Sign in with
Your question

Kentsfield System Build

Last response: in CPUs
August 10, 2006 5:41:56 PM

Ok,

I finally ordered some parts so I can build this unit. The CPU is a Kentsfield 2.4GHz using a Intel 975 BadAxe M/B. I ordered a scythe infinity and some DDR800 with 4-4-4-12 timing.

What do you think is a realistic stable max. Ghz OC over air???
I'm hoping I can get it to 3.4GHz - 3.6GHz. Any recommendation will be welcomed!!
August 10, 2006 5:47:16 PM

Do you mean Woodcrest or Conroe?
August 10, 2006 5:50:58 PM

No its a Kentsfield with 4 cores! Its a ES and had it for 4 weeks but too busy with work to mess with it till now. Most parts are coming in early next weeks so I should be ready to build it on Wed.
Related resources
August 10, 2006 5:55:31 PM

I don't think many people here know first hand what you should do with that Kentsfield, we are all still getting our conroes :D 

What motherboard did you go with to support that CPU?
August 10, 2006 5:59:33 PM

Its a 975 chipset Intel BadAxe board
August 10, 2006 6:08:53 PM

Noones gona be able to help you. What kind of help were you expecting exactly??!?!?!?!
August 10, 2006 6:17:24 PM

I have not OC a computer system in 6-7 years so any help will be good :) 

Its the same GHz as the conroe 6600 so I'll use it as a reference point.
August 10, 2006 6:24:21 PM

How do you get an ES?
August 10, 2006 6:34:50 PM

Here's an answer:
Quote:
Be 'in the know' and spend a lot of money. Generally if you don't know how to get one then you won't be getting one as its all about trust, people won't want you to spill the beans who sold you it this early as it could cost them there jobs.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=103982&page=13
August 10, 2006 6:39:45 PM

So basically someone who works for the company 'acquires' one somehow and sells it to someone they know for a lot of money?
August 10, 2006 6:45:16 PM

Quote:
So basically someone who works for the company 'acquires' one somehow and sells it to someone they know for a lot of money?

Intel reps gives ES (samples) out to key partners and review sites like this. The partners can get gready and sell them for real $$$ but I don't think that happens too often.

I did not buy mine - it was given to me by my rep.
August 10, 2006 6:45:31 PM

You know what? I've heard reports that Kentsfields suck. In fact, they suck so much you won't want it. Give it to me, I know how to take care of it for you :wink:
Just joking, you lucky bastard.
August 10, 2006 6:48:53 PM

I'd guess. Most people who get stuff early do it for a living. Most of them probably have their own tech enthusiast sites on the web. After a while, they pick up contacts in the industry who can arrange to get stuff early. If you ask me, Intel probably does it on purpose to build hype for future products.

Moral of the story
: Have a fancy website and be loaded with lots of money if you want tech early.
I couldn't do it. I'm poor and have no friends. :cry: 
August 10, 2006 9:09:43 PM

:p  :wink: [/quote]
Quote:

Moral of the story
: Have a fancy website and be loaded with lots of money if you want tech early.
I couldn't do it. I'm poor and have no friends. :cry: 

Well see if you had young as a friend you wouldn't be in that situation...well what are you waiting for, go suck up like a teacher's pet!
August 10, 2006 9:16:21 PM

Quote:

That will be that last he'll get an ES. They will can his donkey.
August 10, 2006 9:31:37 PM

Quote:
Ok,

I finally ordered some parts so I can build this unit. The CPU is a Kentsfield 2.4GHz using a Intel 975 BadAxe M/B. I ordered a scythe infinity and some DDR800 with 4-4-4-12 timing.

What do you think is a realistic stable max. Ghz OC over air???
I'm hoping I can get it to 3.4GHz - 3.6GHz. Any recommendation will be welcomed!!

Yeah 3.4GHz is probably pretty realistic with the Scythe. I've seen 3.6GHz but that was an a very tweaked and Vdroop modded system with a Tower 120 for air cooling.

Best of luck, Kentsfield is a great chip.
August 10, 2006 9:42:22 PM

Awesome that it's a quad core chip, sucks that it's stuck on a 1066MHz BUS. :?
August 10, 2006 10:24:43 PM

Quote:

Intel reps gives ES (samples) out to key partners and review sites like this. The partners can get gready and sell them for real $$$ but I don't think that happens too often.

I did not buy mine - it was given to me by my rep.

Does that mean you get to keep it? Or do you have to give it back? :lol: 
August 10, 2006 10:47:09 PM

We get to keep it most of the time - I'm sure I can keep this one :) . They also gave us some 6800 ES too. I guess this is one of the main benefit working in this industry. Anyhow I have not been soo excited over a CPU passed 6-7 years. The Kentsfield or the Conroe will replace FX-57 system I built last year (I did not even bother to OC the FX).
August 10, 2006 10:50:25 PM

Quote:
We get to keep it most of the time - I'm sure I can keep this one :) . They also gave us some 6800 ES too. I guess this is one of the main benefit working in this industry. Anyhow I have not been soo excited over a CPU passed 6-7 years. The Kentsfield or the Conroe will replace FX-57 system I built last year (I did not even bother to OC the FX).

Wow... lucky guy. Wish I could just be handed a ES model and only have to order parts. Must be rough.. :wink:
!