Epson R300 - "this is not a genuine cartridge" warning

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 20, 2005 7:15:02 PM

Does anyone know how to get rid of this stupid stupd warning that comes up
EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU PRINT SOMETHING?? (Sorry for shouting!)

To Epson: I KNOW it's not a genuine cartridge, I bought it. I installed it. I
am grown up enough to take responsibilities for my own actions. I bought it
because yours are too expensive and I don't like being mugged. Telling me and
forcing me to click that stupid button every single time is only making me
less and less inclined to ever buy an Epson product ever again....

Cheers
Ant
June 20, 2005 7:15:03 PM

<I>Does anyone know how to get rid of this stupid stupd warning that
comes up
EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU PRINT SOMETHING??</I>

(pardon my lack of a shift, my right shift key gave out today)

are these refills or prefills?

I never got that warning on my epson, except for some OEM carts bought
at office depot. I also saw someone reposting news about epson going
after the great old hong kong and taiwan chip makers. the only way
around this that I'm presently aware of is to

1. buy chips, attach and remove them for each replacement
2. use epson chips, use a resetter, apply and use
3. third party drivers? (never had cause to try them).

what is probally most annoying is the whole technique of drop counting,
and that 10% margin of error, leaving always at least 3ml of ink in the
cart. I've found that 5 to 7 empties = one full one.
June 20, 2005 7:20:23 PM

>Until the printhead burns out.

This is somehwhat a fair comment. Keep in mind in contrast to Epson
which again works just fine 'till the printhead burns out or clogs. I
don't know if the Canon warranty covers the printhead, others here
would sugest it doesn't. But Epson does for a year as it's not a
consumable or end user replaceable. Mine was replaced wth a referb,
but I don't know if this is the norm. With a referb you get a free
pack of ink.
June 20, 2005 7:25:26 PM

Go out and buy a Canon. The cheaper alternative is to use OEM ink.

Anthony Hughes wrote:

>Does anyone know how to get rid of this stupid stupd warning that comes up
>EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU PRINT SOMETHING?? (Sorry for shouting!)
>
>To Epson: I KNOW it's not a genuine cartridge, I bought it. I installed it. I
>am grown up enough to take responsibilities for my own actions. I bought it
>because yours are too expensive and I don't like being mugged. Telling me and
>forcing me to click that stupid button every single time is only making me
>less and less inclined to ever buy an Epson product ever again....
>
>Cheers
>Ant

June 20, 2005 8:04:02 PM

I assume that you would like to continue to use compatable cartridges on
your epson printer. I expect that someone on this NG who uses Epson printers
can guide you on purchasing compatable Epson cartridges that will work
better than the ones you purchased. The post by Measekite suggests that you
should buy a Canon printer instead and use OEM inks. That is not the answer
to the question you posed. He doesn't use Epson printers, and he advises
against the use of aftermarket inks and carts although he has never used
them either.

If you are interested in following his unsolicited advice to buy a Canon
printer you should know that, so far, Canon printers are not chipped and do
not have a mechanism for detecting or rejecting aftermarket cartridges. OEM
Canon bci-6 carts are $12 retail and some are available at Costco for $9.
Compatable cartridges are available from many reliable vendors from $2 up.
Refilling with MIS or Formulabs inks cost about $1 per cartridge. Read Neil
Slade's info at http://www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff.html and check
out http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/

You might go onto the Nifty forum and ask the question you posed here as
someone there may have the answer for you on the Epson problem.

"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
> Go out and buy a Canon. The cheaper alternative is to use OEM ink.
>
> Anthony Hughes wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know how to get rid of this stupid stupd warning that comes up
>>EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU PRINT SOMETHING?? (Sorry for shouting!)
>>
>>To Epson: I KNOW it's not a genuine cartridge, I bought it. I installed
>>it. I am grown up enough to take responsibilities for my own actions. I
>>bought it because yours are too expensive and I don't like being mugged.
>>Telling me and forcing me to click that stupid button every single time is
>>only making me less and less inclined to ever buy an Epson product ever
>>again....
>>
>>Cheers
>>Ant

June 20, 2005 8:08:16 PM

I have the same printer and no message. I assume you are using Windows, so
go into msconfig into start-up and untick the line that is causing the
problem.

