New comp build Freezes every ten Minutes

bulhonkey6

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2006
So, I assembled a comp the other day, everything is working fine except for some reason every ten minutes it will freeze, then the next time i restart it will only take 6 minutes, then 3, then 1. I assumed it was a overheating problem because the cpu was running hot; however, it is still freezing even with a fatty copper "typhoon" heatsink and fan. Next i assumed it was simply my memory timing was off, since my memory timing is supposed to be 4-4-4-12, but it was running at 5-5-5-15. However, whenever I switch that in the setup, it causes my computer to criticly fail, unable to even boot up to a setup screen. I'm having so much trouble identifying the problem because for the ten minutes it is working, it is workign beautifuly: graphics are rocking, cpu is blazing, all are recognized by the computer and are working normal. The only thing that I have found as a possability is that it seems that the nVIDIA NF570-Sli heatsink deal on my motherboard gets REALLY hot. I dont know why it would do this, i have my XFX Geforce 7600GT plugged in and reading fine. So i assume this could be why it keep restarting, but if so, what can i do to stop it? Buy a fatty cooling system? Switch it off in the bios? As a side note, i tried flashing Bios 0203 on my comp, had trouble getting the disk drive to read it or something, anyhow, couldnt do it.

Thanks for all advice and help, i just wanna play BF2 =)

-MA

bulhonkey6

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2006
Thought i'd give you guys my specs

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor 2000MHz HT 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Dual Core Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103735

Motherboard: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131013

VG: XFX PV-T73G-UDE3 Geforce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150141

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250820AS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148142

MEMORY: Patriot eXtreme Performance 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) System Memory - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220142

incinerator

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2004
If you think its your video card overheating try underclocking it and see if the problem continiues. If it does you have found the problem. Another thing that may cause this kind of a problem is a power supply issue though not as likely. Check to see if your power supply is staying within 5% of the regulated voltage on the 5v 3.3v and the 12v lines. One time after a lightning strike (about 7 years ago) my computer would stay on for 10 minutes almost on the dot and then shut down. Didn't know exactly what caused the failure but insurance covered the cost for a new one so I didn't care at the time.

-][nCiNeRaToR-

bulhonkey6

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2006
Hmmm, well. It's not my Geforce, because it is the ONBOARD gaphics that is overheating. How would i check my power supply like that? (sorry for nubeness) I have a 550 rosewill, so it should have enough power, but we'll see.

incinerator

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2004
The check the voltages of the power supply there are two ways to do so. One is go into your bios and there should be a section where it shows the voltages, plus fan speeds ect. The second way is to download a 3rd party program and check it in windows... Asus may also have motherboard monitory software as well (not sure).

When your looking at your voltages say your getting 11.65 v on the 12v rail. 1-(11.65/12) * 100 = 2.916% Check the 3.3v and 5v rail the same way. They should be no greater than +- 5%

-][nCiNeRaToR-

incinerator

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2004
Also you dont have onboard video...
NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP is the chipset controller. Which tend to get pretty warm... maybe to warm in this case but I haven't heard to many problems with them.
-][nCiNeRaToR-

So, I assembled a comp the other day, everything is working fine except for some reason every ten minutes it will freeze, then the next time i restart it will only take 6 minutes, then 3, then 1. I assumed it was a overheating problem because the cpu was running hot; however, it is still freezing even with a fatty copper "typhoon" heatsink and fan. Next i assumed it was simply my memory timing was off, since my memory timing is supposed to be 4-4-4-12, but it was running at 5-5-5-15. However, whenever I switch that in the setup, it causes my computer to criticly fail, unable to even boot up to a setup screen. I'm having so much trouble identifying the problem because for the ten minutes it is working, it is workign beautifuly: graphics are rocking, cpu is blazing, all are recognized by the computer and are working normal. The only thing that I have found as a possability is that it seems that the nVIDIA NF570-Sli heatsink deal on my motherboard gets REALLY hot. I dont know why it would do this, i have my XFX Geforce 7600GT plugged in and reading fine. So i assume this could be why it keep restarting, but if so, what can i do to stop it? Buy a fatty cooling system? Switch it off in the bios? As a side note, i tried flashing Bios 0203 on my comp, had trouble getting the disk drive to read it or something, anyhow, couldnt do it.

Thanks for all advice and help, i just wanna play BF2 =)

-MA

If you have a different video card laying around, try installing it and using the computer. If your computer doesn't crash, you know your 7600GT is failing. HTH.

krazyIvan

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
Try clearing your CMOS on the MB. Many times the Bio's setting get messed up and a CMOS clear is the only way to fix it.
Also have you checked your Bio's Rev. to see if you’re running the latest?
If you suspect memory, try running MemTest86+. It’s self booting and bypasses windows software problems and is a good CPU/memory tester.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Are you sure you attached the new HSF right. I doubt its the problem, but you might want a temperature monitoring program to double check all the temps inside your case. If anything is over 60 degrees celcius, then that might cause an issue...

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
Take off the side cover and point a box fan at it on high. After a few minutes turn on the system and see when/if it shuts off. It is takes longer or not at all then obviously something is overheating.

bulhonkey6

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2006
Well, we got a new problem. So I loaded up a floppy with a new bios, 0203, with the amdflash.exe program on it, executed it, but then did something incredibly stupid; i restarted my comp before the amdflash.exe program was finished. Now, when i start my comp, i get nothing on the screen at all; instead i get a whiny beep from my computer. I tried popping off the motherboard battery to reset the bios, (yes, i unplugged the power supply) but it still isnt loading, just letting off the same annoynig beep. What the hell is wrong with this thing?