Sign in with
Your question

Loyalty to Nvidia/ati or worship the best value.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays

Do you constantly buy graphics cards from Nvidia or ATI?

Total: 79 votes

• Yes. I always buy Nvidia cards.
  • 21 %
  • Yes. I always buy ATI cards.
  • 12 %
  • No. I scour the internet for the best deal and mercilessly backstab the last vendor/video-card I was using even if it means I save only $5-20 dollars.
  • 57 %
  • Yes. I always buy from Nvidia/ATI. In fact I even have a favorite maker that I always buy from ______.
  • 12 %
August 10, 2006 1:29:14 PM

Just curious if anyone is loyal to nvidia or ati. Oh and please only answer if you have bought 3 or more cards!
August 10, 2006 1:31:19 PM

I could care less if it's ATI or Nvidia or what retailer I buy it from (as long as they're reputable), I'm looking solely at price/performance ratio.
August 10, 2006 1:31:27 PM

I always look for the best card for my money. I don't care which company it's from.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 10, 2006 1:34:17 PM

I always look to see what I need to buy to beat Intel, then I know I'm better than most people! 8)
August 10, 2006 2:03:47 PM

I've bought 2 (4 in total) cards from both,

I loved my Gf3 ti500, awesome card at the time (was supposed to run Doom3 hahaha :D  when it was released)

I'm now using Ati, but like the others have said its based on a cost to performance scale. I feel its called sense really. I never buy the top end (bar that gf3) cos its truly a waste of money i dont have.

Dont know what card i'll get next as it means a mobo upgrade aswell, but i am truly madly deeply in love with my x800xt PE at the moment <3 :p 
August 10, 2006 2:39:28 PM

I have bought several of each manufacturers cards and i honestly can say that although Ati does give better shader and performance,I've always had a problem with driver support from Ati.So I have been buying Nvidia for the last year and a bit for the most part.I should let you know I build systems for fun and profit.(not much profit these days).I'm also a gamer and I thoroughly enjoy cs and farcry as well as several other games.I will say however that third party driver support for nvidia is almost non existant,so you are stuck with what drivers nvidia produces and although the drivers are good,I like to try different things to check out performance so it would be nice to see an actual site that supports nvidia drivers(it seems that omega drivers stopped supporting nvidia cards with new drivers over a year ago).Just my take on things.

Dahak

EVGA NF4-SLI MB
ACE 520WATT PSU
AMD 4400+ DUAL CORE @2.4
EVGA 7800GT(SECOND ONE HERE SOON FOR SLI)
WD 300GIG HD
2X1GIG SAMSUNG DDR400
19IN EXTREME CRT MONITOR
August 10, 2006 2:42:15 PM

i started off with Nvidia with a Geforce2 MX 200 which quickly ^ed to a Geforce3 Ti500. then Nvidia pissed me off by releasing the Geforce4 series...didnt get a new card for ages cause i went off to boarding school for a year before getting back into building PCs.
Because Nvidia Pissed me off i defected to ATI which was bitching cause the 9000 series was soo much better at directX 9 then Geforce5 series...
then my 9600XT burned out, replaced it with a 9800pro, that never worked properly, i think it was DOA, but never found out. so cause my 9800 disapointed me i went back to nvidia this time with a 7900GT, which my mates kept on telling me to get...i think that X1900XT was prob better, but they kept the pessure on me...and the fact that they all had Nvidia, made sense cause if one of our cards died then we could test it on another's machine without having to reinstall the drivers

edit: Just remembered my first card Voodoo2
which makes it
Nvidia:3
ATI:2
3dfx:1
6 in all (that i remember)
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 10, 2006 2:49:47 PM

There are a ton of moded nV drivers. Go to Guru3D to get some like the NGO drivers. Omega stopped the nV drivers because he wasn't getting much help from them (whereas ATi was giving him early release betas to work with), in fact nV even threatened his site saying that his nV drivers were bad and dangerous for people. :roll:

Anywhoo, if you take the time to look there are more than enough options out there, which is similar to the situation with cards.
August 10, 2006 2:52:37 PM

I don't get why everyone compares the 7900GT to the X1900XT. They're not in competition with each other. The 7900GT's competition is the X1800XT, and X1900XT would stomp a 7900GT.
August 10, 2006 3:02:04 PM

I have only had 2 graphics cards in my life (that I actually picked out and installed) my first was a Raedon 9600 pro which I had for 2 years. Now I have had my Geforce 6800 for about 2 years. I really like both of them and would never claim loyalty to either.
August 10, 2006 3:04:30 PM

Quote:
I don't get why everyone compares the 7900GT to the X1900XT. They're not in competition with each other. The 7900GT's competition is the X1800XT, and X1900XT would stomp a 7900GT.