"Anthony Hughes" <ahughes@NOSPAMrm.com> wrote in message
news:D 96mhn$htn$1@newsfeed.th.ifl.net...
> Does anyone know how to get rid of this stupid stupd warning that comes up
> EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU PRINT SOMETHING?? (Sorry for shouting!)
>
> To Epson: I KNOW it's not a genuine cartridge, I bought it. I installed
it. I
> am grown up enough to take responsibilities for my own actions. I bought
it
> because yours are too expensive and I don't like being mugged. Telling me
and
> forcing me to click that stupid button every single time is only making me
> less and less inclined to ever buy an Epson product ever again....
>
> Cheers
> Ant

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 9:44:45 PM

Burt wrote:

>I assume that you would like to continue to use compatable cartridges on
>your epson printer.

Compatible is an over used word. Every body says that about any
aftermarket product even if they do not work well and sometimes not at all.

>I expect that someone on this NG who uses Epson printers
>can guide you on purchasing compatable Epson cartridges that will work
>better than the ones you purchased. The post by Measekite suggests that you
>should buy a Canon printer instead and use OEM inks. That is not the answer
>to the question you posed.

This is a solution to the problem.

> He doesn't use Epson printers, and he advises
>against the use of aftermarket inks and carts although he has never used
>them either.

I have read about them on this ng and others and there are more people
who have a host of printer problems that use them then anything else.

>If you are interested in following his unsolicited advice like mine to buy a Canon
>printer you should know that, so far, Canon printers are not chipped and do
>not have a mechanism for detecting or rejecting aftermarket cartridges. OEM
>Canon bci-6 carts are $12 retail and some are available at Costco for $9.
>Compatable cartridges are available from many reliable vendors from $2 up.

I have not found any reliable vendors that disclose full information as
to what they are selling you and sell a comple BRANDED product mfg and
formulated by a company who labels their product under their own name
and sell that product through all of the selling channels available.
That way you can keep the vendor honest about price and any bogus claims.

>Refilling with MIS or Formulabs inks cost about $1 per cartridge.

Refilling is a pain in the ass but the tinkerers like to do it.

> Read Neil
>Slade's info at http://www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff.html and check
>out http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/

These sites do provide some information but you must rememver they are
Branches of the Church of the AfterMarket Later Day Inks just like
Burt. It is like one lies and the other swears to it. Burt has had
limited sucess with MIS inks and an i960 Canon printer. Other people
have not been so successful. He thinks he is a know it all and has this
holier than thou attitude.

>You might go onto the Nifty forum and ask the question you posed here as
>someone there may have the answer for you on the Epson problem.

And remember this same Burt is on that forum under the name fotofreek so
you may get the same answer or a similar one fron hone of his friends.

You do not see these inks and vendors recommended by Consumer Reports,
Pop Photo, Outdoor Photo, PC Mag, PC World, Cnet, Zdnet or any other
legitimate popular PC or Photo publication. What does that tell you?

>"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
>

>>Go out and buy a Canon. The cheaper alternative is to use OEM ink.
>>
>>Anthony Hughes wrote:
>>

>>>Does anyone know how to get rid of this stupid stupd warning that comes up
>>>EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU PRINT SOMETHING?? (Sorry for shouting!)
>>>
>>>To Epson: I KNOW it's not a genuine cartridge, I bought it. I installed
>>>it. I am grown up enough to take responsibilities for my own actions. I
>>>bought it because yours are too expensive and I don't like being mugged.
>>>Telling me and forcing me to click that stupid button every single time is
>>>only making me less and less inclined to ever buy an Epson product ever
>>>again....
>>>
>>>Cheers
>>>Ant

June 20, 2005 9:51:32 PM

Anthony - please read Measekite's posts for the last several months to get a
sense of how valid his information is. I have had COMPLETE success with MIS
refill inks in my Canon i960. I've used them for almost a year. Great
color match, no clogs, easy to refill. Measekite has s pathological bias
against aftermarket inks, cartridges, and the vendors who sell them.
Decided for yourself.

