Seagate vs Hitachi

geronimo

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hello. I have Asus a7N Deluxe (nForce2) and need 2 HDDs for RAID 0. I'm considering Seagate
Barracuda 7200.9 160gb - ST3160812AS and Hitachi 160gb - GST T7K250 - HDT722516DLA380. Which ones
would you recommend for this system or which one is better/faster for RAID 0. The goal is playing
games and coding video as well as drawing in AutoCAD. Also I heard that Seagate 250gb Barracuda 7200.10, 16MB
is maybe the best choice for RAID 0 but how noticable would the increase in performanse be versus 8mb
2x 160gb (Seagate or Hitachi)? Thanks.

geronimo

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
oh, come on peope, doesn't anyone have some suggestions :(? also how big "stripesize" should I set, and later when I make NTFS how big the "clustersize" shouls be? thanks.

Raptors have better response time, but the Seagate the OP mentioned has the highest data throughput of any drives out there. The performance about equals out (Seagate finishing a close second), but the Seagate is a LOT cheaper than the Raptor.

bates747

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2004
Hitachi left a bad taste in my mouth when they were manufactured under the IBM label. Had 2 of the Deathstars go bad on me after a year. They might have improved since then but I avoid em.

For the Stripe/Clustersize, you might want to check out the Raid tutorial thats stickied at the top of the forum. For what its worth, I read somewhere that Microsoft has stated that XP was optimized for the 4kb clustersize.

Good luck~

geronimo

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hitachi left a bad taste in my mouth when they were manufactured under the IBM label. Had 2 of the Deathstars go bad on me after a year. They might have improved since then but I avoid em.

For the Stripe/Clustersize, you might want to check out the Raid tutorial thats stickied at the top of the forum. For what its worth, I read somewhere that Microsoft has stated that XP was optimized for the 4kb clustersize.

Good luck~

I'll take a look at the Guide again. I gues I miss that info ;). thanks.