Yes indeed. :twisted:

I definitely buy the best price/performance/quality deal at the time based on my budget. I take $X and determine what the best deal is @ that price anytime I upgrade.

last 3 cards were ati, 2 before that were Nv. Honestly, my last Nv card was a gf3ti200. It still runs strong in an older system I gave to my brother. My tnt2 before that is also running strong. I think that each time I have bought a card, I have gotten the step or two below the very top except once... and that was the 9700pro when it came out (end of 2002?) I have been on ati since then, and that is only b/c each time they are the winners. Nv has made some good cards though, I am just off a bit from their "win cycle". lol
August 10, 2006 3:05:02 PM

I have bought several of both companies cards over the years. I started off with an ATI Mach 64 as my first "Accelerated" card. I've had the Voodoo's (one of each version), Had the flagship of every G-Force model up until the G-Force 4 family. Then my AIW9700Pro kicked a$$ and I have been back with ATI ever since with an AIWx800. I prefer ATI (mostly patriotic as both ATI and I are Canadian), but we'll see how things go with the AMD/ATI merger. Who knows, now that I have a family I may have to start going with the more modest budget cards. :?
August 10, 2006 3:20:05 PM

Quote:
No. I scour the internet for the best deal and mercilessly backstab the last vendor/video-card I was using even if it means I save only $5-20 dollars.
I'm backstabbing them by not buying their inferior product for more money? If anything they're be backstabbing me, the loyal customer.
August 10, 2006 3:25:49 PM

bingo.

back in the day, I went from a rage128 to an riva tnt2 simply b/c of ati's driver support which at the time of the tnt2 was pretty wanting...

...that is a slap against me, the one who pays their bills. ;)  I feel the gf5 was Nv's slap against their customers.
August 10, 2006 3:26:30 PM

Quote:
Just curious if anyone is loyal to nvidia or ati. Oh and please only answer if you have bought 3 or more cards!

i like intel extreme graphics 8O :D  8O :D  8O :D  8O :D  8O
August 10, 2006 3:27:16 PM

8O
August 10, 2006 3:45:08 PM

:roll:
August 10, 2006 4:22:03 PM

Quote:

i would guess its the model numbering system
think about it
6600 = X600
6800= X800
same with
7800=X1800
7900=X1900
because the numbering system makes it seem as though they are, also i thought that like the 7800 the X1800 is no longer in production
August 10, 2006 4:27:44 PM

That makes sense. I pretty much don't pay any attention to the naming conventions of card series' when comparing cards. As far as I know though, the X1800XT is still being produced.
August 10, 2006 4:37:20 PM

either that or there is a huge stock leftover... ;) 
August 10, 2006 4:56:21 PM

i got for which card is a better preformer for whichever games im playin at the time ;) 
August 10, 2006 5:02:51 PM

Even with the numbering system, the X1900XT is coming pretty close to the 7900GTs price range, only like $30 away, other times the price actually overlaps. This is in anticipation of the X1950XT which has been beating the 7950GX2 in quite a few prelim. benchmarks. 8O

To the topic, I really just look for a price/performance ratio. First card was a ATI Rage card that I upgraded from some onboard. Damn, did it feel good. I think I paid $$$ for it, can't remember, too long ago, lol.

Then was a GeForce 4 Ti 4600 which used to be the top-dog in its generation. Still have it and it runs very good.

Finally I had a X1300 in a office system (which has a PCI-e x16 slot which makes me feel jealous! lol) and it helped plenty and now the computer finally has a full 1GB of system memory..