"Anthony Hughes" <ahughes@NOSPAMrm.com> wrote in message
news:D 96mhn$htn$1@newsfeed.th.ifl.net...
> Does anyone know how to get rid of this stupid stupd warning that comes up
> EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU PRINT SOMETHING?? (Sorry for shouting!)
>
> To Epson: I KNOW it's not a genuine cartridge, I bought it. I installed
> it. I
> am grown up enough to take responsibilities for my own actions. I bought
> it
> because yours are too expensive and I don't like being mugged. Telling me
> and
> forcing me to click that stupid button every single time is only making me
> less and less inclined to ever buy an Epson product ever again....
>
> Cheers
> Ant

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 11:16:36 PM

Burt wrote:

>Anthony - please read Measekite's posts for the last several months to get a
>sense of how valid his information is. I have had COMPLETE success with MIS
>refill inks in my Canon i960.

1 person
1 printer
less than 1 year

Just like I told you

>I've used them for almost a year. Great
>color match, no clogs, easy to refill. Measekite has s pathological bias
>against aftermarket inks, cartridges, and the vendors who sell them.
>Decided for yourself.
>
>"Anthony Hughes" <ahughes@NOSPAMrm.com> wrote in message
>news:D 96mhn$htn$1@newsfeed.th.ifl.net...
>

>>Does anyone know how to get rid of this stupid stupd warning that comes up
>>EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU PRINT SOMETHING?? (Sorry for shouting!)
>>
>>To Epson: I KNOW it's not a genuine cartridge, I bought it. I installed
>>it. I
>>am grown up enough to take responsibilities for my own actions. I bought
>>it
>>because yours are too expensive and I don't like being mugged. Telling me
>>and
>>forcing me to click that stupid button every single time is only making me
>>less and less inclined to ever buy an Epson product ever again....
>>
>>Cheers
>>Ant

June 20, 2005 11:34:00 PM

Just to set the record straight - Measekite said that I have had LIMITED
success with MIS inks. If limited success means excellent color match
side-by-side with OEM inks, no more fading than with my OEM prints, no clogs
in nearly a year of use, and one-tenth the cost, I will gladly accept
limited success. His use of the term, limited success is meant to deny my
consistant reports of excellent experience with this product. Simply a lie
to support his bias. And - If I were the only satisfied user of this
product they would have been out of business long ago. Measekite - at least
you can be honest enough to accurately quote me.

"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
news:o CEte.1383$Bx6.1210@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...

> Burt wrote:
>
>>Anthony - please read Measekite's posts for the last several months to get
>>a sense of how valid his information is. I have had COMPLETE success with
>>MIS refill inks in my Canon i960.
>
> 1 person
> 1 printer
> less than 1 year
>
> Just like I told you
>
>>I've used them for almost a year. Great color match, no clogs, easy to
>>refill. Measekite has s pathological bias against aftermarket inks,
>>cartridges, and the vendors who sell them. Decided for yourself.
>>
>>"Anthony Hughes" <ahughes@NOSPAMrm.com> wrote in message
>>news:D 96mhn$htn$1@newsfeed.th.ifl.net...
>>
>>>Does anyone know how to get rid of this stupid stupd warning that comes
>>>up
>>>EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU PRINT SOMETHING?? (Sorry for shouting!)
>>>
>>>To Epson: I KNOW it's not a genuine cartridge, I bought it. I installed
>>>it. I
>>>am grown up enough to take responsibilities for my own actions. I bought
>>>it
>>>because yours are too expensive and I don't like being mugged. Telling me
>>>and
>>>forcing me to click that stupid button every single time is only making
>>>me
>>>less and less inclined to ever buy an Epson product ever again....
>>>
>>>Cheers
>>>Ant

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 12:18:03 AM

"Anthony Hughes" <ahughes@NOSPAMrm.com> wrote in message
news:D 96mhn$htn$1@newsfeed.th.ifl.net...
> Does anyone know how to get rid of this stupid stupd warning that comes up
> EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU PRINT SOMETHING?? (Sorry for shouting!)
>
> To Epson: I KNOW it's not a genuine cartridge, I bought it. I installed
> it. I
> am grown up enough to take responsibilities for my own actions. I bought
> it
> because yours are too expensive and I don't like being mugged. Telling me
> and
> forcing me to click that stupid button every single time is only making me
> less and less inclined to ever buy an Epson product ever again....
>
> Cheers
> Ant

Have you got the latest versions of the drivers and status monitor? I've
seen an Epson give a warning when changing inks with a similar message, but
never on each and every print session.

