SD Memory card storage

a b } Memory
December 26, 2004 4:30:21 PM

I have two 256 MB SD memory cards, one by Panasonic and one by SanDisk from which all data that shows up in Programs/file explorer/SD card has been eliminated. However, when I go to Settings/system/memory/SD card each shows over 100 MB in use. Can anyone explain this to me, and tell me what to do about it? Many thanks.

More about : memory card storage

Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 26, 2004 4:30:22 PM

Reply to message from "Clem Nichols via PocketPCJunkies.com"
<forum@PocketPCJunkies.com> (Sun, 26 Dec 2004 09:30:21) about ""SD Memory
card storage"":

CN> I have two 256 MB SD memory cards, one by Panasonic and one by SanDisk
CN> from which all data that shows up in Programs/file explorer/SD card
CN> has been eliminated. However, when I go to Settings/system/memory/SD
CN> card each shows over 100 MB in use. Can anyone explain this to me, and
CN> tell me what to do about it? Many thanks.

Normally at this point I would suspect that the fat table is crosslinked.
Since you have nothing on the discs it would do no harm to format them.

However, since both cards are exhibiting the same behavior I would at least
verify, either through a better browser or on a pc, that a hidden file is
not being created. If so, find the program that is responsible and correct.
Then format the cards. ;)
December 26, 2004 7:55:37 PM

Clem Nichols via PocketPCJunkies.com wrote:
> I have two 256 MB SD memory cards, one by Panasonic and one by SanDisk from which all data that shows up in Programs/file explorer/SD card has been eliminated. However, when I go to Settings/system/memory/SD card each shows over 100 MB in use. Can anyone explain this to me, and tell me what to do about it? Many thanks.

Looks like the FAT table has be come broken, posible by taking the card
out while being written to. Using a card reader, plug the card into a PC
and use Windows'Scandisk to fix it. It should recover your data fine.

--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.

Thanks for your response. I have no idea what a "fat table" is, but what I've done was to download a program called "Flash Format" which, after reformatting the card, got it to where it's at least showing zero memory in use. I confess that I have not yet tried to enter any data onto the card. At this point, I'm assuming and hoping there will be no problem. Thanks again.

a b } Memory
December 27, 2004 1:05:15 AM

The FAT Table is the File Allocation Table Table. It is the table of
contents for all the files stored on your card, showing the Operating System
where things are. If it becomes corrupt it can result in the inability to
access files that actually still are there, or indicate that files are still
taking up space that aren't there. Formatting can overwrite the whole card
or just erase and re-establish the FAT with no entries.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Clem Nichols via PocketPCJunkies.com" <forum@PocketPCJunkies.com> wrote in
> Thanks for your response. I have no idea what a "fat table" is, but what
I've done was to download a program called "Flash Format" which, after
reformatting the card, got it to where it's at least showing zero memory in
use. I confess that I have not yet tried to enter any data onto the card.
At this point, I'm assuming and hoping there will be no problem. Thanks
again.

a b } Memory
December 27, 2004 1:09:00 AM

That was the point. File explorer showed there was no data on the card, and yet settings/system/memory/SD card was showing over 100 MB. I installed Flash Format and reformatted. That seems to have taken care of the problem. Thanks for your response.

a b } Memory
December 27, 2004 11:20:46 AM

wrote in message
| Thanks for your response. I have no idea what a "fat table" is, but
what I've done was to download a program called "Flash Format" which,
after reformatting the card, got it to where it's at least showing zero
memory in use. I confess that I have not yet tried to enter any data
onto the card. At this point, I'm assuming and hoping there will be no
problem. Thanks again.

| --

A web search will bring up explanations but it is the File Allocation
Table. You directory listing refers to the FAT which logs each data
sector that comprises the file, so if it becomes corrupt the file can't
be reconstructed from the data sectors it is stored in. There are
actually two FAT's used for the disk, and the first can sometimes be
reconstructed from the second when there is corruption- data recovery
tools try this.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 27, 2004 11:00:17 PM

Reply to message from "Clem Nichols via PocketPCJunkies.com"
<forum@PocketPCJunkies.com> (Sun, 26 Dec 2004 15:05:14) about "Re: SD
Memory card storage":

Bye
D-a-n_L <djlajoie@hotmail.com> Mon, 27 Dec 2004 19:56:27 -0700

=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1 Unregistered