Sign in with
Your question

Seagate vs Hitachi

Last response: in Storage
August 10, 2006 12:50:26 PM

Hello. I have Asus a7N Deluxe (nForce2) and need 2 HDDs for RAID 0. I'm considering Seagate
Barracuda 7200.9 160gb - ST3160812AS and Hitachi 160gb - GST T7K250 - HDT722516DLA380. Which ones
would you recommend for this system or which one is better/faster for RAID 0. The goal is playing
games and coding video as well as drawing in AutoCAD. Also I heard that Seagate 250gb Barracuda 7200.10, 16MB
is maybe the best choice for RAID 0 but how noticable would the increase in performanse be versus 8mb
2x 160gb (Seagate or Hitachi)? Thanks.

More about : seagate hitachi

August 10, 2006 10:24:43 PM

oh, come on peope, doesn't anyone have some suggestions :( ? also how big "stripesize" should I set, and later when I make NTFS how big the "clustersize" shouls be? thanks.
a b G Storage
August 10, 2006 10:38:13 PM

Any reason for not going with WD Rapters?
Related resources
a b G Storage
August 10, 2006 11:28:52 PM

Raptors have better response time, but the Seagate the OP mentioned has the highest data throughput of any drives out there. The performance about equals out (Seagate finishing a close second), but the Seagate is a LOT cheaper than the Raptor.
August 11, 2006 12:30:36 AM

Hitachi left a bad taste in my mouth when they were manufactured under the IBM label. Had 2 of the Deathstars go bad on me after a year. They might have improved since then but I avoid em.

For the Stripe/Clustersize, you might want to check out the Raid tutorial thats stickied at the top of the forum. For what its worth, I read somewhere that Microsoft has stated that XP was optimized for the 4kb clustersize.

Good luck~
August 11, 2006 5:35:39 AM

Raptors are defenetly to expensive for me :( .
August 11, 2006 5:37:03 AM

Quote:
Hitachi left a bad taste in my mouth when they were manufactured under the IBM label. Had 2 of the Deathstars go bad on me after a year. They might have improved since then but I avoid em.

For the Stripe/Clustersize, you might want to check out the Raid tutorial thats stickied at the top of the forum. For what its worth, I read somewhere that Microsoft has stated that XP was optimized for the 4kb clustersize.

Good luck~

I'll take a look at the Guide again. I gues I miss that info ;) . thanks.
!