You could also try uninstalling the Status Monitor app.
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 12:25:32 AM

Burt wrote:

>Just to set the record straight - Measekite said that I have had LIMITED
>success with MIS inks. If limited success means excellent color match
>side-by-side with OEM inks, no more fading than with my OEM prints, no clogs
>in nearly a year of use, and one-tenth the cost, I will gladly accept
>limited success. His use of the term, limited success is meant to deny my
>consistant reports of excellent experience with this product. Simply a lie
>to support his bias. And - If I were the only satisfied user of this
>product they would have been out of business long ago. Measekite - at least
>you can be honest enough to accurately quote me.

ATTENTION NG READERS

SCOUR ALL OF THE POSTS IN THIS NG AND READ HOW MANY PEOPLE WHO USE
UNBRANDED MIS LABELED INK THERE ARE AND WHAT THEIR EXPERIENCE IS.

Burtie Furtie is the only one I have read about where the results were
possitive.

>"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
>news:o CEte.1383$Bx6.1210@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
>

>>Burt wrote:
>>

>>>Anthony - please read Measekite's posts for the last several months to get
>>>a sense of how valid his information is. I have had COMPLETE success with
>>>MIS refill inks in my Canon i960.
>>>

>>1 person
>>1 printer
>>less than 1 year
>>
>>Just like I told you
>>

>>>I've used them for almost a year. Great color match, no clogs, easy to
>>>refill. Measekite has s pathological bias against aftermarket inks,
>>>cartridges, and the vendors who sell them. Decided for yourself.
>>>
>>>"Anthony Hughes" <ahughes@NOSPAMrm.com> wrote in message
>>>news:D 96mhn$htn$1@newsfeed.th.ifl.net...

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 12:26:58 AM

Buy a Canon Printer and use OEM ink. You should not have these problems.

zakezuke wrote:

><I>Does anyone know how to get rid of this stupid stupd warning that
>comes up
>EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU PRINT SOMETHING??</I>
>
>(pardon my lack of a shift, my right shift key gave out today)
>
>are these refills or prefills?
>
>I never got that warning on my epson, except for some OEM carts bought
>at office depot. I also saw someone reposting news about epson going
>after the great old hong kong and taiwan chip makers. the only way
>around this that I'm presently aware of is to
>
> 1. buy chips, attach and remove them for each replacement
> 2. use epson chips, use a resetter, apply and use
> 3. third party drivers? (never had cause to try them).
>
>what is probally most annoying is the whole technique of drop counting,
>and that 10% margin of error, leaving always at least 3ml of ink in the
>cart. I've found that 5 to 7 empties = one full one.

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 12:27:43 AM

Buy a Canon Printer and USE OEM ink. IT is that simple. No more problem.

Anna Daptor wrote:

>"Anthony Hughes" <ahughes@NOSPAMrm.com> wrote in message
>news:D 96mhn$htn$1@newsfeed.th.ifl.net...
>

>>Does anyone know how to get rid of this stupid stupd warning that comes up
>>EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU PRINT SOMETHING?? (Sorry for shouting!)
>>
>>To Epson: I KNOW it's not a genuine cartridge, I bought it. I installed
>>it. I
>>am grown up enough to take responsibilities for my own actions. I bought
>>it
>>because yours are too expensive and I don't like being mugged. Telling me
>>and
>>forcing me to click that stupid button every single time is only making me
>>less and less inclined to ever buy an Epson product ever again....
>>
>>Cheers
>>Ant
>>

>Have you got the latest versions of the drivers and status monitor? I've
>seen an Epson give a warning when changing inks with a similar message, but
>never on each and every print session.
>
>You could also try uninstalling the Status Monitor app.

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 12:57:25 AM

> Buy a Canon Printer and USE OEM ink. IT is that simple. No more problem.

Until the printhead burns out.
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 1:28:11 AM

Anna Daptor wrote:

>"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
>

>>Buy a Canon Printer and USE OEM ink. IT is that simple. No more problem.
>>

>Until the printhead burns out.

