you are not interested in
    the fine details about relative strengths and weaknesses of the various
    models, then I would suggest to you that you get a Linksys WET11.
    A single WET11 *might* be all you need: it is compatable with some
    access points (including some by different manufacturers) but not
    compatable with all models by all manufacturers, as the relevant
    technologies are not standardized as yet. But depending on the
    exact equipment on the other side of the link, it is possible that
    you might need a second WET11 -- or I can say from personal
    experience that the WET11 will connect without difficulty to
    Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless Routers.

    If you would like to investigate the fine details of the models
    in more detail, I suggest that you check the google group
    archives of alt.internet.wireless first, and then post in
    that newsgroup.

    I would particularily caution that the Linksys WAP11 is less
    expensive and looks from the specs to do much the same thing
    as the WET11, but that in practice the WAP11 only communicates
    with other WAP11's (whereas the WET11 is more flexible in what
    it will talk to.)
    --
    "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics."
    -- not Twain, perhaps Disraeli, first quoted by Leonard Courtney

    Walter Roberson wrote:

    > I would particularily caution that the Linksys WAP11 is less
    > expensive and looks from the specs to do much the same thing
    > as the WET11, but that in practice the WAP11 only communicates
    > with other WAP11's (whereas the WET11 is more flexible in what
    > it will talk to.)

    ALL the older atmel chipset based access points can be hacked into being
    bridges. Or even clients! Goes for WAP11's (ver 1.x only) some belkins,
    some netgears.

    There is a utility program that you can download to do it. Google
    seartch on "wap11 hack" and "seattle wireless". Most of the online web
    stuff about the utility is geared toward using it to boost the
    trasmission of the WAP11's to 100db, but the utility can also be used to
    make the access points into bridges or clients. In fact I have 2 Belkin
    model#f5d6130 802.11b access points - one set up as an access point and
    the other set up as a CLIENT of it, which is connected to a switch,
    effectively briding that switch to our main ethernet segment via the
    access point. The belkins I think cost me 50 bucks each a year ago.

    --
    Copyright 2004 T. Sean Weintz
    This post may be copied freely without

    ALSO - FWIW, The following WHOIS Record is years out of date:
    Weintz, Sean (SW2893) tweintz@MAIL.IDT.NET
    Sean Weintz
    462 Sixth Street , #A
    Brooklyn, NY 11215