I can't really pick any one of those choices because I gauge a GPU on

1.Price/performance ratio
2. Modified Cooling/Features
3.Games/accessories included

As you can see, modified cooling and features have a tie. If most/all the cards have stock cooling, it is down to features, like VIVO or overclockability. Games and accessories are last as they are great to have, but they should be the icing on the cake or the cherry on top, not the center piece. Free stuff is good, though. I like how Sapphire has "Sapphire Select" in which they give you like 4 games and you try the demos and can pick one for the full version, free! Very good. Not that I would, but I'd love four free games over one.

~Ibrahim~
August 10, 2006 5:22:48 PM

I'll give you a good reason why you shouldn't care about brand loyalty.

The GeForceFX line.
August 10, 2006 5:24:12 PM

I buy whatever I like and want at the moment, more than the chipset there was a time where what I liked was the manufacturer.

I got my Diamond S3 Virge with 2Mb of ram, and I just loved Diamond.

So after that I bought a Voodoo 1 from Diamond also, amazing card by the time.

After that I couldnt get the Vooodoo 2 from DIamond so i bought the Voodoo Blaster 2 from Creative, 12 Mb of pure power, hehehehe.

I also bought for my 2D videocard a Intel 740 was pretty decent by the time.

Just after that I got a Ati Radeon Pro all in wonder, I still have it is AGP and is somewhere in my old stuff it still work flawless great card to watch TV and record stuff.

Then It was time to get a fester videocard the Voodoo 2 was not enough, so I got the Riva TNT 2 32Mb also from creative, that was a videocard hahahaha.

I didnt have the money to buy nothing until the GF4 so I bought the GF4 Ti 4600 from Visiontek that card was a monster I still have it in an old PC.

Then I got a Geforce 6600gt from XFX and that is the one I still have it was nice but now is not that good anymore, I am mounting a new RIG and I will go with the ATI X1900XT from MSI.

So I go with brand of manufacturer.
August 10, 2006 5:26:57 PM

Quote:
I didnt have the money to buy nothing until the GF4 so I bought the GF4 Ti 4600 from Visiontek that card was a monster I still have it in an old PC.

GeForce 4 Ti 4600 FTW!!!

Quote:
I'll give you a good reason why you shouldn't care about brand loyalty.

The GeForceFX line.

One reason I chose not to upgrade the GPU and wait for the 6-series. Still didn't upgrade, lol, but...

~Ibrahim~
August 10, 2006 5:52:33 PM

Quote:

My decision about which video card I'll be buying depends on my mobo selection. The price is also an important factor (in second place).

I mean, even though an ATI card would work just fine on a nForce mobo (and vice-versa), I don't like mixing things up. I'm after perfomance and reliability. I'm not saying that if you mix ATI and Nvidia a black hole is going to swallow your PC or something, it's just, you know, paranoia. :lol: 

Sooo, I know that if I'm buying AMD, that has to go with an nForce chipset (ATI's Xpress are also good), therefore, Nvidia chipset = Nvidia video card. Simple. 8)

If I'd buy Intel, that has to go with an Intel chipset, and ATI video card. I never liked Intel so far (Core 2 Duo rocks!), so I never had an ATI Radeon.

So there goes my vote for Nvidia. :trophy:
August 10, 2006 6:06:47 PM

Hay now.
You left out the Creative Blaster and Vodoo line of cards. I was running SLI before windows 2000 was out.

Personaly I like the best usefull features in a card, which is why I like ATI for current gen. But Matrox has some great multiview cards out now, but I doubt anyone is running 6 19in LCD monitors for their games.
August 10, 2006 6:10:08 PM

Quote:
But Maxtor has some great multiview cards out now, but I doubt anyone is running 6 19in LCD monitors for their games.