Mine has not burned out. Maybe OEM ink has something in it.

June 21, 2005 1:28:12 AM

measekite wrote:

> Anna Daptor wrote:
>
>> "measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
>>

>>> Buy a Canon Printer and USE OEM ink. IT is that simple. No more
>>> problem.
>>>

>> Until the printhead burns out.
>>

> Mine has not burned out. Maybe OEM ink has something in it.

How about using the damn thing huh?
Frank
June 21, 2005 4:42:30 AM

Canon definitely honour printhead failure during printer warranty in my
geogrphy, I have no reason to believe they would behave differently elsewhere.
Tony

"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>Until the printhead burns out.
>
>This is somehwhat a fair comment. Keep in mind in contrast to Epson
>which again works just fine 'till the printhead burns out or clogs. I
>don't know if the Canon warranty covers the printhead, others here
>would sugest it doesn't. But Epson does for a year as it's not a
>consumable or end user replaceable. Mine was replaced wth a referb,
>but I don't know if this is the norm. With a referb you get a free
>pack of ink.
June 21, 2005 4:45:52 AM

Ant
I have seen this somewhere recently. Just a question, how did you replace the
cartridge? Did you use the driver to do so....in other words let the driver
lead you through the steps for cartridge replacement or did you do it some
other way? And did you replace just one cartridge or more than one at the same
time?
Tony

ahughes@NOSPAMrm.com (Anthony Hughes) wrote:
>Does anyone know how to get rid of this stupid stupd warning that comes up
>EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU PRINT SOMETHING?? (Sorry for shouting!)
>
>To Epson: I KNOW it's not a genuine cartridge, I bought it. I installed it. I
>am grown up enough to take responsibilities for my own actions. I bought it
>because yours are too expensive and I don't like being mugged. Telling me and
>forcing me to click that stupid button every single time is only making me
>less and less inclined to ever buy an Epson product ever again....
>
>Cheers
>Ant
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 4:47:45 AM

Tony wrote:

>Canon definitely honour printhead failure during printer warranty in my
>geogrphy, I have no reason to believe they would behave differently elsewhere.
>Tony da Repaiman
>

>"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>>Until the printhead burns out.
>>>

>>This is somehwhat a fair comment. Keep in mind in contrast to Epson
>>which again works just fine 'till the printhead burns out or clogs. I
>>don't know if the Canon warranty covers the printhead, others here
>>would sugest it doesn't. But Epson does for a year as it's not a
>>consumable or end user replaceable. Mine was replaced wth a referb,
>>but I don't know if this is the norm. With a referb you get a free
>>pack of ink.

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 4:59:06 AM

I have heard this problem. I don't know exactly how to overcome it. Try:
Start --> Settings --> Printers and Faxes --> right click on R300 icon -->
Properties --> Printing preferences --> Maintainance --> Speed &
Progress --> Monitoring Preferences --> change settings (e.g. error).

If it works please tell me about. If not I can tell you sometning else to
try.

--
Yianni
in@mailbox9.gr (remove number nine to reply)

--
"Anthony Hughes" <ahughes@NOSPAMrm.com> wrote in message
news:D 96mhn$htn$1@newsfeed.th.ifl.net...

> Does anyone know how to get rid of this stupid stupd warning that comes up
> EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU PRINT SOMETHING?? (Sorry for shouting!)
>
> To Epson: I KNOW it's not a genuine cartridge, I bought it. I installed
it. I
> am grown up enough to take responsibilities for my own actions. I bought
it
> because yours are too expensive and I don't like being mugged. Telling me
and
> forcing me to click that stupid button every single time is only making me
> less and less inclined to ever buy an Epson product ever again....
>
> Cheers
> Ant

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 2:47:13 PM

Like many "features" this one is designed to annoy the heck out of you
to try to get you to buy OEM next time ;-)

Art

Anthony Hughes wrote:

> Does anyone know how to get rid of this stupid stupd warning that comes up
> EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU PRINT SOMETHING?? (Sorry for shouting!)
>
> To Epson: I KNOW it's not a genuine cartridge, I bought it. I installed it. I
> am grown up enough to take responsibilities for my own actions. I bought it
> because yours are too expensive and I don't like being mugged. Telling me and
> forcing me to click that stupid button every single time is only making me
> less and less inclined to ever buy an Epson product ever again....
>
> Cheers
> Ant

June 24, 2005 8:24:07 AM

> I wonder what would happen if you bought a chip resetter and then
> continued to use the cartridges till they stopped. This would surely use
> up all the ink!

You could, but you'd have to be careful not to run out of ink as this
according to everything i've read would cause a printhead to burn out.
I would strongly reccomend that you employ the use of a refillable cart
and after you have a good stock of ink saved up fill a refillable.
Many of them are clear and don't need chip resetters.
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 11:12:57 AM

In article <1119297787.831097.79340@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote:
><I>Does anyone know how to get rid of this stupid stupd warning that
>comes up
>EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU PRINT SOMETHING??</I>
>
>(pardon my lack of a shift, my right shift key gave out today)
>
>are these refills or prefills?
>
>I never got that warning on my epson, except for some OEM carts bought
>at office depot. I also saw someone reposting news about epson going
>after the great old hong kong and taiwan chip makers. the only way
>around this that I'm presently aware of is to
>
> 1. buy chips, attach and remove them for each replacement
> 2. use epson chips, use a resetter, apply and use
> 3. third party drivers? (never had cause to try them).
>
>what is probally most annoying is the whole technique of drop counting,
>and that 10% margin of error, leaving always at least 3ml of ink in the
>cart. I've found that 5 to 7 empties = one full one.

I think 10% is a little conservative - I opened the first 2 of my "empties"
(genuine carts) and they were literally 1/3 full still....

Ant
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 11:13:50 AM

In article <%vFte.29993$iy2.5203@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net>, "Anna Daptor" <Anna@radio.active.co.uk> wrote:

>"Anthony Hughes" <ahughes@NOSPAMrm.com> wrote in message
>news:D 96mhn$htn$1@newsfeed.th.ifl.net...
>> Does anyone know how to get rid of this stupid stupd warning that comes up
>> EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU PRINT SOMETHING?? (Sorry for shouting!)
>>
>> To Epson: I KNOW it's not a genuine cartridge, I bought it. I installed
>> it. I
>> am grown up enough to take responsibilities for my own actions. I bought
>> it
>> because yours are too expensive and I don't like being mugged. Telling me
>> and
>> forcing me to click that stupid button every single time is only making me
>> less and less inclined to ever buy an Epson product ever again....
>>
>> Cheers
>> Ant
>>

>Have you got the latest versions of the drivers and status monitor? I've
>seen an Epson give a warning when changing inks with a similar message, but
>never on each and every print session.
>
>You could also try uninstalling the Status Monitor app.

I'll try upgrading to the former and if that fails, go with the latter I
think!

Cheers
Ant
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 11:14:29 AM

In article <1119304796.172075@athnrd02>, "Yianni" <in@mailbox9.gr> wrote:
>I have heard this problem. I don't know exactly how to overcome it. Try:
>Start --> Settings --> Printers and Faxes --> right click on R300 icon -->
>Properties --> Printing preferences --> Maintainance --> Speed &
>Progress --> Monitoring Preferences --> change settings (e.g. error).
>
>If it works please tell me about. If not I can tell you sometning else to
>try.

Tried it but it didn't work unfortunately.

Cheers
Ant
June 25, 2005 12:55:47 AM

Anthony Hughes wrote:

> In article <1119297787.831097.79340@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>><I>Does anyone know how to get rid of this stupid stupd warning that
>>comes up
>>EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU PRINT SOMETHING??</I>
>>
>>(pardon my lack of a shift, my right shift key gave out today)
>>
>>are these refills or prefills?
>>
>>I never got that warning on my epson, except for some OEM carts bought
>>at office depot. I also saw someone reposting news about epson going
>>after the great old hong kong and taiwan chip makers. the only way
>>around this that I'm presently aware of is to
>>
>> 1. buy chips, attach and remove them for each replacement
>> 2. use epson chips, use a resetter, apply and use
>> 3. third party drivers? (never had cause to try them).
>>
>>what is probally most annoying is the whole technique of drop counting,
>>and that 10% margin of error, leaving always at least 3ml of ink in the
>>cart. I've found that 5 to 7 empties = one full one.
>>

> I think 10% is a little conservative - I opened the first 2 of my "empties"
> (genuine carts) and they were literally 1/3 full still....
>
> Ant

I wonder what would happen if you bought a chip resetter and then
continued to use the cartridges till they stopped. This would surely use
up all the ink!

rm
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 2:10:42 AM

Try also to disable the ink level monitoring and uncheck the "Advanced
printing features" in the Advanced menu from printer properties.