You got confused. Maxtor was an HDD manufacturer. Was bought by Seagate not so long ago.
I think you mean Matrox. :wink:
August 10, 2006 6:12:26 PM

I did and I fixed that thanks. Matrox cards are great too, they have some good cards, I wish TH would bench them too just for fun.
August 10, 2006 6:15:42 PM

Yeah, they could bench some XGIs too. :roll:
August 10, 2006 6:37:47 PM

Matrox had great cards?? I forgot to mention in my previous post that I also bought a Matrox Mystique 3d Accelerator (decerator) card. I had the worst time with that card. Vowed to never buy Matrox again, and I never will. :twisted:
August 10, 2006 6:42:17 PM

Sure. The matrox 450 dual head something or another replaced my geforce 2 ultra and played Soldier of Fortune just fine. Geforce 3 wasnt out yet IDT.
August 10, 2006 6:51:26 PM

I've had a tnt2, Diamond Kyro2, ati rage 128 pro, Radeon VE, Gforce4600, ATI Radeon 9700 PRO, and now a nVidia 7600gt. I have no preference, just give me the best for my money period.
August 10, 2006 8:29:09 PM

eVGA Nvidia All the Way!
August 10, 2006 9:11:27 PM

Quote:
eVGA Nvidia All the Way!

Wonder what he voted for. Prolly ATi.

~Ibrahim~
August 10, 2006 9:46:08 PM

I don't care about the $5-10 dollars as much as I care about what gives the best performance at the time I'm looking. Five dollars isn't as important to me as how long the card will give me the use I want from it.
August 11, 2006 2:41:19 AM

i've always switched brands, never had a favourite, though there are some that i will never buy from again as they have really disappointed me. elsa comes to mind there.
I usually go for the cheaper one since i'm often on a very limited budget, and when it comes to stuff like a 7900 pre OC v.s. a vannila 7900, id go for the vannila and overclock it myself, havnt had any problems doing it before
August 11, 2006 3:10:06 AM

I get the best card for my dollar, and I buy it from newegg.

Before this X600, I had a Dell with a GF2. It played every game that I wanted until 2004, when I got an X600 (along with an HP computer which fried its CPU/mobo). After I got a new CPU/mobo/case/PSU, I kept using my video card. This X600 was decent in 2004 (after all, it was THE first PCIe video card on the market), but it's starting to fall behind in new games.

If I were shopping for video cards right now, I'd probably get that X1800XT for $200 on newegg.
August 11, 2006 3:50:20 AM

Quote:

My first card was the ATI All-in-Wonder 128 Pro 32MB AGP, which looking back, was a mistake only due to its lack of official T&L support. After that, I bought a GeForce4 MX420 *PCI* card for my older rig that didn't have an AGP slot...another mistake. The best card for the money thus far (until my x700 Pro comes that is) was that GeForce 4 Ti4200 64MB card. Got it used for $50 2.5 years ago. It runs WoW, Star Wars: EAW, KOTOR I and II, and most other games made till this year flawlessly, only w/o PS 2.0. Nonetheless, it was simply the best investment as it was raw speed with a deceiving model number (it bests the FX5200, 5300, 5500, and 5600 cards as far as speed is concerned!). Now, as you know, I have that Inno3D listed in my sig. Sure, it beats the heck outta the Ti4200, but man it was a mistake for the money.

My upcoming radeon x700 Pro looks like it will be tough to beat for under $50.

Oh, forgot that SiS 305 PCI video card I got for $30 for a friend too, but you guys can guess as to how it fared...especially since SiS isn't even a graphics vendor category here on the forumz :roll:
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2006 4:00:42 AM

Quote:
My first card was the ATI All-in-Wonder 128 Pro 32MB AGP

I am still using that exact card in my everyday internet/email/MS office rig. I'm on that machine right now with a 320x240 Seinfeld window up. I love the card but true even back in it's prime it was never a top notch contender for gaming.
a c 363 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 11, 2006 4:39:48 AM

Whichever gives me the best performance for the money I want to spend.