--

news:D 9gbsm$u9r$3@newsfeed.th.ifl.net...

> In article <1119304796.172075@athnrd02>, "Yianni" <in@mailbox9.gr> wrote:
> >I have heard this problem. I don't know exactly how to overcome it. Try:
> >Start --> Settings --> Printers and Faxes --> right click on R300
icon -->
> >Properties --> Printing preferences --> Maintainance --> Speed &
> >Progress --> Monitoring Preferences --> change settings (e.g. error).
> >
> >If it works please tell me about. If not I can tell you sometning else to
> >try.
> >

> Tried it but it didn't work unfortunately.
>
> Cheers
> Ant
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 12:17:38 PM

Print head burnout from lack of ink in Epson printers is an overly
discussed and basically a nonexistent phenomenon.

People get confused with thermal printer heads which can get damaged if
they run dry, because the head has resistors which literally heat the
ink to project it. Piezo heads, like those used in Epson printers use a
actuator which vibrates, and that generates almost no heat.

In fact, the first several generations of Epson printers had no ink
monitor or method of knowing when the ink would run out other than that
a color just stopped.

The main reason there is a concern that the ink runs out on Epson
printers is twofold.

1) Once the ink runs out, the head can dry out, leaving the residue to
clog the nozzles

2) As airlock can develop which the purge pump can have some problem
dislodging

The first problem is rectified by replacing the cartridge as soon as the
ink shows as running out. The second problem may require helping the
ink flow by using a bit of head cleaner to get the flow going and a
couple of extra cleaning cycles.

Head burnout due to running the heads dry is not common or very likely
with piezo head technology.

Art

zakezuke wrote:

>>I wonder what would happen if you bought a chip resetter and then
>>continued to use the cartridges till they stopped. This would surely use
>>up all the ink!
>

> You could, but you'd have to be careful not to run out of ink as this
> according to everything i've read would cause a printhead to burn out.
> I would strongly reccomend that you employ the use of a refillable cart
> and after you have a good stock of ink saved up fill a refillable.
> Many of them are clear and don't need chip resetters.

July 19, 2005 5:01:17 AM

Art wrote:
The main reason there is a concern that the ink runs out on Epson
printers is twofold.
1) Once the ink runs out, the head can dry out, leaving the residue to
clog the nozzles

2) As airlock can develop which the purge pump can have some problem
dislodging

I have an old Epson 870 that I've not used for around 2 years (out of
ink for colors but ok on black). I wonder should I spend the money to
get new cartridges or refill kit (chip resetter and inks)? I'm afraid
it's already dried and clogged that it would be a waste of money and
effort to get it work. Maybe I should just buy a new printer??

If it may still useful. Is there a brand of chip resetter and inks that
you would recommend?

Thanks for the help,

cpliu
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 12:01:19 PM

I use www.printpal.com
I has worked great with my epsons
also try http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml
for a resetter..

"liu">
> I have an old Epson 870 that I've not used for around 2 years (out of
> ink for colors but ok on black). I wonder should I spend the money to
> get new cartridges or refill kit (chip resetter and inks)? I'm afraid
> it's already dried and clogged that it would be a waste of money and
> effort to get it work. Maybe I should just buy a new printer??
>
> If it may still useful. Is there a brand of chip resetter and inks that
> you would recommend?
>
> Thanks for the help,
>

> cpliu

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 5:30:13 PM

If you used dye inks (standard) in it, it can likely be resurrected. It
will need some older cartridges to make cleaning cartridges with, and a
chip resetter. Chip resetters are available on places like ebay quite
inexpensively now.

Send me an email privately and request the Epson Cleaning Manual for
some ideas and formulas for cleaning fluids.

Art

!