$250 - $350.
August 11, 2006 4:49:55 AM

Im very sorry, but i am entirley an Ati fanboy

my very first graphics card was a nvidia, i dont even know what type it was because i did not know anything about computers then (3 years ago) and it was quite nice

since then i have gone with Ati every time, my dad has an AiW, my borther has integrated, and i have an old 9200 (which does not argue Ati's case well) soon to be a X1800GTO, and other computers i assisted in buying have Ati
(unfortunatley people would ignore me over intel's brandpower and go with a P4)

Somewhat because they are canadian :) 

I cant actually justify it, but i figure performance is always reasonably close so its not as though its hindering me

of course if nvidia had a signifigant advantage i would go with them
August 11, 2006 2:04:45 PM

Quote:
Im very sorry, but i am entirley an Ati fanboy

my very first graphics card was a nvidia, i dont even know what type it was because i did not know anything about computers then (3 years ago) and it was quite nice

since then i have gone with Ati every time, my dad has an AiW, my borther has integrated, and i have an old 9200 (which does not argue Ati's case well) soon to be a X1800GTO, and other computers i assisted in buying have Ati
(unfortunatley people would ignore me over intel's brandpower and go with a P4)

Somewhat because they are canadian :) 

I cant actually justify it, but i figure performance is always reasonably close so its not as though its hindering me

of course if nvidia had a signifigant advantage i would go with them

so am I to understand that:

A. you don't like Nv but do not know what type the only Nv card you had was, yet you liked the performance and it did well?!

B. you are an ati fanboi and yet have only owned one ati card, and it is one of the dumpier, worst performing one in their lineup?!

8O :? :roll:

wow, got nothin else to say... just wow.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 11, 2006 2:38:00 PM

LOL!

I still have the AIW 128 16MB PCI card at home, got it back from a friend out east.

It was the 'backup' card for everything.

Too bad you can't use the AIW feature alongside and AGP card (never could find a hack), or else it would've been in alonside all my previous cards until the end. Playing Morrowind on it was interesting after coming back from the RageFury Pro and AIW8500, it was like 'AWwww everything shiny is dull again, and slow as mollasses [not surprising since the min req. was 32mb card]).
August 11, 2006 2:38:58 PM

I like ati but i also like nvidia.to me,the best customer support and driver utilization is usually the deciding factor.although the last year has been mainly nvidia for me i do sometimes buy ati depending on the application.

Dahak

EVGA NF4-SLI MB
ACE 520WATT PSU
AMD 4400+ DUAL CORE @2.4
EVGA 7800GT(SECOND ONE HERE SOON FOR SLI)
WD 300GIG HD
2X1GIG SAMSUNG DDR400
19IN EXTREME CRT MONITOR
August 11, 2006 3:31:30 PM

I choose what's best for my application. Price and driver support are important factors. Support for planned OS etc... I currently own many parts from both companies. My HTPC has an ATI all-In-Wonder 9600. My work notebook has a mobile radeon, My gaming Rig has a NX6800GT and my personal laptop sports a 448GO 64MB.

My next laptop will have a 7900GS most likely, because I like to play Quake4 on Linux and Nvidia's drivers are easier to manage at this time.

They each have their strengths in the right applications.
August 11, 2006 4:36:34 PM

lol. Even though the wording of this poll was obviously slanted toward making people who buy for price/performance feel like disloyal bastards, the results clearly show that the majority of people buy for the best deal, not to remain loyal to a company even if their product in the segment is not as good as the competitor's.

I'm proud of you, lads! :D 
August 11, 2006 5:43:55 PM

It would appear that there is still a little uncommon sense left in some of us.

Perhaps I was a bit rash hoping for that meteor to come and take us all out.
August 11, 2006 6:03:13 PM

i can't say that i have a preference but it basically goes like this for me. With every upgrade i choose one (which ever is the best value) if something happens then that company gets the boot until i upgrade next.

eg.

I recently bought a 7900 GTX it crapped out on me due to a MANUFACTURER defect. so i said, sorry nvidia you lost this round and got my self a X1900XT :D 

eventough though i have bought the following nvidia cards

Geforce 2 MX, Geforce 3, Geforce 4 ti-4200, geforce 6600 GT OC, Geforce FX 5200, Geforce 7900 GTX (didn't last long)
August 11, 2006 6:10:03 PM

Even though I do agree that ATI looks better, I still only buy nVidia, why?

Because I have yet to have a problem with any of their cards, had a 5200, 5500, 6200, and a 7800GTX in different systems with no problems. All it took was my friends ATI card that would not work in his system and he had to trade it for an nVidia card.

Unless nVidia gives me problems, i'll never change. But... this could have all went the other way if i'd bought ATI first.

If it aint broken, don't fix it.
!